intake manifold cleaning, fuel screw ip and timing retard

Good morning,

going to take oyuki, toyota corolla 1c diesel, for an intake manifold cleaning, remove the soot buildup from having the egr deposit carbon in the past, egr is blanked now. see how that affects throttle response and fuel economy. thinking about using purple power, diesel fuel or a mixture of both to clean the soot and grease buildup that will be on inside of intake manifold.

also going to have the diesel injection pump fuel screws adjusted for max fuel economy.

and mechanic says he is going to retard timing by rotating diesel injection pump a bit to reduce engine clatter.

cheers

jorge

Last edited:
Take the manifold off and clean in solvent - it won't be very gunked up, not like the common rail engines do. You can knock back the max fuel...it'll use less fuel, but of course have less power too. You'll to see how it goes with the injection timing, some are fussy, some aren't - it will need more glow, have white smoke and less power...or you won't notice anything.

More glow , White smoke and less power would be product of pump timing retardation?

Cheera

+1
In my limited experience, loss of low range power and white smoke (only at startup for me) were not desirable vs the little fuel economy I got. But different engine, so YMMV.

Oh, so less power, white smoke on startup and more glow would be product of reducing fuel input on injection pump?

Have you checked that the glow plug system works? If the glow plugs don't work and you retard the timing, the difficult starting and misfiring until warmed up that you've experienced will get worse.

White smoke from a diesel means a cylinder misfired, the "white smoke" is actually unburned fuel blowing out the exhaust.

Turning down the max fuel is simply not going to fuel the engine as much when you floor the pedal, which does help mpg but of course the car accelerates more slowly.

Yes the mechanic checked with a multimeter the resistance of the glow plugs and they where found to be good.

I do experience that at cold in the morning the glow plug relay can be heard clicking. When engine warm the glow plug relay sometimes doesn't click and the warm engine has to crank a bit more and starts kind of like angry with acceleration without me giving it any throttle.

Back