Investing Strategies. What is your move?

Its trading over $53 after hours?

If I knew anything about banks I might have done it. I actually looked up their 2022 stress test scores and they were like the highest in the group - so either the fed stress test is bogus, or something weird happened today.

Strangely SIVB didn't show up in either 2022 or 2021 stress tests?
I
Its trading over $53 after hours?

If I knew anything about banks I might have done it. I actually looked up their 2022 stress test scores and they were like the highest in the group - so either the fed stress test is bogus, or something weird happened today.

Strangely SIVB didn't show up in either 2022 or 2021 stress tests?
Yeah, I saw the after hours at $53.65
I dont know much about them. Im sure you saw that I am in the middle of packing and preparing for a move to a new home over the next 7 days.
Also in the past in here I mentioned I might do some day trading but never had time and not comfortable with it in the purest sense of the word.
So, the banks get trashed all because some tech spec 16th largest bank fails along with some others tied up with bitcoin and the other failed exchange.

I thought Schwab was a reasonable risk to buy right now, its been a solid performer, got slaughtered in the last week because its the banking industry. They have made statements (which you even seem to know more than me) that something like 90% of their deposits are covered under FDIC insurance which seems astounding (the 90 number can be off by 10)
I did all this on the fly figuring even if I am wrong and it goes down to the low 40s or worse, sooner or later it will come back. At the same time, I think there is just as much chance it starts clawing its way back up as the shock factor of SVB starts wearing off.

The last time it was this low was 2 years ago... so I feel comfortable enough that I am not throwing my money away because nothing fundamentally has changed with Schwab but the industry for now has. Whether or not my reasoning makes any sense doesnt matter to much to me, every time I dont listen to my own advice I regret it mostly because I was scared to jump in like this *LOL*
I did purchase a fair amount of my budget leaving little cash to invest in this account. It may not be a lot to many in here, but is to me at the same time, a bit of a loss will be a sting to my self esteem but not my finances really.

I guess time will tell, have no idea how long I may hold it. I mean, I REALLY did this on the fly and felt like a care free way to invest for now because I dont have time to play around and honestly I dont want to. I do wish the P/E was lower.

I do want to state. I am not promoting Schwab to anyone, just letting those know what I did today for myself. I never really believed in catching a falling knife but for some stupid reason I think I caught this one by the handle.

Futures down as the Saudi Bank decides that Credit Suisse is not worth the money.

The markets realize that this banking crisis is not over yet.

I will likely not be taxed on long term gains in the near term before MRD kicks in, so looking a high dividend securities now.
Tax is a big concern in retirement - more than I thought it would be.

i'm in love with FEDS, let them do it!

people are living high on the hog for so long

let them cool off

I will likely not be taxed on long term gains in the near term before MRD kicks in, so looking a high dividend securities now.
Tax is a big concern in retirement - more than I thought it would be.
OH I knew it. Always is and has been.

You looked at muni's? I love them. Now actually may be the time to go with some selected funds rather than individual bonds.

Why the heck would the FED keep jacking rates??

The problem started years ago. When the economy was doing well at close to zero % interest rates, that was the time the Fed should have started raising slowly. But they waited and with increased spending they were forced to do so.

Remember Paul Volcker raised rates much quicker and in huge step’s compared to today. He wasn’t timid. He knew that rate hikes would spur a recession but it was the medicine we had to take at that time. That period was of course a much more tense time economically.

The problem started years ago. When the economy was doing well at close to zero % interest rates, that was the time the Fed should have started raising slowly. But they waited and with increased spending they were forced to do so.

Remember Paul Volcker raised rates much quicker and in huge step’s compared to today. He wasn’t timid. He knew that rate hikes would spur a recession but it was the medicine we had to take at that time. That period was of course a much more tense time economically.
Link to the second paragraph? I’ve read otherwise.

I think you and the FED are incorrect. I’ve adjusted and am ready (don't fight the FED), but just because people think it's right or want others to suffer - the data should be the driver.

Last edited:
OH I knew it. Always is and has been.

You looked at muni's? I love them. Now actually may be the time to go with some selected funds rather than individual bonds.
Just be aware Muni's (outside a Roth) are also used in calculating what % of your SS income will be taxed. Brackets are 0/50/85% - easy to bump in to the 85% if 1/2 of your income is other than SS. The Income threshold used by the IRS has not been indexed since 1983, IIRC. 32K$ calculated aggregate will make some SS taxable for MFJ filers.!

Just be aware Muni's (outside a Roth) are also used in calculating what % of your SS income will be taxed. Brackets are 0/50/85% - easy to bump in to the 85% if 1/2 of your income is other than SS. The Income threshold used by the IRS has not been indexed since 1983, IIRC. 32K$ calculated aggregate will make some SS taxable for MFJ filers.!

Still advantageous over regular income.

Pablo,

I do strongly feel a Black Swan will come home to roost later this year.

Get ready and have cash on the sidelines for lots of buying opportunities.

Something to ponder. This is from Michael Hartley, Chief Investment Strategist at Bank of America.

“Bank emergency borrowing = tighter lending standards = small business credit crunch = higher unemployment... Tipping point for US$: end of Silicon Valley hegemony, start of entrenched high inflation & budget deficits"

BofA's Michael Hartnett

Back