Intake manifold gasket sealant?

If it were mine I would get a good steel straight edge and some good feeler gauges and check the head. TRUST ME, it doesn't take much for an aluminum head to warp.
That is a good idea, thank you. I hate these stamped steel gaskets for that reason- the tiniest warp or imperfection and they won't seal. That is why I am considering making my own gasket out if a sheet of high temp silicone. Only thing stopping me is I'm not sure how compatible silicone is with gasoline and I can't seem to find an answer since it appears that compatibility varies based on the specific silicone used.

That is a good idea, thank you. I hate these stamped steel gaskets for that reason- the tiniest warp or imperfection and they won't seal. That is why I am considering making my own gasket out if a sheet of high temp silicone. Only thing stopping me is I'm not sure how compatible silicone is with gasoline and I can't seem to find an answer since it appears that compatibility varies based on the specific silicone used.
Good luck!
Keep us updated. ;)

Good luck!
Keep us updated. ;)
Thank you, I definitely will! I am going to be trying again this week if I have time and I will definitely let you know the results of whatever I try. The good news is it isn't a big deal to pull the intake manifold off this car, so if I fail again I only have wasted less than an hour of my time.

Update- I just resealed the manifold with 3M weatherstripping and gasket adhesive and so far so good. What I did is remove the gasket entirely and just smear a thin coat around the ports. I did not start the engine yet, but after letting it dry for 1 hour I smoke tested the manifold (at very low pressure so I did not disrupt the sealant as it dries) and found no leaks, so for now it is sealed. Whether it remains sealed after driving it I do not know yet, but I will report back. I am gonna let it dry until at least tomorrow night before starting it to give it the best possible chance of working.

Also, that stuff seems to have at least some fuel resistance. I put a small amount on a piece of plastic and poured a little gas on it after letting it dry for 2 days and it seemed to be unaffected, at least in the short term. It did not seem to dissolve or get gummy. Time will tell how well that stuff holds up, but I will be sure to keep you posted.

I’ve seen people use the 3M weatherstripping before but never on exhaust only on valve covers it seems to be very oil resistant as well. I never would of thought it would have worked so that is great it did so far.

I’ve seen people use the 3M weatherstripping before but never on exhaust only on valve covers it seems to be very oil resistant as well. I never would of thought it would have worked so that is great it did so far.
I didn't use it on the exhaust, I used it on the intake manifold. Good to hear that it seems to be oil resistant, hopefully it lasts a while. Time will tell

I didn't use it on the exhaust, I used it on the intake manifold. Good to hear that it seems to be oil resistant, hopefully it lasts a while. Time will tell
Oh sorry 🙂 when I hear manifold exhaust always comes to me lol. Yes many old timers have showed me that 3M weatherstripping works well for oil stuff.

Why not install the correct manifold? I get that the earlier version might give some performance gains.....But is that worth all this??

How much is a OE Honda manifold?
I do not know how much a new plastic manifold is, but I got this one at the junkyard for $26, As for the performance gains, honestly I can't say for sure because I was driving it with the broken plastic manifold for about 2 months before I swapped to the earlier manifold, so I can't say for sure how much of the performance gain was due to having a different manifold compared to just because it was running correctly again. However, I can fit a bigger RSX-S throttle body on this manifold unlike the stock plastic one, which definitely produced a noticeable gain in response and performance, so I really don't want to go back to the stock setup.

It doesn't appear to be cheap.....List price is $781.37, I'd guess wholesale would be $400-$500?

Does a RSX-S intake fit your engine? Don't know Honda swap stuff like I do GM LSx.
No, none of the K series manifolds will fit this engine. The bigger K20 RSX-S throttle body just happens to fit the D16 intake manifold. Realistically this fix doesn't have to last forever since I have a K24 Acura TSX engine that I am hopefully going to be swapping in later this year, but I still need to get quite a few parts for that and it would be nice for it to run decent until I swap.

Update- Although I wanted to let the sealant dry until at least later tonight so it had at least 24 hours to cure, I had to drive the car after letting it cure for only about 14 hours. After getting back from that short trip the manifold is still totally sealed and the engine seems to be running great. I will report back after driving it for a while longer, but this is definitely encouraging.

After about another hour of driving, the gasket is still working perfectly. I'm thinking by now that if it was gonna fail in the near future it would have done so already, but I could be wrong. I just used that same 3M stuff to make a throttle body gasket since I tore the paper one while taking the manifold off. I don't expect the throttle body gasket to be a problem since the intake gasket seems to be holding up fine so far and a throttle body gasket is much less demanding of an application, but I will keep you posted on that too. Thank you so much BlueOvalFitter for the suggestion, I would never have thought to try that 3M product otherwise.

I am only able to use the 5 stock bolt holes since my cylinder head does not have bolt holes in 2 of the locations that the Y8 manifold does

This is your problem and what you trying to do is find a better band aid. Even with a thermal intake gasket and hylomar I cant see it being a long lasting repair. Drop the $$ on the proper manifold and put it to bed. Performance parts are not cheap. JM2C

This is your problem and what you trying to do is find a better band aid. Even with a thermal intake gasket and hylomar I cant see it being a long lasting repair. Drop the $$ on the proper manifold and put it to bed. Performance parts are not cheap. JM2C
Well the thing is no one else seems to be having these problems with using a D16 intake manifold on the D17, everyone else who did it seems to have had success. Either that or maybe no one else noticed the vacuum leaks they created LOL. Back when I did this swap 4 years ago I would have spent the money on a good aftermarket performance manifold for this engine, the problem is that no one makes performance parts for these engines. That is the whole reason why so many people have done this swap- it's basically the only decent intake manifold that will fit on these engines and it does produce noticeable gains over stock, especially with the larger throttle body that can not be used on the stock manifold.

Do you have a picture of both flanges? Sometimes things can be modified and adapted to fit properly. I cant believe you are the only one having issues, they are either not saying or they don't realize they are. Missing 2 bolts is not cool, is there a brace or a mounting point for one?

Back