Desktop AMD vs Intel CPU?

Hard Drive is the bottleneck. SSD is a must.
It's great that everyone recognizes the benefits of an SSD, but can we please refocus on the question at hand. :)

I already have a computer with SSD, but its 8 years old and can't be upgraded anymore.

I am looking to purchase a brand new PC which will definitely have an SSD in it. The only question was which CPU will give me more performance without any potential downsides.

Yeah I only brought that up because of the ad that’s posted in this thread the computer in the ad doesn’t have an SSD,
Screenshot_20.jpg

Ryzen is hands down the better laptop chip right now BUT you should shoot for a 4000 series chip like the 4750U or 4650U. Intel and AMD are pretty much neck and neck in the desktop segment however Ryzen 5000 series are hard to get because of their wild popularity. Intel will use a little more power and produce a little more heat, plus their motherboards tend to be more expensive. Try to hunt down a system with the Ryzen 4750G. 8 Cores 16 threads and integrated graphics that don't suck.
I remember when AMD chips were overclocked to get that extra bit of speed and ran hotter than Intel. Reliability issues maybe. Likely not true anymore , but I have always been a bit skeptical of AMD since

I remember when AMD chips were overclocked to get that extra bit of speed and ran hotter than Intel. Reliability issues maybe. Likely not true anymore , but I have always been a bit skeptical of AMD since
Yes it's funny how the tables have all but turned completely. Intel isn't out of the woods yet either. 10nm and 7nm have been disasters.

I consider SSD to be pretty much standard on a new PC these days. I wouldn't consider one without it.

As I mentioned earlier, I am going to be doing "serious" stuff - photo editing requires CPU power and lots of RAM. Video encoding is also very CPU hungry if you don't want this process to take days to complete.

My current PC (laptop) has had an SSD in it for 5+ years, and it's been a great upgrade, but its CPU and limited 8 GB of RAM struggles with the aforementioned tasks. It's now 8 years old, so I am starting to look at potential replacements.
Definitely go for the Ryzen CPU for this case. Ryzen 7 3700X is significantly faster than even an overclocked i5-10600K (which is a sight LT faster i5-10400) in rendering tests.

Almost pulled the trigger on a HP Pavilion, it was on slick deals for $549 with a Ryzen 7 CPU.

This is 8 cores.

Would be pretty neat to run some virtual appliances and a home lab.

I think the new AMD Ryzen CPU's and the Threadripper is offering mind bending performance.

Intel is a premium product but you pay more for it.
I just got one for my dad back when it was still on sale. It was a decent machine except for a few limitations that most pre-build have (including Intels to be fair):

1) small custom power supply, you won't be able to use a real GPU if you want to game one day
2) limited motherboard bios, you cannot use XMP profile so a lot of memory upgrade won't work, and you cannot adjust things to work around it like the aftermarket DIY build motherboards.
3) cramped case (the quality of the case is like a $20 after rebate Rosewill), undersize cooler (really for a 45W instead of 65W CPU), only 1 stick of CL22 DDR4 due to the bios limit above, etc.

For most mom and pop users it is fine, it is also fine for power user for now waiting for pandemic to be over and then take the CPU out and build a custom, then slap a cheaper Ryzen 3 4000 series in there and sell it used (the Ryzen 7 4700G alone is worth about $300-400 NOW, for a system that went on sale for $450 it is like a free PC when you buy a CPU).

I might add a CL22 DDR4 3200 8GB to it and just use it for 3 years, then maybe add a future low power GPU (some sort of 1050 equivalent in 2025) to it when the shortage is over.

Last edited:
It's great that everyone recognizes the benefits of an SSD, but can we please refocus on the question at hand. :)

I already have a computer with SSD, but its 8 years old and can't be upgraded anymore.

I am looking to purchase a brand new PC which will definitely have an SSD in it. The only question was which CPU will give me more performance without any potential downsides.
AMD. Choose Ryzen 4000 series if possible, they are 7nm and low power, very well optimized for performance and power consumption. Intel only if you need certain enterprise features or if you find a huge bargain that justify it (so far I haven't).

That's a long time ago. They have swapped places. Intel is now the power hog because they didn't buy the latest technologies in FAB and AMD got to tag along with Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Huawei, BitMain, MediaTek to use the latest and greatest FAB.

That's a long time ago. They have swapped places. Intel is now the power hog because they didn't buy the latest technologies in FAB and AMD got to tag along with Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, Huawei, BitMain, MediaTek to use the latest and greatest FAB.
Yup! They had it coming.

Back