Inside Mobil1's Testing & Lab set-up, Annual Prot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
One might also ask whether, taking EVERYTHING into account, the 10W20 route is fundamentally 'greener' and better for the environment than M1 AP? I rather suspect it is.

You should know very well that how "green" a product is considered to be is delineated by a couple checks in a couple rather narrow boxes.
wink.gif

A 1% improvement in fuel economy clearly is far more important than burning litres of oil. And, a 20,000 mile OCI is always greener, irrespective of the top ups necessary.
whistle.gif

Okay, from the top...

Group II base oil production is intellectually very 'clever'. You take raw VGO (something that looks like lube oil), you zap it with temperature, pressure & hydrogen over a few catalyst beds to saturate aromatics and covert waxy n-paraffins into non-waxy iso-paraffins. Net out all the various effects (energy, yields, by-products, etc) and the process is more effective than even the simple Group I solvent dewaxing route.

Contrast that with PAO production. You take either natural gas or light naphtha (nothing like lube oil!) and steam crack it (a highly energy intensive, destructive process) to form a 'dirty' mix of light olefins that you need to purify. That then needs to be oglimerised to Linear Alpha Olefin (LAO) and then further purified to yield 1-decene. That then needs to be polymerised to get PAO. This complexity explains why PAOs cost around 4-5 times as much as simple Group IIs and are inherently less 'green'

Then there's the additive angle. HSD VIIs are complex polymers built up from Isoprene, Butadiene, Styrene & Divinyl Benzene followed by a Hydrogen saturation step. They are expensive materials again reflecting the amount of energy & 'destruction' consumed in their manufacture. If a 0W20 does contains said VII and a 10W20 doesn't contain any, then that's 'green' by my reckoning. One might also expect a 10W20 to contain less additive as a lot of additive basically goes into oil to counter the negative impact of the VII.

So let's talk fuel economy. At normal 'warmed-up' engine oil temperature (typically 100°C), there will be negligible difference between the fuel economy of a 0W20 & a 10W20. Only during the warm up phase will the 0W20 have an advantage over the 10W20. In Canada, in Winter, I could imagine this is significant. In Florida (or anywhere really with a sensible climate) I could similarly imagine that the fuel economy advantage of the 0W20 over a 10W20 during the warm-up phase is two tenths of bugger all.

Let's talk oil loss. The wording in the video is cleverly phrased. The oil will, from an oxidation point of view, last for 20k miles but ONLY PROVIDED it stays in your sump! I ran my own 0W20 out for 15.5k miles with no top-up. At the end of the OCI, 40% of the oil had 'disappeared'! Yes M1 AP will have a low Noack but low Noack alone does not guarantee zero oil loss. This will be especially true if you have a DI engine, low tension rings, fuel dilution, an old worn bore or you simply drive like a maniac. If you have to top up with X litres of oil over 20k miles, it negates a lot of the advantage of going with that expensive '20k capable' oil in the first place.

Which brings me to my last point. How many people who buy M1 AP will regularly drive it for exactly 20k miles and change it exactly after 12 months? There will be some definitely. Now how many people will regularly buy it and drive on it for significantly LESS than 20k miles and then change it at the end of the year. I'd say the answer is 'most people'. And for me, there's the disconnect. The raison d'être of this oil is more rooted in 'buyer psychology' (the 'I want the best oil for my car' syndrome) than it is in any kind of objective technical reality. It's why I personally wouldn't ever buy it....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
You said "other full PAO oil". No M1 oil is full PAO or any other daily driver oil that I know of.

SonOfJoe is basically right about M1 Ann Prot being "full" PAO, or at least close.
I just read the MSDS for M1 0w20 Ann Prot, and its about ~65% PAO. I think the M1 EP 0w20 was around 40% PAO or so. Anyway, looks like there is "a lot" of PAO in M1 Ann Prot, and maye 10% GroupIII and 10% ester (???) left-over... Guessing on what fills in the last small percent of base oil before the Detergent-Inhibitor-VII-etc. chemicals are added in (the "Additive Package" brew) for the final ~20% of the mass.

