Installed Mishimoto Dual Oil Catch Can System

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on my new 2016 WRX.

Along with using low-volatility oil, hopefully this will greatly reduce intake tract deposits. They also say it improves intercooler efficiency because no oil mist in the charge air. Just over 1500 miles on the car now, with 600 of those racked up yesterday on a road trip to the Deal's Gap area of East Tennessee, with quite a bit of "spirited" driving. I'll drain the factory oil this week and fill with PPPP 10W-30 and stick to short-ish intervals of 3-4K. The reason I've decided on PP 10W-30 is that it has an outstandingly low NOACK value of 4.7%...one of the best of any oil, regardless of cost. It should also stand up to fuel dilution and shear a bit better than a GF-5 5W-30. And it's available at WM for 24 bucks/jug. I'll send a sample of the PPPP for analysis when I drain it and go from there. Car sees only street use, with frequent, spirited backroad runs. Thanks to bluesubie and others for pointing out that low NOACK on the PPPP 10W-30.

What I like about the Mishimoto system:

• High-quality components, for the most part
• Silicone hoses are a nice touch, and shouldn't deteriorate as quickly as rubber
• Doesn't drain the volatilized oil from the CCV system back into crankcase
• Seems to be well-engineered
• Fast shipping, good customer service, good technical support, if needed
• Good installation video

- The only thing I don't care much for about the system is the inlet & outlet ports for the cans (where the hoses attach). They're plastic, they screw in, and when they're screwed in, it's somewhat of an interference fit. The threads on the ports being plastic, and screwing into an aluminum socket, it's easy to crossthread or mess up the plastic threads if you're not careful. When they got about halfway in, I started getting a little nervous because there was a lot of resistance, and I thought I might be applying enough torque to mess up the threads. But I kept tightening, and got them in without a problem. Still, I wish Mishimoto had also made these out of billet, anodized aluminum, like the cans themselves.

I'll be monitoring how much oil the cans collect and will report. Will also eventually borescope the intake valves.

Nice packaging
iEzhIba.jpg

Anodized, billet aluminum cans
Nj1yTGj.jpg

Fine, brass filter with baffle to prevent sloshing, o-ring for good seal between top & bottom
yMdcxlk.jpg

Silicone hoses...also available in black or red
NmnV1W4.jpg

Passenger side can - flow goes into can from PCV valve, and out to intake manifold
XNpPOjw.jpg

Driver's side can - flow goes into can from crankcase vent and out to turbo vent
XNpPOjw.jpg

YTz23VP.jpg

Not a bad-looking setup when all said & done.
w2wDudh.jpg

Next to Chilhowee Lake, Hwy. 129 (Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon), East Tennessee, April 5, 2016
toc6cN4.jpg

Everything was bolt-on, required no permanent modification, and car can easily be put back to stock at any time.

Well, it won't wear out. Maybe it'll fit your next ride.

Great looking installation.

Let us know how it works out once you get some miles on it.

Looks like you posted the same picture for the passenger side can and driver side can views.

Looks good! Those threads are npt so they are tapered and they mesh together to seal. o-ring boss would be a better design choice but more cost. npt has to have a thread tape or dope to seal and act as a lubricant.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Well, it won't wear out. Maybe it'll fit your next ride.

Great looking installation.

Let us know how it works out once you get some miles on it.

Thanks! Hopefully this car will last a long time...although I'm not all that confident it'll be as reliable as my Tacoma has been. But, hey, it's a high-performance car, and things that are high-performance usually require a bit more maintenance.

Long as there are no catastrophic failures, I'm OK with it!

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Driven the tail of the dragon a few times headed from KY to Nantahala.

It's fantastic, isn't it?

That's one of my favorite roads on a motorcycle, and my favorite road that I've driven, so-far, in this car.

(Hwy. 80 'The Devil's Whip' in NC may be my all-time favorite on a bike.)

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Looks like you posted the same picture for the passenger side can and driver side can views.

I JUST noticed that right before I read your post. Thanks for pointing that out. I love the attention to detail of folks on this board!

Here's the driver's side. The can mounts to the batt. hold-down bracket. Flow goes into can from crankcase vent and out to turbo vent.

