Internal Engine Deposits and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will find lower zinc and phosphorus in Valvoline. Perhaps the ZDDP thing is like the old lead in gasoline. It was cheap so they used it, but now that lead is banned they are using other methods that (hopefully) nicely don't deposit on your exhaust valves. Same probably is true of the ZDDP.

I have considered the dual rated (gas/diesel) oils, but am concerned with the higher zddp and ash contents being maybe not the best thing for my engine.

But the big question is, will there be enough antiwear in the new SM oils? Will the other, more expensive compensating ingredients suffice? I guess that, since the 5w20s are showing good UOAs on some fairly rigorous use, that the same careful attention will be paid to formulating the SM oils. But if it turns out SM is not so good you can always fortify your oil with a q or 2 of Redline or HDEO.

Will exhaust valves have deposits if
the engine dosn't burn oil? When lead
was removed, the valve material was
changed to compensate the lack of
lubrication. As far as phos. and zddp
levels between heavy duty and gas
engines, the levels are 300 to 400 ppm
higher. The levels now in HD oils are
probably the same as they were in SH
oils from a few years ago.

I wish I had answers, but this only leads me to more questions.

Mobil 1 is consumed more than any oil I have used, so I don't see how it can keep my engine cleaner.

I have never been a Valvoline fan, but I have often thought that lack of additives may have been one of it's strengths rather than weakness in normal cars with regular oci's. It's always been low in sulphated ash #'s.

It will very interesting to see how SM unfolds.

I have never understood the logic on bitog for all the hdeo recommendations for gassers. How is all the extra sulphated ash a benefit if you still consume oil? It's not going to clean your valves for sure and might be even not so good for valve stem seal materials.

Guess, i just can't get with the program to whoop Castrol and Valvoline and put HDEO's in my gassers.
lol.gif

Once I see an oil with good performance and an low ash DD pak, I'm going for it. Now if we can just identify 'em.

quote:

Ever thought about the build up on the exhaust valve ?

The motors I have done always had much more build up on the backside of the intakes in general than the backside of the exhaust. Ash is a high temperature cleaner. Just what the back side of the exhaust valves, port, piston deck, and ring belt area needs IMHO.

"Which oils use a ashless DD pack, better yet which High Mileage oils with lower phos use's this type additive pack?"

Don't know, and most oil firms don't list Sulfated Ash ASTM D874 in their spec sheets. But some do:

Valvoline, Union 76, Kendall: 0.80% (0.90% for 5w-20)
Chevron/Havoline: 0.90%
Valvoline MaxLife: not listed
Kendall Synthetic: 1.0-1.1%
Mixed Fleet (Rotella, etc.): 1.34-1.47%

[ July 21, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
The motors I have done always had much more build up on the backside of the intakes in general than the backside of the exhaust. Ash is a high temperature cleaner. Just what the back side of the exhaust valves, port, piston deck, and ring belt area needs IMHO. [/QB]

Ditto. I've seen thick deposits on back side of intake valves but not exhaust valves.

I think we've all read the marketing surrounding various motor oils using the words like " formulated to reduce engine deposits " and the likes along with the EPA's take on Phos and catalytic converters .

Even Shell promoted engine cleanliness with their new gasoline but with an * that says it cleans intake valves and fuel injectors .

Ever thought about the build up on the exhaust valve ? It's an internal engine part
smile.gif
Build up from an oil burner using an HDEO with 1400ppm of zinc or phos along with the other high ash metallic adds they use ? Maybe for the end user the cat converter concerns should be replaced by exhaust valve deposit concerns .Deposits there increase weight and reduce spent exhaust gas flow and the engine will not be as efficient as it was when new .

You know , due to emmissions there is very little valve overlap on engines these days . Nothing much can get to the back side of the ex valve for long enough period to do any cleaning . Even if some chemical in gas could get there , well I have had difficult time enough removing carbon from a set of exhaust valves with a bench grinder and wire wheel .

Maybe reduced phos/zinc w/o excessive engine wear as the result is the ticket in terms of a smoother more efficient running engine w/o valve deposits over the long haul from the use of oils using a newer ashless detergent/dispersant package ?

Which oils use a ashless DD pack , better yet which High Mileage oils with lower phos use's this type additive pack ?

Thoughts , comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back