Introduction of Failure Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bypass idea seems quite interesting and a nice alternative to more frequent oil changes. The question I have however is the introduction of multiple potential failure points that could be catastrophic to a motor? Has this occured? An common oil filter connection is quite simple and has very small chance of failure at gasket. The whole idea of plumbing and multiple connections seems like your upping chances considerably for a failure.

That is true,

I had to replace on of my lines earlier this year becuae it had rubbed on a piece of plastic. It wasn't through to the second layer of rubber yet, but was definately scary. You should definately inspect your lines periodically.

If that line would have blown, the oil would have been dumped in a matter of minutes.

Of coarse the opposite of this, is how many folks have had problems (mainly with quick lubes) not tigheting drain plugs, or making sure the filter is secured properly they get a couple miles down the road and BAM
crushedcar.gif
blown engine.

With a by-pass filter you don't have to worry about your drain plug at least for a couple of years(mine hasn't been touched in over 2 years.)

Also I only change filters every 6-8 months (or longer) so the chance of something happening is much less.

So what I'm saying is there is good and bad to both.

I planned my routing carefully, but still have an area that needs attention to avoid future problems. Full flow filters are not exempt from catastophic failure either! I blew out a filter on my diesel tractor (2) winters ago and dumped 10 gallons of fluid (hydraulic) before I noticed. That same tractor has (2) Frantz bypass filters now, and I am very satisfied with their performance.

When I install a bypass filter, I tie wrap a small piece of heater hose over the wear point. I don't like to wrap the entire hose with heater hose, I like the idea of the heat being able to escape. Personal likes/dislikes more than guaranteed fact for me.

smile.gif

I installed a filter on a 350 Chevy once by getting pressure from a 1/4" pipe plug just above the full flow filter. It was a little close to the exhaust but I figured the hose was far enough from the heat. It was good high temp hose. The hose absorbed enough heat to get brittle and break like a stick. You can get heat shielding from a hose dealer. Sometimes a hose laying over a frame can get a hole worn in it.
Having the oil changed can have it's risks. A guy at work had his new Nissan pickup stolen from the front of his house. It was found a few days later partly stripped. The police said when he went to a oil change place to get his oil changed his key was copied. They had his address and a key.

Ralph
burnout.gif

That is a very valid concern, the quality of your install and regular inspection will determine the outcome, when I initially installed a bypass on my 8.1L same as RalphPWood I used a port just above the oil filter (must be a common Chevy feature?) and I could smell the burning rubber, I then went to a metal line for the high pressure side with fiberglass wrap for insulation, the metal line takes longer to install but is cheaper and much more reliable

read more here:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000007#000000

originally I had a restrictor where the oil left the motor. if it did have a failure I would loose oil but not oil pressure, the truck has a oil level sensor and would go off before I ran out of oil, when I switched to metal line I did not have time to figure out another restrictor so it was omitted in the revision

Most of the older cars before the full flow filters used steel lines. My 64 Ranbler L head lad the bypass filter bolted to the head the same as the old flat head Fords. Most of the Motor Guards I sell are with no oil lines and fittings. No teling what people are using. I have a couple that went to a hose shop and had stainless steel braided Teflon hose made up.
I did a new Dodge Cummins Saturday for a friend. There was a nice place to mount the filter on top of the cross member. The problem was avoiding the huge exhaust pipe. I used a bunch of heat shielding and plastic ties. It is a little frighting even for me. One advantage to the rubber lines with a lot of braids is they usually leak instead of breaking unless you get them hot. I saw a refrigeration unit on the front of a truck trailer. It was a nice looking diesel engine with a factory installed bypass filter. I was surprised to see regular nylon tubing on it that looked like air brake tubing.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back