Investing Strategies. What is your move?

For the rising interest rates, and high inflation, I feel the "correction" has been quite muted.

I'm still extremely cautious. I'm 100% in a money market mutual fund earning 5.15% annually, and am waiting for the eventual
big decline to come. Warren Buffet sold a net $10 Billion in stocks in 2023 Q1.

I still am a believer in the buffet indicator and that valuation is the most important factor to consider before starting any investment.

Gimmicky. No one is going to sit on a Teams call wearing this stupid thing. A lot of people will buy it, claim it's the greatest thing ever and then it'll end up sitting in a drawer.

A lot of people scratched their heads when the Apple Watch was introduced. Now it sells around 50 million a year.

Once people understand what the product can do and how it fits into their lives then they will show more interest.

Apple Pay is another example.

Gimmicky. No one is going to sit on a Teams call wearing this stupid thing. A lot of people will buy it, claim it's the greatest thing ever and then it'll end up sitting in a drawer.
There are lots of commercial applications for this type of tech. Like being able to visualize your new home before its built. Or the site lines of a road before its constructed. Or may allow a surgeon to practice an operation virtually before they do it. Etc.

I did the solar project as a hedge against future electricity prices, as I knew I would be retiring and would use more electricity. Plus the PG&E NEM-2 program was pretty good. Rolling a new roof into the project and getting 30% tax credit sealed the deal. I pulled the trigger after maybe 4 years of consideration. Turned out to be a pretty lucky decision. The Tesla was more of a high tech gift for my wife and support of the local Fremont plant workers. Like many, I did not see Tesla as a viable car company long term. I was wrong and cannot see myself buying another new ICE vehicle again. The EV is way more fun and definitely ultra low cost to operate.

Sometimes you get lucky.

I’m in Austin and didnt know Hertz was renting Teslas, next time I’m rent one. I was driving about 150 miles per day and I don’t see a charging station at hotel. I don’t want to have to drive a distance to get it charged.

Tesla needs to refresh their line up of vehicles and finally bring Cyber Truck to market, a sexy coupe would also be a wise decision.

There are lots of commercial applications for this type of tech. Like being able to visualize your new home before its built. Or the site lines of a road before its constructed. Or may allow a surgeon to practice an operation virtually before they do it. Etc.

I watched the presentation on the Apple TV. This takes all the capability of the Mac and iPhone and lets you wear it. It has a virtual keyboard, uses hand gestures for commands plus controls on the visor itself for customizing the experience.

There is a lot here.

I watched the presentation on the Apple TV. This takes all the capability of the Mac and iPhone and lets you wear it. It has a virtual keyboard, uses hand gestures for commands plus controls on the visor itself for customizing the experience.

There is a lot here.
It's an Apple. It's gonna be a cut above; Apple innovates. They do not follow.

I’m in Austin and didnt know Hertz was renting Teslas, next time I’m rent one. I was driving about 150 miles per day and I don’t see a charging station at hotel. I don’t want to have to drive a distance to get it charged.

Tesla needs to refresh their line up of vehicles and finally bring Cyber Truck to market, a sexy coupe would also be a wise decision.
Supercharger Map Austin

I did the solar project as a hedge against future electricity prices, as I knew I would be retiring and would use more electricity. Plus the PG&E NEM-2 program was pretty good. Rolling a new roof into the project and getting 30% tax credit sealed the deal. I pulled the trigger after maybe 4 years of consideration. Turned out to be a pretty lucky decision. The Tesla was more of a high tech gift for my wife and support of the local Fremont plant workers. Like many, I did not see Tesla as a viable car company long term. I was wrong and cannot see myself buying another new ICE vehicle again. The EV is way more fun and definitely ultra low cost to operate.

Sometimes you get lucky.

My biggest solar venture will be solar powered portable battery packs for USB charging and such. I had good success with Chinese personal fans that charged off solar when we had no power for several weeks. Something that will charge up devices like iPhones and lights is what we need.

A lot of people scratched their heads when the Apple Watch was introduced. Now it sells around 50 million a year.

Once people understand what the product can do and how it fits into their lives then they will show more interest.

Apple Pay is another example.

This guy said it best.

AAPL is at all time highs from what I see.
Those headsets are stupid. And the market knows it. Sure AAPL is a decent company, but they aren't infallible. And short term the announcement was not a hit.

1686052195011.jpg

I look at long term versus one day. The other thread might suit you.
Well of course you do as we all should.

But if you think these idiot goggles are the path, then well OK. THAT was my point. What's not true about it? Market did not like the announcement.

APPL may go up or down as the time goes by, idiot goggles will have little to do with it.

Well of course you do as we all should.

But if you think these idiot goggles are the path, then well OK. THAT was my point. What's not true about it? Market did not like the announcement.

APPL may go up or down as the time goes by, idiot goggles will have little to do with it.
I wish I still owned apple. If it drops much I am a buyer.

I agree the current goggles are not very useful. But it shows progression of technology. The virtual reality goggles tie into AI - you can map a scenario, and record how a human brain reacts and responds to it - so AI can capture that data. Once AI has that data - or probably thousands of human reactions to the same experience - it can map that, expand on it, perfect it, learn how to do it by itself.

For example. you could have 1000 surgeons us the goggles to VR removal of an appendix. AI could capture all 1000 procedures, optimize the process, and direct a robot to do it. The current problem with robotic surgery - surgeons don't code, and coders don't perform surgery. This solves that problem. As one example.

The oil production cuts by OPEC are having their early effect as prices jump.

Meanwhile I listened to a radio show on Saturday that talked about this lopsided market. Market breadth is very weak here. The SP500 is being influenced by just a handful of stocks. Also, some interesting talk about hotel real estate and how that might affect the commercial real estate markets going forward. The big chains have a ton of properties and not all of them are profitable. Consolidation has made a lot of properties duplicative.

And finally, the first news this morning says that UBS is planning huge layoffs after the Credit Suisse buyout. Up to 11,000 alone in Switzerland.

We talked about this a few weeks ago where companies will walk away from commercial real estate.

Last edited:
Back