Interesting Mobil 1 test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: virginoil

M1 is now on board any feedback from the site sponsor ?

They don't need to reply, we have enough experts on here.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Buster,
The 4 ball wear test is useless for engine oil. Mobil explains this on their web site.

The local RP rep has been trying to get me to switch to his products in the steel mill machinery I am responsible for, so he brought his little test device in for a demo. He performed his test with his RP motor oil, then asked for a sample of the gear oils we use. We use Mobilegear both dino and SHC versions in ISO 220 and 460W. In a nutshell, the RP outperformed our Mobile products in a dramatic fashion. They are on to something, don't know what??? Bottom line, well I have one lube reservoir that holds 500 gal. and the cost to switch this one unit was going to cost something like $40,000. Pretty hard sell in this economy, especially since we are not having any problems with the Mobile product.

On the Fe in a UOA, nobody seems to mention the filter used during these tests. It can make a difference.

Originally Posted By: rickinKY
Buster,
The 4 ball wear test is useless for engine oil. Mobil explains this on their web site.

The local RP rep has been trying to get me to switch to his products in the steel mill machinery I am responsible for, so he brought his little test device in for a demo. He performed his test with his RP motor oil, then asked for a sample of the gear oils we use. We use Mobilegear both dino and SHC versions in ISO 220 and 460W. In a nutshell, the RP outperformed our Mobile products in a dramatic fashion. They are on to something, don't know what??? Bottom line, well I have one lube reservoir that holds 500 gal. and the cost to switch this one unit was going to cost something like $40,000. Pretty hard sell in this economy, especially since we are not having any problems with the Mobile product.

On the Fe in a UOA, nobody seems to mention the filter used during these tests. It can make a difference.

Did you log on to Mobil's web site? Even bleach does well on the 4 ball wear test. The bench test RP uses is deceptive for engine oil.

Did you log on to Mobil's web site? Even bleach does well on the 4 ball wear test. The bench test RP uses is deceptive for engine oil.[/quote said:
Yes I did. I am only telling you what I saw with my own eyes. This demo machine uses a motorized wheel running in the test oil. The wheel turns against a stationary roller from a bearing. Small weights are placed on a platform to load the wheel against the roller. You can stall the wheel if you place enough weight on it. When the RP oil was used the wheel never stalled and the mark on the roller was very small even when all the test weights were loaded. When the Mobile gear oils were tested the wheel stalled long before all the weights were loaded and the wear scar was much larger and deeper. We didn't try any bleach as I have no intention of putting it in my gearboxes.

Buster,

Exactly. Just tell the guy the next 4-ball test jig your company invests in, you'll be sure and run only RP oil in it.
grin2.gif

Buster,

I wouldn't buy into that nonsense.

Mobil's web site is infering RP has EP additives in their oil to do well on these kind of test. M1 doesn't use them because of the corroisive nature of these additives, acording to Mobil.

So would the oils that did the worst on the Timken test be the best?
wink.gif
Just kidding
grin2.gif

On the Street Commodoors (spell check?) test,Valvoline blend did as well as RP from what I remember
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: virginoil

M1 is now on board any feedback from the site sponsor ?

They don't need to reply, we have enough experts on here.
grin2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Just don't understand this high iron thing since I have never seen it in my own UOAs.

Neither do I ..... I've never seen high Fe. All the wear metals in my UOA's regularly come in below, or at Blackstone's Universal Averages for this engine (OM 647) - despite the fact I'm running - and have always run - extended drain intervals. And their commentary's have stated on a couple of occassions that the engine in my unit is one of the best wearing Mercedes MBE 600's that they have ever seen (out of around 150 units of that engine type) .... why that is, I really can't say ...... but I do know that others use other oils ........
smirk2.gif

I'm currently at 40K miles into my current OC and my last UOA (at 36K into the OC) showed Fe at 26 ppm .... that's the second highest reading I have ever had (28 ppm was the highest) .... Blackstone's Universal Average for this engine is 34 ppm.

In fact, all I have ever used, since Day 1, in my Sprinter, has been Mobil 1 (it's the factory fill
grin2.gif
)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back