Inverter or generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're currently without power after a big thunderstorm knocked down a bunch of power poles nearby. They're still not sure when power will be back.

So I'm looking for something to power our fridge, to avoid wasting all that food.

So, first question - would one of the 800W 2-stroke HF generators cut it to power a full-size side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (made circa 2005)?

Second question - does anybody have experience with car-powered inverters? This seems nice, as I wouldn't have to worry about running a generator every once in a while while not in use, or carburetors gumming up, etc. Also, our power outages are usually not very long. Can a small car alternator handle this load? Will 6-gauge jumper cables work?

These are the units I'm looking at:
Generator
Inverter

An invertor isn't big enough and your alternator isn't going to make enough power to run a fridge.
An 800watt generator isn't enough to power a hair dryer,so I think running your fridge off it is a dream to be honest.
I suggest going to harbour freight or if your in Canada go to princess auto and buy a 3500 watt chonda. It should be enough to run a fridge.

I've got a 7500 watt chonda for when the power goes out at my place. Running 2 freezers and the fridge snaps the breaker if they all turn in at once. That first pull of juice is the problem. Once the compressor gets turning it's not drawing as much juice.

The 800w could "run" the fridge but I'm not sure about starting the compressor.
These are usually on sale for about 89$
the 99$ with coupon deal isn't terrible
with coupon 22320454

They are made incredibly cheaply.. so you usually know REAL FAST if you have a good one or a reject.

you also need a 12gauge extension cord for low resistance with appliances that have a startup load.

I suspect your fridge could require as much as 1100-1700 watts to start so that unit would most likely be too small.

I wouldnt use an inverter to run it because modified sine wave can be an issue.. and they usually self destruct or overheat if you run them anywhere close to capacity.

Edit: as clevy also mentioned you should probably look in the 2500W+ range

this 3200w generator is 299$ currently
with code 75312883

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-69729.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
The 800w could "run" the fridge but I'm not sure about starting the compressor.
These are usually on sale for about 89$
the 99$ with coupon deal isn't terrible
with coupon 22320454

They are made incredibly cheaply.. so you usually know REAL FAST if you have a good one or a reject.

you also need a 12gauge extension cord for low resistance with appliances that have a startup load.

I suspect your fridge could require as much as 1100-1700 watts to start so that unit would most likely be too small.

I wouldnt use an inverter to run it because modified sine wave can be an issue.. and they usually self destruct or overheat if you run them anywhere close to capacity.

Edit: as clevy also mentioned you should probably look in the 2500W+ range

this 3200w generator is 299$ currently
with code 75312883

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-69729.html

Good call. Your absolutely right about either getting a good or bad one.
I've got chondas with over 5000 running hours that still start first pull,but I've also gotten new ones that didn't last a week.
But princess auto will take them back no questions asked,so I can't justify paying 3 grand for a Honda,when 700 gets me a similar or bigger generator that in my experience last just as long.
Maintenance is the key,as is with most equipment.

The same storm caused about a 30 second power loss at my place. You should check out the following website regarding powering household items from your car.

www.battery1234.com

The third podcast deals specifically with this issue and there are links to recommended equipment.
Good luck.

Originally Posted By: zb11
The same storm caused about a 30 second power loss at my place. You should check out the following website regarding powering household items from your car.

www.battery1234.com

The third podcast deals specifically with this issue and there are links to recommended equipment.
Good luck.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Originally Posted By: zb11

www.battery1234.com

Good luck.

It flickered once or twice here. Nothing too serious.

Very windy.

I actually ran a fridge off my HF 900w generator. The trick was I had a power strip, and ran a hair dryer on low. The generator went WOT to load up for this. I simultaneously killed the hair dryer and plugged in the fridge. Once it started it was happy.

Beware the defrost cycle of the fridge, that's a few hundred watts.

Car inverters aren't great for electric motors (like fridge compressors), because even though they try for a sine wave, they aren't perfect and that current tries to "uproot" the motor and turns into heat. You'll hear your motors sounding unhappy and might smell them running warm.

The HF generator however is perfect as it turns a spinny thing into AC natively and makes a sine wave doing it. I recommend "hacking" its carburetor with a finger stuck in there to give it a good rev before plugging in the fridge.

Also note they make more power after 1/2 hour breaking in. I'd break it in with a few lights.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I actually ran a fridge off my HF 900w generator. The trick was I had a power strip, and ran a hair dryer on low. The generator went WOT to load up for this. I simultaneously killed the hair dryer and plugged in the fridge. Once it started it was happy.

Beware the defrost cycle of the fridge, that's a few hundred watts.

Car inverters aren't great for electric motors (like fridge compressors), because even though they try for a sine wave, they aren't perfect and that current tries to "uproot" the motor and turns into heat. You'll hear your motors sounding unhappy and might smell them running warm.

The HF generator however is perfect as it turns a spinny thing into AC natively and makes a sine wave doing it. I recommend "hacking" its carburetor with a finger stuck in there to give it a good rev before plugging in the fridge.

Also note they make more power after 1/2 hour breaking in. I'd break it in with a few lights.

I never thought of that,but for my I'd rather have too much power than not enough,or barely enough.

I've seen some of them little HF gens run a fridge. If you can get the rpm up then hit it with just the fridge - then again, I don't know the draw the the fridge on the ones I saw, but its been done.

Think of it as an inverter gen running low rpm no load compared to high rpm loaded. It needs to get there and any help gives a better chance making it (taking/holding the start load).

My gen has Eco mode that varies rpm by load. Then I can switch it out of Eco mode making it go full rpm (no mater if there is load or not) - so I can hit it better with a larger load.
In Eco mode, it has to work against the load at the same time its trying to run up rpm. Out of Eco mode is like a race, run up the rpm then let her go for launch.

My little 2kW inverter gen has no problem running the fridge (with other things on the gen) using Eco mode.
As long as I can keep the beer cold or brew a pot of coffee, oh and keep the 55" TV going for wife, then we don't have to sit staring at each other.

Last edited:
I found out I can rent a 2kW generator from Home Despot for $35 for 4 hours. Was about to go get that when the power came back on!

This is still going to be in the back of my mind though. Thanks for the help.

Also, the decal in my fridge says 11.2A (which comes to 1320VA). How do I know if this is the starting current or running current?

Get a kill a watt meter and watch the running current. My fridge is 280 watts but it's not on or off-- it's somewhat continuously variable. Is a new energy efficient dealie.

11.2 amps is very very high; I suspect starting current with the light, defrost, ice maker etc all going at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back