International Auto Show

My wife & I went to our local Rochester International Auto Show at the Rochester Riverside Convention Center(2 floors of vehicles).
We typically try to go to this event every year but March can deal some "in like a lion" weather that prevents us from traveling into the city.
We were able to go this year and we mostly like to go when we happen to be in the market for a new vehicle in which we are currently looking.

This year's auto show was a bit disappointing in regards to the vehicle of our particular interest were not at the show due to being out of stock from the local dealers who provide the vehicles. Still, lots of vehicles at the show just not several of the ones we have on our list to consider.

When we did climb in the vehicles and checked out the interiors, trunk/cargo compartment and under the hood, what we found is that(the interiors) are almost all equipped with black on black interiors. Many folks like that but not us.

We want lighter(but not white or dove gray like MAZDA) interiors. Mainly we like(paint dependent), light gray or tan interiors. Tan/cocoa/mocha interiors are almost extinct in mainstream vehicles that are in our budget. We can get light gray but not alway in the exterior colors of our choice. Still too many vehicles with all black interiors.

And so many of these new vehicles are getting bigger & bigger on the outside but the interiors still feel claustrophobic just due to the dark interiors. And we are also finding that many of our highest considered vehicles only come with some of the features that we want most, in their TOP tier version, such as automatic remote lift back(SUV). But, come with a sunroof standard...which we don't want! Or other features that we don't want but have to go to the top trim to get what we do want. We would even take some features, "a la-carte" but few vehicles are offering this anymore(of the vehicles that we would even consider).

And I've been saying/complaining about this for years now...The seats in too many new vehicles including luxury vehicles, absolutely SUCK!

Anyone else share these same feelings/experiences?

CB

I used to go to the Chicago auto show every year. It was a way to escape the midwinter depression that seems to afflict so many upper midweswterners that time of the year. Held at the magnificient McCormick Place right at the edge of Lake Michigan. It was glitzy, bright and vibrant. Acres of brand new carpeting, hundreds of shiny new cars and lightly dressed models that made an adolescent boy giddy.

Can't recall the last time I went to an auto show. Why pay an NFL sized ticket prices plus parking to look at new cars needlessly larded up with tchotchkes inside and out that I don't need nor want. Not going. Take me back to the past and maybe I'll change my tune.

Auto show.jpg

While I appreciate a light colored (tan would be my favorite light color) interior, it just doesn't make sense from a long term solution and looking clean.

I would be interested in learning why you say new seats "SUCK"? Why? Are they too hard, too soft, too wide, too narrow?

I overall really love the new seats in my Kia EV6 GT. While they are a bit narrow in the chest area for me, and a bit too high in the knee area, I realize it is because of my build, and not because they were poorly designed. I really like how they are a bit stiffer and more supportive.

Usually go to the Minneapolis Autoshow but the past few years it's been outside and not very good. Now it's back to normal, but it's not till April. Love seeing the camp Jeep course. Went to the Chicago one this year and was a disappointed - not significantly bigger than the Minneapolis one but super super super crowded. Had to wait 10 mins to sit in any vehicle and I went like at 7PM. Was a rough clientele too.

I noticed the black on black thing a while back. I think people are lazy and like black just since it doesn't look dirty as fast. But there are still options for tan interiors, like my Wrangler (granted, only the seats are tan, but it does make a huge difference compared to a black on black one)
67675057759__30276080-348B-4FE8-9692-F00A1E9727C1.jpeg

Our ticket prices were $11/ea with $3 discount for senior, military, college student.
Unlike some other years, all of the vehicles were loaded which could scare many shoppers away even though you can’t actually buy a vehicle at the show. You can either talk to a MFG Rep or a dealership sales consultant but no sales can take place.

Looking around at all the current cars while we're out and about, there's absolutely nothing I find remotely interesting.

Usually go to the Minneapolis Autoshow but the past few years it's been outside and not very good. Now it's back to normal, but it's not till April. Love seeing the camp Jeep course. Went to the Chicago one this year and was a disappointed - not significantly bigger than the Minneapolis one but super super super crowded. Had to wait 10 mins to sit in any vehicle and I went like at 7PM. Was a rough clientele too.

I noticed the black on black thing a while back. I think people are lazy and like black just since it doesn't look dirty as fast. But there are still options for tan interiors, like my Wrangler (granted, only the seats are tan, but it does make a huge difference compared to a black on black one)
View attachment 143543
Still, very few vehicles in the mainstream vehicles that have tan interiors with the exception of the very few and only in their top trim line and then it's leather. I absolutely hate an all black interior especially in the summer heat. And just driving around, that sea of black is so depressing.

I'm a little disgusted at what passes for a "colored" interior these days. Dash, door and center console panels remain black, and they put in different colored leather seats and door trim inserts. I miss the days when they actually colored everything. The contrast between black surroundings and brightly dyed leather is a little more than I can stomach in a car I have to look at daily. I always go to the Texas state fair because the car show is the highlight for me, but it was a let down this year. New cars are exciting me less and less.

What vehicle is it?
A real sleeper! 2014 Ford Flex limited. 3.5L non turbo, FWD. 67.8k miles when I bought it in Jan 2022 for $22k. Seats 7 very comfortably, even rear seats are good for adults under say under 5”6”. Leg room in second row is huge.

I traded in my 2012 Audi A6 3.0 T black on black , with 43k miles, because the Audi no longer fit my needs. Black interiors get old.

C3A2F07C-7FD6-4CBB-8CAE-E653F583B54C.jpeg

I'm a little disgusted at what passes for a "colored" interior these days. Dash, door and center console panels remain black, and they put in different colored leather seats and door trim inserts. I miss the days when they actually colored everything. The contrast between black surroundings and brightly dyed leather is a little more than I can stomach in a car I have to look at daily. I always go to the Texas state fair because the car show is the highlight for me, but it was a let down this year. New cars are exciting me less and less.
I know right?
We basically have a tri-colored interior.

*Light gray/dove gray ceiling & pillars
*Black dash/steering wheel & trim
*And maybe, just maybe another color such as gray seats & door inserts center console/armrest. And if you can find a different color(BEIGE/TAN/BROWN/MOCA/COCOA) in MAINSTREAM VEHICLES today, your lucky. And I don't like the terracotta or red leather seats mixed with exterior paints that don't match/compliment the interior.

To answer the question of seat comfort.
Too many seats on new vehicles are too narrow and/or too hard for my comfort as well as my petite wife.
Most LINCOLN’s and many Caddy’s are fine but even LEXUS is not making the comfortable seats that they used to. I’ve owned them, I know.

This came up in my YouTube feed, pretty interesting home video from the 1991 Chicago Auto Show.

Back