Forum feedback needed RE: summer toy

I think I asked about this car before, but I'll keep this short: 1994 C4 convertible, polo green over tan, auto, ~75k. Good customer of mine owns it, and I've serviced it for the last 30k miles. He bought it from an estate and proceeded to replace countless maintenance items from wheel bearings to tires. Most recently, I replaced the water pump, complete Opti-Spark unit, ignition control module, plugs and wires and flushed the cooling system.

He wants $10k, which is hilarious and he knows it. Comps are in the $7-8k range, which to me sets my cap at $6k-ish. I know he paid $4k for the car, and he's put about that into it over the past 4 years or so. As we all know, repairs do nothing for value when you're looking at a run of the mill example, even when it comes to the Corvette.

The way I see it, the C4 is still under-appreciated. In no way would I be buying it as an investment... quite the contrary. I intend to drive it every single time the weather permits and then some. Call it a gut feeling, but the proposition brings me back to the day I picked up my CB900. At the time, the price I paid was more or less market value, but I was buying as an investor not a consumer. 4 years and barely 500 miles later, it's sitting peacefully in the garage printing money. Conservative estimate puts it's value at $5-7k as it sits.

So what say you? 1994 C4 'vert, auto, 75k, maintained but used for $6k. Yay or nay?

Keep in mind that '94 4L60E's are different than '95 4L60E's, And '95 4L60E's are different than '96 4L60E's....Valve Body & Pump wise.
The first 2 years of the 4L60E '93/'94 ('94 was the first year it was used in the 'Vette) are known to fail early.

Take's quite a bit of updating to make it reliable for the long haul.

He wants $10k, which is hilarious and he knows it. Comps are in the $7-8k range, which to me sets my cap at $6k-ish.
Where do you see ones in the $7-8k range? More like $10-15K with similar miles for nice ones.

Well maintained and nice looking and cared for is worth the $$$$ . You can do the BITOG favorite of I bought this used car and how do I clean the sludge from the engine posts.

It's in good shape, but it's not perfect. The CDM box for the radio is dying, the interior trim is a bit worn, there's slight oxidation on the wheels. Oil pan gasket seeps. It's also a fairly base model, basically zero options other than being an automatic, at least as my lacking knowledge of C4 options leads me to believe.

Keep in mind that '94 4L60E's are different than '95 4L60E's, And '95 4L60E's are different than '96 4L60E's....Valve Body & Pump wise.
The first 2 years of the 4L60E '93/'94 ('94 was the first year it was used in the 'Vette) are known to fail early.

Take's quite a bit of updating to make it reliable for the long haul.

Funny you mention that: I've always felt that the transmission in the subject at hand shifted incredibly slow, even by 4L60 standards. The 1-2 shift takes ages, and while 2-3 and 3-4 seem fine I always get the feeling that one too many "spirited" accelerations will send the trans running for the hills.

I just didn’t care for the driving dynamics of that generation, compared to what happened 10 years later. If you particularly like the C4, then that one is one you know. but the updates soon after that really did a lot inside and out to improve handling in so many ways. Just my 2 cents …. I realize ”corvette” whispers a language all its own, and I’m a little outside of that parlance.

Back