Installing a used exhaust system

Why does ANYBODY buy used parts?

There are parts that are good to buy used, but not a muffler :cautious:

Mufflers rust so bad, they're not worth buying used. Buy one that is stainless, so it won't rust again for a long time. Someone else quoted $1200 for a catback at a shop, and you said a new one would cost at least $900. Magnaflow has a stainless catback for $1000.

Was the factory exhaust on the Sequoia stainless? That era is when mfrs started switching to stainless exhaust :unsure:

atikovi

Mufflers rust so bad, they're not worth buying used. Buy one that is stainless, so it won't rust again for a long time.
Mine had 500,000 miles and just starting to rust. If I find one with 200,000 miles that will go another 300,000 miles for a fraction of new, I'll go with that.

Old muffler out.

IMG_4523.JPG

JTK

Mine had 500,000 miles and just starting to rust. If I find one with 200,000 miles that will go another 300,000 miles for a fraction of new, I'll go with that.

That is amazing No way an aftermarket one wouldn't last a fraction of that time. 5 hangers in about 4ft of section. LOL

The only exhaust work I've needed done in the past 20yrs was on our 2015 Nissan Versa. A flange just before the rear muffler rotted right off. I could have been repaired with some cutting and a piece of pipe, but my closest mom/pop shop would only replace the whole cat-back. The Napa parts all-in were under $300. $600 total to have it slapped on. It's rustier than heck already and it's only been 1yr. Napa parts + Nissan, the Chrysler of Japan.

You should see the stuff out there to repair holed mufflers. Muffler tape, muffler cement, aluminum sheets glued on with Permatex Ultra Copper ( guilty of that one 😇 ) A used muffler is 100% better than those fixes out there. :cool:

Reactions: JTK
This is an... impressive amount of work to repair an exhaust. Having recently replaced stolen cats on a similar truck, I can attest to the fact that Toyota exhaust leaves a lot to be desired as far as repairs are concerned. I'd never have gone as far as you have, but as a fellow cheapskate (no offense) I must say hats off for the effort.

I just installed a muffler on my '00 Grand Cherokee, which couldn't have been easier. The factory exhaust is about at simple as it gets: Y-pipe off the manifolds, followed by a straight shot into the cat. Same for the outlet: straight shot into the (now new) muffler which then connects to the over-axle pipe and finally the tail pipe. I was able to remove the OE muffler and install the replacement/pipe extension in about 45 minutes. That includes the MN rust factor.

we're the type w/time. R&R usta mean remove'n repair. Now it means remove/replace.
Torches, mig welder, scraps around = good for 10K @ my place...
I once used my 2 ton press for a 'muffler expander' (the pipe was placed over an extra large scocket).
It kinda worked, he aint come back anyway aahahaha (son's friend).

atikovi

Got it all done and it was a lot of work, but worth it to me over the cost of new parts. If I replaced the cat, I could see the studs on the manifold snapping off and then having to replace the manifold, and maybe it's bolts snapping. Didn't want to go down a rabbit hole.

The only non-original cut behind the left cat and joined with a band clamp.
IMG_4541.JPG

Needed just one new gasket between the right cat and muffler.

IMG_4543.JPG

And a new clamp between the muffler and resonator pipe.

IMG_4545.JPG

Original resonator still fine.

IMG_4548.jpg

Just back from getting a Virginia safety and emissions inspection.

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 4
That’s not bad at all… I usually use the walker stainless band clamps if I have to go aftermarket , but they usually need to be ordered.

Good work getting the joints apart.