Installing a horizontal filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I allowed a motor to drain for over two months...then started disassembly... I couldn't find anything not covered in oil.

I have NEVER seen an oil pressure light come on...ever

My vehicle was a rental and saw some abysmal service intervals in it's lifetime.

Purchasing at 160k... I was ready to drop in a jdm motor within 5k because of it.

40k miles later a cylinder has FINALLY died...unfortunately the joke of an additive has brought the compression up 80psi...so ill wait until the bottom end goes out now.

The point to my rambling is...do your oil changes...at a decent interval...anything else is likely over thinking it.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
The point to my rambling is...do your oil changes...at a decent interval...anything else is likely over thinking it.

Agreed!

If the oil light goes out quickly and there are no engine rattles, starting with an empty filter is ok.
If the engine is really old and worn, and tends to rattle for 20 seconds when cranked over after an oil/filter change do what has been described before - disable fuel or spark, and crank until the oil light goes out. Rearm fuel or spark, good to go. Don't forget to check final oil level!

If the filter hangs down, then filling it up is an OK idea. If they are horizontal, then filling them up is a waste of time.

When I worked in the quick lube industry, some cars had the oil filter upside down, that was fun as all the oil drained everywhere. IIRC, it was the old RX-7 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back