Investors, anyone follows MF's Hidden Gems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that's the right board for this question.
I noticed quite a few investors on this forum, and I would appreciate anyone's comments.

How many of you are subscribed to Motley Fool's Hidden Gems? Any other MF's service?
Does it influence your investment decisions in a way?
Is that a good value to pay for?

I'm a long-time MF newsletter subscriber, but I haven't purchased anything from them yet, but I strongly consider. I have to take semi-passive approach to my investments, and MF sounds like a good way to go.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I ain't got the magic touch, but MF is good for the beginner (I guess) if you read it in the Sunday paper.

I certainly would NOT pay them a dime if you are semi-passive and definitely not if you are a trader. Mostly their picks are crap. IMHO and agreeing with GM.

Thanks folks! I thought about taking their (presumably) filtered small caps picks and then going through them, scrutinizing myself. I can't really imagine how do I approach thousands small caps screening without even knowing what do these businesses do...
I'm not a day or week or month trader. OK, then I have to dig more.

So Pablo, have you ever bought anything from CAN SLIM or other picks? Does IBD provide enough tools to do your own research, other then technical analyses? Overall, were you pleased with your 2yr subscription, or you might as well do it on your own?

I have subscribed to MF's free newsletter for years, but havent found too many practical ideas lately. Today they mainly use it as a tool to sell extra-cost services.

The "system" I use is fundamental analysis first, using stock screeners for low P/E with good earnings growth. Factors like debt/equity and price/sales are also important. Then, technical analyis is used to find a buy point, or move on if the chart looks bad. I am not a frequent trader, as I want to be somewhat tax efficient. More than half are large-caps that pay dividends.

Yes, I attempt to use the disciplines of CAN SLIM. A lot of my picks come from the IBD 100. These are pretty good picks, just from the Sat charts, but they do suffer from the Cramer effect. Come Monday AM everybody wants in...the key is to get these buys in early or better - own them before a good buy point
smile.gif

I will re-up with IBD, it has easily paid for itself. I however am a cash poor ba$tard, due to my own saving choices (and all my trading is with my SD IRA and 401K Brokeragelink) and will maybe just do the 1 year....dunno yet.

Yes I follow Cramer (via the web recap) and do buy occasionally if the stock is a solid company, not a pump and dump. I get in early more often than not lately - I think Fidelity has some level of size clout, although it's FIFO for order execution. Again it's especially cool
when Cramer hypes something I own!! I sell for sure on that news.
smile.gif

Hey if you are looking for a small cap portfolio check out American Association of Individual Investors. http://www.aaii.com/

I was a subscriber for 2 years and made some money on their small cap portfolio but it wasn't in my investment style, so I gave up the subscription.

PF newsletter is more along what I personally like. But the AAII shadow porfolio has a very long term triple digit track record (Yes 100's of percent) so if small caps are to your liking check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back