Intake valves deposits, Gas vs Diesel

The cruze had a lot of different diesel engines 3x 2 liter engines. They started with a VM design, then used a daewoo/gm design, and the latest once have been derivatives of a fiat design.

I'm not 100% on the timeline, but if you say it was only used for 2 years I think this was the daewoo/gm engine. Soewhere in 2014 they switched to the fiat engine it seems, so both are possible
I believe mine was the Fiat/Gm,LUZ engine.Those were use in 2014/2015 diesel cruzes.The others were used in european models not available in Noth America

Could be, though soot issues are unheard of here with the Fiats, those engines were used first in 2008 and currently still sold.

Anyway, as said before the soot deposits aren't oil related, so mobil 1 esp didn't hurt it or do it any good. They didn't do anything besides cleaning the head?

Diesel engines do not have PCV systems. So, there are no oil-laden crankcase vapors being drawn into the intake side of the engine.

They most certainly do. Everything for the last 10 years has had closed loop CCV systems from small car diesels to the big OTR Truck engines.

Could be, though soot issues are unheard of here with the Fiats, those engines were used first in 2008 and currently still sold.

Anyway, as said before the soot deposits aren't oil related, so mobil 1 esp didn't hurt it or do it any good. They didn't do anything besides cleaning the head?
The dealership removed and replaced the head but they sent it out to a diesel specialty shop.Not sure what they did but i'm assuming they rebuilt it to some extent. I'm not sure a specialty shop would only blast the carbon and send it back guaranteeing anything.Plus its warranty paid by GM so who knows if there was some padding going on.There was a pretty good list of parts,head gaskets,head bolts,egr gaskets etc. ,replaced broken glow plug,plus they cleaned out the intake manifold and egr system,so lots of labor.I don't have the bills as I got rid of it as soon as it was fixed.My warranty was to run out a month after it was fixed so i didn,t want to keep it and have more issues.As it was there were a LOT of problems,sensors,def heater,trans lines leaking,ecu reflashes,just a real pos.As i said earlier,short trips plus Canadian diesel is the lowest of the low,Europe,Australia,California have way better fuel,higher cetane=less emissions.

found a pic of the MAP sensor I removed from my car to get an idea of the soot contamination I removed it a few years ago when the car had 60k miles/90k km.

Usually those map/temp sensors are like a soot trap, so this amount of soot wasn't in any way alarming to me. None of it was caked on, just blowing on it removed it.

P_20170601_120751.jpg

Back