Maybe SonOfJoe or MolaKule are the only ones here to know about the anti-oxidants they put on the 0w20 MSDS for Ann Prot:
PHENOL, 4,4-
METHYLENEBIS(2,6-BIS(1,1-
DIMETHYLETHYL)-

I'm guessing thats the high-tech anti-oxidant that boosts M1 Ann Prot over the 20k finish line. Of course being 65% PAO probably helps.

And while on the subject of chemistry, like I understand much of it, the word "Ester" showed up on the MSDS as:
PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID,
MIXED 0,0 BIS (1,3-
DIMETHYLBUTYL AND ISOPR)ESTERS,
ZINC SALTS
which I suppose might be there to balance out the seal-shrinking PAO (esters swell seals).

.... That then needs to be oglimerised to Linear Alpha Olefin (LAO) and then further purified to yield 1-decene. ....
Coincidentally, I plan to get 'oglimerised' New Year's Eve....

So let's talk fuel economy. At normal 'warmed-up' engine oil temperature (typically 100°C), there will be negligible difference between the fuel economy of a 0W20 & a 10W20. Only during the warm up phase will the 0W20 have an advantage over the 10W20. In Canada, in Winter, I could imagine this is significant. In Florida (or anywhere really with a sensible climate) I could similarly imagine that the fuel economy advantage of the 0W20 over a 10W20 during the warm-up phase is two tenths of bugger all.
Hybrids, which run the engine only about 50% of the time, take forever to warm up, and even begin cooling down sometimes due to a long run in electric drive. Add winter to that normal condition, and, I've seen some very lethargic warm-ups in my CMax hybrid. Hybrids are the future, so almost all oils will be 0w16 or 0w20 in a few years.

Which brings me to my last point. How many people who buy M1 AP will regularly drive it for exactly 20k miles and change it exactly after 12 months? There will be some definitely. Now how many people will regularly buy it and drive on it for significantly LESS than 20k miles and then change it at the end of the year. I'd say the answer is 'most people'. And for me, there's the disconnect. The raison d'être of this oil is more rooted in 'buyer psychology' (the 'I want the best oil for my car' syndrome) than it is in any kind of objective technical reality. It's why I personally wouldn't ever buy it....

Very true. In the U.S., there are a lot of people who commute long distances. Back when I lived in California, I was amazed at the average commuting distances! Therefore, this M1 Ann Prot is for that group, as many will hit 20k miles in ~8 months, cutting down their maintenance time here (with a Fram Ultra 20k oil filter).

Also, and this is where I think M1 has missed on marketing, is that their M1 Annual Protection should be promoted to the "hot-hatchback" (Subaru WRX, Focus RS, etc.) and "towing pickup trucks" crowd as being the toughest (almost all PAO, high anti-ox) oil they could pick for their high temperatures and severe duty.

I like your insight into the 'I want the best oil' crowd too. These are people who just bought a very expensive cool new car or SUV and don't mind paying $15 extra per oil change to get an almost-all PAO oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I like your insight into the 'I want the best oil' crowd too. These are people who just bought a very expensive cool new car or SUV and don't mind paying $15 extra per oil change to get an almost-all PAO oil.

Is it the BITOG consensus that this truly is an "almost-all PAO" oil? Would that also explain why the KV100 viscosity is always less than the corresponding Mobil 1 EP product, meaning better base stock and less shearing?

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

Is it the BITOG consensus that this truly is an "almost-all PAO" oil? Would that also explain why the KV100 viscosity is always less than the corresponding Mobil 1 EP product, meaning better base stock and less shearing?

The current MSDS for M1 0w20 Annual Protection shows ~65% PAO, so I take that as about right, since its XOM's document.
Since an Additive Package takes up around 20% of the mass, then 80% or so of any motor oil is Base Oil. Therefore, M1 Ann Prot is almost-all PAO, very likely. Its higher than what M1 EP has (again from MSDS statements), BTW.

I'd agree with your shearing statement, likely true.
Also, with more PAO, M1 Ann Prot should need less VII, so less shearing from age & stress, from just using less VII in the first place.

So M1 AP would be a good choice for my ‘17 GM 5.3 if I wanted to stay with 0W-20 while trying to maintain the most protection?
I tow frequently with it, and it seeing redline quite often.

I would say thats excellent oil. Maybe a n exotic like amsoil might be better suited, but doubtful.

If you tow often why wouldn't you step up to a 30 grade?

