Intermittent A/C Issue at Idle - 03 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a minor intermittent A/C issue on my 03 Suburban 1500 5.3
Always at idle to start the problem, then at low speed until it goes away, the AC will sometimes start blowing warm, humid air in between cycles of cooler conditioned air.
The cabin gets noticeably humid, and I can feel when the compressor tries to kick in, at the same time, the vehicle surges forward.
This happens intermittently at idle, sometimes at startup, sometimes in gear with brakes on and when it does do it, it will continue to do it until I get up to speed around 30-40 mph before it starts to cool off again, then it will be O.K until it decides to act up again.
No problems at all at speed
Any ideas?

Not sure if it is the same as the early GM AC system.
In the early system, there is a low pressure switch that goes bad more often than other things.
It is usually located on the Accumulator/Dryer with electrical connector attach to it.
If it is not there, then disregard my answer.

By the way, there are a lot of GM forums that probably can give you answer just by searching without waiting.

I agree with the answer above to check the low and high pressure.
You need to have the AC manifold and knowledge on how to do it.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Bad fan clutch

Bingo, I had a 01 burban that had idle A/C issues and was the fan clutch solved the issue right away and COLD A/C was back !!!

FY, Advance auto parts has best deals after the 25% online coupon is used

Dave

On my 03 sierra 5.3l with the same symptoms it was the fan clutch. I replaced with a Hayden heavy duty and A.C. Blows cold at idle now!

FYI , at higher speeds , there is sufficient air being rammed through the condenser coil & radiator , to make everything work OK .

I do not know if it is the fan clutch , but I agree , check it .

Is the belt & pulleys all right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back