*Investors Blog*

Preferred stock and bonds go the opposite direction of interest rates. A strategy now is to buy preferred stock, collect your dividends and then you could (if you want) sell the stock when interest rates decline.

Preferred stock and bonds go the opposite direction of interest rates. A strategy now is to buy preferred stock, collect your dividends and then you could (if you want) sell the stock when interest rates decline.
Been doing that for a long time. Basically why I decided to retire. I went (almost) all in at the bottom of C-19 lows, (~March April 2020) - I bought many top names in the teens. They just went right back above par when we were still locked down. I am still holding a few (B of A, for example) most I sold before rates started jacking up again.

January was pretty good to investors. Many of the leaders, not surprisingly, were the losers of last year.
Of course, over the last 5 year run, everyone looks great!
10 or 20 year and you look like a freakin' genius.

January was pretty good to investors. Many of the leaders, not surprisingly, were the losers of last year.

Last year I made a little money with SQQQ….. this year it’s TQQQ.

Money can be made in either market.

Last year I made a little money with SQQQ….. this year it’s TQQQ.

Money can be made in either market.
Last year I was down... I won't say. Paper loss, of course. YTD is nice. Neither are realized, so they are just numbers.
In a long term strategy, a good or bad year is not gonna change my life.

Congrats on your investing Dave. Well done!

The Market goes up over time but not all the stocks in it do . So I guess it depends on what and when you bought within the last 5 years .

These things usually are the result of many policies and actions over time. The 70’s saw the Saudi oil embargo, Bretton Woods and increased social spending.

What we are seeing right now is a spike in inflation due to untold trillions of $$ flooding the economy. We have gone from normal background inflation to 17.15% in a flash. That is not normal and is unprecedented.
I mremember the inflation when Nixon took us off the gold Standard to fund the cost of the Vietnam war.

The Market goes up over time but not all the stocks in it do . So I guess it depends on what and when you bought within the last 5 years .
That's true all the time; moreso in the short term. 5 years is a short term, im my book.
I have 3 groups with Schwab along with some other stuff with Fidelity.
1 - The Schwab Wealth Advisory stuff; the Schwab team makes recommendations which I approve. This is pretty much safety stuff, IMO.
2 - A CA double tax free muni bond fund. Schwab recommended it as a balance and for tax help, but I don't like it at all. I will probably cut it in half or further.
3 - A few stocks I have picked and my stock options and grants from my career. Fidelity and Schwab have been raggin' on me to diversify. I did sell some years ago; stupidest thing I ever did. That's when I canned Fidelity and rolled almost everything to Schwab. I have some TSLA here.

Bottom line; there is nothing like a nice mutual. A true no brainer. The S&P beats just about everything over time. Picking stocks is not my game.
I really don't buy individual stocks. I don't think about this stuff too much anymore.

Additionally, CA real estate is a gold mine, not to mention you gotta live somewhere, right? Most importantly, invest in yourself. Education is key.

Over time, there have been plenty of highs and lows. But the long term strategy has proven to work in my case.

Bottom line; there is nothing like a nice mutual. A true no brainer. The S&P beats just about everything over time. Picking stocks is not my game.
I really don't buy individual stocks. I don't think about this stuff too much anymore.
(y) Sound advice/outlook.

The Market seems to be confused about the rate hike . It doesn't know if it should go up or down .

The Market seems to be confused about the rate hike . It doesn't know if it should go up or down .

I agree, but the sting of all those rate hikes have not fully hit yet.

Sunny blue skies above your head….. 100 miles away dark skies and storm clouds.

I was up 7% last year despite the market being -18%, I am heavy in Exxon. Turned out it's OK to be heavily weighted once in a while. Not so hopeful this year though.

Last edited:
I agree, but the sting of all those rate hikes have not fully hit yet.

Sunny blue skies above your head….. 100 miles away dark skies and storm clouds.
It takes SIX MONTHS for the rate hike to meet the real economy.

Additionally, CA real estate is a gold mine, not to mention you gotta live somewhere, right?
I would not invest there, but maybe a goo source of passive income would be rental properties????? Own a few rental properties and have instant passive income. (and the real risk is abusive tenants?)
Many places right now, rent/month is 100 or so less than a mortgage payment.

Just look what Blackrock is doing.

Back