Note placement of oil filter - a BITOGer's dream! My Taco has the oil filter in a similar location, but you have to take a cap off a nipple on the bottom of the oil filter mounting boss and either put a bottle underneath to catch what comes out of the filter when you remove it, or run a length of fuel line down to your drain pan. With this WRX, whatever comes out of the filter goes back into the crankcase. However, I've had the thought that contamination could get into the crankcase that way, because dirt/dust/whatever will build up around the oil filter, over time, and there is no way to wipe it out with a rag before removing the oil filter. So, whatever grit or dirt or bugs are in that boss around the filter are going to get carried down into the crankcase along with the residual oil that comes out of the filter. Oh well, guess that's why there's a filter for the engine oil.

OkQaJpW.jpg

Originally Posted By: abycat
Looks good! Those threads are npt so they are tapered and they mesh together to seal. o-ring boss would be a better design choice but more cost. npt has to have a thread tape or dope to seal and act as a lubricant.

Thanks for that information.

But they didnt' mention anything about needing thread tape or dope on them.

Forgot to mention that this is also said to reduce LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition) that some of these cars are having (especially, if not exclusively, the 2015s).

I thought the Audi guys said that catch cans were never proven to help? $380 insurance, I guess.

My DI-turbo insurance is RLI Bio-Plus. About 25 cents a tank to use. Just started on my last tank. I plan to 'scope what I can see of the valves at 20 or 30k miles.
I may also use LC-20 in the oil. Past mentions of how well it cleans carbon, seems like it could help, if present in blowby. I'd feel more comfortable with 10k OCIs while using it also (on M1 0w40).
(both non-proven alternative ideas, too - just a bit cheaper with additional benefits, so that ended up being my plan)

What about all the blow by products? There are more of them than even the highest NOACK numbers.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I thought the Audi guys said that catch cans were never proven to help? $380 insurance, I guess.

My DI-turbo insurance is RLI Bio-Plus. About 25 cents a tank to use. Just started on my last tank. I plan to 'scope what I can see of the valves at 20 or 30k miles.
I may also use LC-20 in the oil. Past mentions of how well it cleans carbon, seems like it could help, if present in blowby. I'd feel more comfortable with 10k OCIs while using it also (on M1 0w40).
(both non-proven alternative ideas, too - just a bit cheaper with additional benefits, so that ended up being my plan)

I've read that the early VW/Audi DI engines were some of the worst about intake tract deposits. Here's hoping that Subaru learned something from that in designing this engine.

The BR-Z/FR-S twins use combination direct/port FI. I assume a couple of things about that:

1. Toyota's engineers are more conservative and didn't fully trust a DI-only setup.

2. Subaru's engineers are confident enough in this system that they chose to go DI-only. Or maybe (obviously) they felt that the benefits of a DI-only system outweighed the drawbacks.

What good would a fuel additive do in combating intake tract deposits?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What about all the blow by products? There are more of them than even the highest NOACK numbers.

Who knows?

We can't do anything about blow-by, except to use the best fuel available, and to try to make sure our engines are well-broken-in, to seat the rings...which I have definitely done.

All we can do is to try to minimize deposits from what we are able to control. That's what I'm doing, by using a low-volatility oil and a catch can system.

Anyone else has any suggestions, I'm certainly listening.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: abycat

Thanks for that information.

But they didnt' mention anything about needing thread tape or dope on them.
You would not need tape with a plastic fitting. The plastic will deform to seal. Probably not a good idea to fully thread them in though with an NPT thread. If you ever take them out then the plastic would be deformed and need tape to seal again.

The same 3rd gen ea888 family in Europe currently uses port and DI injection. For whatever reasons VW decided that they didn't need that on these new engines here. We shall see how that choice works out for the owners.

RLI Bio-Plus fuel add was used in conjunction with RLI oil and supposedly work together to prevent deposits. I went with the cheaper of the two routes, as it is unknown whether these new engines will be good or bad, regarding deposits.

At least many people are looking out for them know so reports of issues should be quickly noted.

Good luck with our plans...

Worst-case scenario I pull the intake valves and have them walnut shell blasted at some point, years down the road.

That price is not too bad for a DOUBLE can system with all silicone hoses supplied.
wink.gif

Was it made in China like much of Mishimoto's other products?

(Hopefully, IF it was, they keep very tight reigns on the QC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back