Inverted Emulsions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Dan, please no, don't put this topic on your ********* list!
lol.gif

Just take a can of latex paint or a carton of milk and turn it over. Seriously, both milk and latex paint consist of water with little globs of insoluble material surrounded with water. You can also prepare emulsions that have an oil phase with droplets of an aqueous phase suspended in it. I think cutting oils may use this technology. You avoid exposing the steel to rust promoting water, but still carry in the high heat capacity of water.

I think you might find the answer under "Machining Lubricants and Coolants" on this site. There is an interesting post on the problems with "inverted emulsions"

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
What is an inverted emulsion?

Where would one find an application for the above?

Pointing to Websites or previous threads is not what this QOTD thread is about; education is.

Study those websites or previous listings and then respond in your own words.

On this Website, we encourage study and critical thinking.

[ February 29, 2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Is the white stuff under some oil caps and inverted emulsion?

I use to have to mix big quanities of diesel and water and if not done in the right order it would turn into a mayonnaise.

I don't know the reasons but it must be a way of mixing oil and water.

An inverted emulsion is where the discontinuous phase (oil) makes a far larger percentage of overall mass than the continuous phase (water).

All good answers pointing in the right direction.

A an inverted emulsion is a water-in-oil mixture, in which water is surrounded by oil.

One of the applications is in fire-resistant hydraulic fluids.

Sorry Molakule, I got to your question off the main page... just trying to help. Later, I read the intent of this forum. My regrets.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Pointing to Websites or previous threads is not what this QOTD thread is about; education is.

Study those websites or previous listings and then respond in your own words.

On this Website, we encourage study and critical thinking.

Maybe off topic, but how does an emulsion stay that way? In other words, what keeps a fire resistant hydraulic fluid from separating back into oil and water?
confused.gif

quote:

Maybe off topic, but how does an emulsion stay that way? In other words, what keeps a fire resistant hydraulic fluid from separating back into oil and water?

The right additives and surfactants, and the exact proportions of oil and water.

Back in the 70's when I last did much with them, creating a stable emulsion was part science, and part black art. May still be. There are a zillion different surfactants. Add a little of the right one, or combination of several, maybe some thickeners, stir it up and you end up with film of surfactant surrounding the little droplets, one end in the water and one end in the oil. So when 2 oil droplets collide, it is the water ends that touch, not the oil. An emulsion can only stand so much. Freeze thaw stability can be tough. You add salt and beat it to death to separate the water phase from the oil to churn cream into butter.

As I said, black art and a zillion different surfactants. Just the right amount of the right ones. See also back the thread a ways the comment on not mixing the diesel and water right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back