At redine under full towing load that 20 is running out of the journals like water.

In a truck I use like a car 80% of the time - I run 20,
In a truck I use like a truck 80% of the time I run 30 or 40 I define that as towing at 50-80% of rate load or greater.

In owning a boat company I see more half ton chevies/fords /dodges/ toyotas/ nissans that have towed all their life than just about anyone on this forum.

Here in so cal towing through the desert heat and hills they are basically wasted and leak like sieves between 100 and 150K.

Try this - next time you are at home depot buy a a few neodymium magnets for 4 bucks put a couple on the dome if dome side down if oriented otherwise.

Compare what you see at the OCI with 20 and 30.

Ive done it and already know but seeing it yourself is eye opening.
Your truck your call.

UD

Last edited:
Does that magnet trick work better than a Gold Plug just for diagnosis … the 20 drives me crazy in the Tahoe …

I only tow about 1800 … so not sure if that matters …

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I would say thats excellent oil. Maybe a n exotic like amsoil might be better suited, but doubtful.

If you tow often why wouldn't you step up to a 30 grade?

At redine under full towing load that 20 is running out of the journals like water.

In a truck I use like a car 80% of the time - I run 20,
In a truck I use like a truck 80% of the time I run 30 or 40 I define that as towing at 50-80% of rate load or greater.

In owning a boat company I see more half ton chevies/fords /dodges/ toyotas/ nissans that have towed all their life than just about anyone on this forum.

Here in so cal towing through the desert heat and hills they are basically wasted and leak like sieves between 100 and 150K.

Try this - next time you are at home depot buy a a few neodymium magnets for 4 bucks put a couple on the dome if dome side down if oriented otherwise.

Compare what you see at the OCI with 20 and 30.

Ive done it and already know but seeing it yourself is eye opening.
Your truck your call.

UD

When I tow, I generally stay under ~4K RPMs. Only hit redline unloaded and of course fully warmed up. (Honest attempt at DI intake valve maintenance). I’ve thought about stepping up to a 30, but I don’t want any warranty complications

Originally Posted By: Bxnanaz
When I tow, I generally stay under ~4K RPMs. Only hit redline unloaded and of course fully warmed up. (Honest attempt at DI intake valve maintenance). I’ve thought about stepping up to a 30, but I don’t want any warranty complications
Its a tough call. Similar to all those Ford Eco-boost pickup truck (towing) folks turning to euro-spec 0w40 because of severe duty and fuel dilution. They supposedly put their warranties in jeopardy. I'd say GM wouldn't void an engine warranty if you used 5w30 M1 Annual Protection or any other syn 5w30 oil. It doesn't thin out as much at high temperatures, leaving a slightly thicker oil film.

Its a tough call. Similar to all those Ford Eco-boost pickup truck (towing) folks turning to euro-spec 0w40 because of severe duty and fuel dilution. They supposedly put their warranties in jeopardy. I'd say GM wouldn't void an engine warranty if you used 5w30 M1 Annual Protection or any other syn 5w30 oil. It doesn't thin out as much at high temperatures, leaving a slightly thicker oil film.

Would it be that much of a difference in your opinion? 0w-20 does have a better VI, preventing it from thinning out as much. At least that’s what I thought.

Would it be that much of a difference in your opinion? 0w-20 does have a better VI, preventing it from thinning out as much. At least that’s what I thought.
VII chemicals actually have the effect of supporting higher viscosity at high temperatures, where hydrodynamic "surfing" needs the viscosity. That said, I don't think there is much difference in the amount of VII in a 0w20 vs. a 5w30. The 5w30, with a hot HTHS=3.0 would maintain the oil film thickness (separation of surfing parts) better if engine temperatures got elevated while towing or racing, or when idling a lot when cam lobe shear rates are low. 0w20 has an HTHS=2.7, so you can see right away there is only a 10% difference between a 0w20 vs. 5w30. That 10% difference does mean you get a bit more hydrodynamic surface area at high temperatures.

Bottom Line: a 5w30 will give you more hydrodynamic lubrication in your engine. Not much more, but some margin. And give you a little room for the engine to overheat some and still provide adequate protection. Fuel economy and peak HP will only drop by about 1% compared to a 0w20.

