Installing a used exhaust system

Starting on the Sequoia muffler and pipe replacement with parts I removed from the junkyard. After a half hour, I managed to get this piece off the back off the muffler which was part of the resonator pipe behind it. The resonator on my truck is fine but I imagine it's going to be a struggle to remove the matching opposite section off the old muffler to match and then mate together without causing some damage to the resonator end.

IMG_4514.JPG

Good luck.

There are only about 2 people in the world I will do exhaust work for and one of them sleeps with me.

Gonna be hard to make that look anything other than a hack. If it were me I’d use a hot wrench and do me best to do it at factory joints with factory hardware. Then I’d probably bite the bullet and spend the bucks to do it correctly.

If you can't get your resonator pipe off you could just cut it and pick up a exhaust extension at most any auto parts store to join the muffler to your resonator. They're less then $10 and use new muffler clamps.

I bet if you were to go to a chain type muffler shop, you'd be looking at $1200+ for a full cat-back system. They typically wont do repairs, just replace, unless you know a guy who will.

The pipe off one cat is rusted through, so more than that with new cats.
Is it repairable though for someone willing to take the time/effort to fix it?

That's the problem I have. I don't have a welder nor know how to use one and I'm not sure I could find a shop locally that will repair such things. Only replace.

I've got a flux core welder that I've used on exhaust work. It doesn't look pretty when done with a flux core weld but it works.

No one looks under your car anyway unless they are steeling your cats.

Is it repairable though for someone willing to take the time/effort to fix it?

That's the problem I have. I don't have a welder nor know how to use one and I'm not sure I could find a shop locally that will repair such things. Only replace.

The OP is in Suburban Washington DC and might be near Hi Flo Custom Exhaust in Manassas Park, VA who WILL repair an exhaust system instead of replacing it.

Back