*Investors Blog*

I sense Musk had a sense of urgency in the Twitter purchase- and overlooked many deep issues to include working with IT professionals and the power of letters from groups telling advertisers to stop advertising on the platform. Will be a great MBA case study in the following years for many graduate students.

IT professionals are the only segment of a workforce that can collapse a major business in a matter of minutes.
Maybe he overpayed, but I don't think he cares - although you could argue he paid $54.00 per share and its peak was closer to $80. His bid was before the rest of the market went into freefall so his timing was off.

Twitter showed its potential in the last two presidential elections. Literally a politician or CEO or celebrity can communicate with their faithful in a way that's much like a individual unfiltered text message from a friend. No other media platform can do this, at least yet. It started going South when Twitter started banning people - so they became part of the message not the median - which really removed their main advantage - the ability for people to hear from those they want to hear from without interference. I think Elon figures that he can turn this back into what it was - a virtual public square for everyone. Whether he can or not remains to be seen, but that's why he bought it.

IT professionals are the only segment of a workforce that can collapse a major business in a matter of minutes.
Then its not properly managed. It need to be segmented with redundancy.

Our relatively small company has 3 redundant servers, in 3 different buildings in 3 different states. 2 we run, one is run by a 3rd party (redundancy requires differentiation). We did have one of those hacker groups a few years back lock up our operational server and demand a couple hundred grand. We reconfigured and were back up in a few hours.

The server at the 3rd party ensures a disgruntled employee can't do the same thing from the inside.

Now IT can shut me down in an instant, but I am not important enough that many would notice - but even IT can't shut the whole thing down.

Still just short-term/medium-term noise. Short of WW3 and/or the collapse of society that trend line will continue. If it does then great! If it doesn't then we will all have bigger problems than our ROI. Are we at the end of the economic cycle where it all comes crashing down? I don't know but I'll go on assuming there's some reason to continue on until given evidence to the contrary.
Not disagreeing with that - but reality can deviate from trend line in the near term - and mostly does. If there isn't much money flowing into the market, then the overall market at best can move sideways. Individual stocks can still go up and down, but the overall market direction is determined by inflows or outflows. With the fed sucking up $90B of liquidity a month, that needs to come from somewhere?

Musk way over paid, especially for a company in a mess. But the drop in TSLA hurt him (and his investors) a lot more.
Will it work out? Dunno. But Elon did not get where he is for being a dummy, or for being wrong too much.
  1. SpaceX
  2. Tesla
  3. Solar City and Tesla Energy
  4. Neuralink (my personal favorite)
  5. The Boring Company
  6. And now Twitter (my least favorite)

I detest Musk. I considered a Tesla a few years ago but passed solely because of Musk, I don't regret that decision.

Consider the source. If your getting laid off - contractor or not - of course your not going to like the new owner.

I am no fan of musk either - but it seems like all powerful people are narcissist's. I invest in companies to make money and nothing else.

Musk way over paid, especially for a company in a mess. But the drop in TSLA hurt him (and his investors) a lot more.
Will it work out? Dunno. But Elon did not get where he is for being a dummy, or for being wrong too much.
  1. SpaceX
  2. Tesla
  5. The Boring Company
Hubris can be an insidious personality defect for egomaniacs where "pulling it off" with ever-increasingly desperate situations becomes the objective and not making good sound decisions. They come to believe their own hype and surround themselves with yes men - they come to believe that they can do anything.

We will all get to see whether or not this was a good decision.

1. SpaceX
  2. Tesla
  5. The Boring Company
Yeah, I agree and as you know I used to admire the guy, forget my comments about his EVs I am talking about his businesses. My EV comments were always leveled peer to peer in forums in the sense that I promote the idea that competition is around the corner and I dont think my "peers" are taking that into account. I can only hope Musk is. Its already unfolding in China, Chinese EV maker blowing past him in sales numbers ect and that is just one company out of dozens coming online around the world.
This Twitter thing, hmmm... I find it hard to believe it was part of his plan but maybe it is, to create havoc and get his policies implemented at Twitter and turn it into a cash cow. I do admire him for his stance on get to the office, gosh, as a society how spoiled can one get.

WIth that said you mention the "Solar" aspect of Tesla? Not sure if that is what you mean by your post. I do not follow the company like others, but Tesla is canceling solar projects like crazy and again, not interested enough to read all the reports.

Do you guys think inflation is finally starting to decline ?

I’m thinking about my game plan for 2023.

My game plan for 2022 made me a little bit of money on some good strategies, doing my taxes in March will hurt due to all the short term capital gains.

Last edited:

My game plan for 2022 made me a little bit of money on some good strategies, doing my taxes in March will hurt due to all the short term capital gains.
As I have said on here before - my predictions suck, so I won't make one.

However, I wouldn't look simply at headline inflation. You need to look either at core inflation - or on some other boards I read - way over my head macro stuff - many people there believe the fed is actually looking at median inflation. Median has just leveled off - so that would tend to indicate that might mean the FED will slow down rate increases - if that theory is correct. They still want to push inflation down though - so some more increases are likely - at a slower pace.

Personally I am waiting for the dot plot for the last meeting to come out - I believe we see them on November 23rd.

Also looking at headline annualized CPI can be misleading. You should also be looking at MoM to give you a better real time inflation read.

Core CPI - MoM https://www.investing.com/economic-calendar/core-cpi-56

Median - https://www.clevelandfed.org/indicators-and-data/median-cpi

As long as consumption remains high, why would sellers lower prices?
I see the rate of inflation "tamed", somewhat.

Congrats on the short term gains! Paying taxes means you are making money! I wanna pay more!
I have a couple of big purchases I hope to make in perhaps the next months to a year. Gonna pay and pay and pay for whatever holdings I have to sell.

Reactions: GON
I detest Musk. I considered a Tesla a few years ago but passed solely because of Musk, I don't regret that decision.

Its all business though. Twitter is losing money and has struggled since the day it was born.
Musk intends to make it profitable. Even the CEO who just left the company acknowledges he hired too fast and too many.
Add to that, a contract worker knows he/she is just that, a contract worker, many of which are not even in the USA.
Actually anyone in the financial world who knows Twitter was way overstaffed and something had to be done.
Btw I am not posting in defense of Musk who you dislike only in defense of private business people being able to do as they see fit with their business without government interference after all look at your government non balance sheet *LOL*
https://www.usdebtclock.org/

(no politics, just making a point about business, not Musk)
Let me make a comment about the media too. Twitter is a big nothing in the employment news 15,000 employees around the world is a needle in a haystack compared to big companies but because it is Musk the media stories are all over the place because he makes them money in advertising revenue every time you click.

Glad I sold Visa earlier! These companies need to wake up.

What a complete money tunnel with FTX.

Can't help but wonder who is the spin master author from Visa when this was Visa's big line just a few weeks ago when Visa signed an agreement with FTX:

""The payments processor has increasingly embraced the emerging cryptoverse, having recently praised non-fungible tokens for their ability to strengthen the speed of commerce.""

Strengthen the speed of commerce. LOL.

I wait for the trend to be confirmed. One month is not it.

Back