IR 2135Ti Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at my gun during my 6 month disassembly and cleaning. I am trying to find a way to get even more power out of it.

Has anyone here tried modifying an impact wrench for more power?

If I understand the properties of these tools correctly, the weight of the hammers will increase torque whereas a faster motor will just speed up the blows per second.

Maybe I could make some hammers out of depleted uranium?

Originally Posted By: George7941
I expect a severe curtailment of service life if you try to get more power out of a 2135.

Just buy another IR rated for more torque.

That isn't what I was asking.

Plus, the IR2135TiMAX only has a little more torque.

I want...over 9000 foot pounds, haha

Run more air pressure .I would crankup the compressor on my service van. My IR 231 would take off lug nuts on the semis.

The tool only has 780 ft/lbs in reverse and 600 ft/lbs in forward. The 1000 FT/lbs of NBT is this: in PERFECT CONDITIONS you take a 9/16" bolt and tighten it to 1000 ft/lbs and in six second the 2135TIMAX will take it off.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
The tool only has 780 ft/lbs in reverse and 600 ft/lbs in forward. The 1000 FT/lbs of NBT is this: in PERFECT CONDITIONS you take a 9/16" bolt and tighten it to 1000 ft/lbs and in six second the 2135TIMAX will take it off.

What are you talking about?

I did not come here for specifications on my tools, I came here asking for ways to increase to usable torque!

If you are not providing 24 cfm @ 90 psi, then you are not using what the tool can already provide w/o modifications.

What ft-lb are you really trying to achieve?
What is your existing compressor setup including air hose ID x length?

Agree with the air pressure post above. Our shop shared our compressors with our body shop and those industrious body guys bumped the pressure up from 100 to about 140psi so their sanders would run faster. Did wonders for our air tools as well.

155PSI with a two stage shop compressor through 3/8" hose.

I don't think the supply can be improved upon much. What does need to be improved though, the hammers or the motor?

If you are not running 24 cfm@90 changing hammers are not going to do you any good. To achieve 24 cfm you will need a true 7.5 hp two stage compressor, high flow fittings, and short air hose.If you need more it may be time to step up to a 3/4 or 1" impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back