Intel/AMD comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Forgot to mention, DO purchase the Core 2 Duo chips that offer the 4MB cache. 5-10% increase in speed in that feature alone.

Not in everything. Only in one or two benchmarks has this shown to be true. IMHO the E6400 is the sweet spot for value/performance.

Now I' really thinking. Not!!! Will stick with AMD. IMHO AMD has brought us to where we are today. It' good to have competition.

Quote:

Quote:

Forgot to mention, DO purchase the Core 2 Duo chips that offer the 4MB cache. 5-10% increase in speed in that feature alone.

Not in everything. Only in one or two benchmarks has this shown to be true. IMHO the E6400 is the sweet spot for value/performance.

Correct,

E6300 and 6400 Allendale are value for money, they also can be insanely overclocked stock thereby providing even more added value, the increased cache in the Conroe doesn't really help as there are fewer applications today to take full advantage of the cache. The irony is that Intel uses an on board memory controller whereas AMD uses inbuilt which is truly superior yet Intel managers better benchmarks than AMD and speaking of AMD, they have already made a change to newer AM2 slot to support DDR-II memory which doesn't really give them a jump in performance over Intel C2D which uses DDR-II by default, now I hear AMD will go through another board change where they will use DDR-III which is truly foolish as that would mean in a year, your AM2 socket boards are obsolete. At least in case of Intel, the socket 775 is also supporting the newer quad core CPUs. The best chipstet to buy for C2D would be the i965 which is the latest chip from Intel fully optimized for C2D, the older i945 and i975 are from previous generation modified to support C2D.

C'mon buckaroos, grasp thine feminine aspect of yerselves'.

This IS the age of the emasculated male!!!!!!

Determine which CPU you to obtain by determing which one is prettiest or matches thine interior decorating scheme.

It's sooooo much easier to make decisions based upon those....

Feeeeeeeeelings..... whoa whoa oh oh those........

feelings. La la la la la......

Yep

Amen brother. OTOH: I'm not up to scratch building a laptop...

So, Last week I bought an ACER Aspire 9300-5317 with an AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-50 (1.6Ghz 2x256KB L2 cache). How powerful is this chip in comparison to the current crop of bit humpers?

Quote:

Amen brother. OTOH: I'm not up to scratch building a laptop...

About a year ago I did do a major upgrade on a 5 or 6 year old Sony Vaio laptop. CPU, memory, hard drive, BIOS and DVD burner. Today, I could by a new laptop with similar capabilities for what the upgrade parts cost me.
laugh.gif
Also converted it to dual boot XP and Ubuntu Linux.

Had I bought a new el-cheapo I would be missing the added experience and knowledge I gained from the upgrade and the new el-cheapo probably wouldn't be as solidly built. I wouldn't scratch build a lap top though.

Yep, DDR3 support on AM3 boards, point is, AMD already has a huge bandwidth superiority over Intel, but unfortunately, it can't ulilize it at all and the newer C2D's memory benchmarks are better than AMD's current CPUs even with DDR2.

"Real men roll their own machines"

I won't get into an argument whose a real man, but, I certainly agree with rolling your own machine.

Yes, the core duo's are the best cpu's, but we are not talking about this cpu. This is a Pentium D 805 vs an amd 3200. For most if not all tasks the amd will be the better choice.

Quote:

Cheapest Dell machine with Core 2 Duo is $890CDN. It's an extra $350 premium. This is the processor on the $890 machine:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)

It didn't take long for the price to drop. That same processor is now included in Dimension E520
Dual Core/P4 price ... or effectively $237 cheaper.

Last edited:
And next month, the "world's best" processor will be bettered by something else.

Having the best is an expensive treadmill.

I'd probably buy Intel. Not because AMD is lesser, it is that the corresponding chipsets at the mainboard are not as well worked out. May be because they aren't filtered by the time factor yet, or there is not enough competition for mainboards on the AMD side, or else because AMD doesn't build mainboards to play a model. Also add that the most sofware are optimized for the Intel chipsets from the first versions.

Even with 3D modelling and rendering my time loss caused by the computers is seldom because of the processor speed. IMHO, today, stability is much more important than the advertised speeds. After a sad AMD experience I think stability is the weakest link nowadays. I find the happiness in Intel processors on Intel mainboards preferably, if not the Intel chipsets.

This may sounds like an ad. I did bought the AMD, because it was the competititor, alternative and the rare one with the cool logotype. I still think they are great processors but the things that you have to couple with them are not matchingly stout. When you face with hardware failures with the most expensive mainboards you get the hard fact.

I don't think I'd buy another AMD without a complete system warranty (software included).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back