If GM says a 0w20 is fine, it will certainly get an engine through the Powertrain Warranty, which GM most cares about.
I would go to an M1 Ann Prot 5w30 if racing or towing though, in an engine that called for a 0w20. Maybe OCD, but the margin is nice.

VII chemicals actually have the effect of supporting higher viscosity at high temperatures, where hydrodynamic "surfing" needs the viscosity. That said, I don't think there is much difference in the amount of VII in a 0w20 vs. a 5w30. The 5w30, with a hot HTHS=3.0 would maintain the oil film thickness (separation of surfing parts) better if engine temperatures got elevated while towing or racing, or when idling a lot when cam lobe shear rates are low. 0w20 has an HTHS=2.7, so you can see right away there is only a 10% difference between a 0w20 vs. 5w30. That 10% difference does mean you get a bit more hydrodynamic surface area at high temperatures.

Bottom Line: a 5w30 will give you more hydrodynamic lubrication in your engine. Not much more, but some margin. And give you a little room for the engine to overheat some and still provide adequate protection. Fuel economy and peak HP will only drop by about 1% compared to a 0w20.

If GM says a 0w20 is fine, it will certainly get an engine through the Powertrain Warranty, which GM most cares about.
I would go to an M1 Ann Prot 5w30 if racing or towing though, in an engine that called for a 0w20. Maybe OCD, but the margin is nice.

Appreciste thr input, sir.

As regards the various 'what goes into M1 AP?' questions, I have no specific inside knowledge but...

The base oil system will be predominantly PAO (I seem to recall the guy picked up bottles of PAO 4 & PAO 6?). This figures as you traditionally need PAO for 0W oils. In days gone by, you might typically put 10% ester base oil in to stop seals drying out but TomNJ (who used to work for Hatco) recently said this market has greatly diminished. Maybe the 2% ester number in the Exxon table is closer to reality. There could be some Group III in the oil. In the two full synthetic programs I ran, there was always pressure to reduce the overall cost of the oil regardless of the fact it was notionally a 'premium' product. This might not be added directly but enter the oil as liquid VII diluent or additive process oil. Having said all that, my gut feel would be this oil borders on being full PAO as they will need that in order to maintain the oil's stability over 20k.

The guy picks up just one bottle of Antioxidant which is black. AFAIK, there's only black AO and that's Moly. However I suspect this is a blind. My gut feel is that M1 AP contains more than one AO and the bottle is actually a 'cocktail' of three or four AOs. Moly will impart that black colour to anything.

The anti-wear looks exactly like ZDDP. I has that distinctive amber-straw colour.

The detergent could be anything (Ca, Mg, Sulphonate, Phenate, Salicylate) because they all look the same brown colour.

Two Ashless Dispersants is par for the course. One low MW, the other higher MW.

In short, there's nothing here I'd classify as 'out of the ordinary' regarding the tech make up of the oil.

Last edited:

Guess we will see down the road how it holds viscosity in GDI mills … seems to be a fair amount done to keep it from going the other way... as I have said before and SoJ touches on ~ some folks are not looking for 20k … just a premium oil. I dump EP at “half life” all the time if in warranty … OLM is boss …(should I say OnStar is)
Wal-Mart/ XOM: how about $34.97 and that $10 card?

Last edited:
Oil_Film_Movies,

Regarding your comments...

We have hybrids here in the UK and whilst you see them around, they're not terribly popular yet. That's possibly a consequence of diesels traditionally dominating the fuel economy sector (although this is changing very rapidly because of Dieselgate) and their relatively high cost. I didn't realise hybrids were slow to warm up. TBH, I would have thought if you're designing a hybrid, getting the oil temperature up as quickly as possible would have been a priority for when the ICE takes over from the battery. If hybrids do take an age to warm up it sorts of defeats the purpose of having a PAO oil because high temperature is the prime determinant of how fast an oil oxidises or moves into the blow-by. At aggregate low temperatures over 20k miles, a Group II oil would do just fine (I would have no objection to a 10W16 Group II/III oil!)

Regarding drivers who commute 30k miles a year. Blimey! That's roughly 120 miles a day! Aren't these people permanently knackered? When do these people ever get time to talk to their kids or give the missus a cuddle???

Our Fusion will run around town all day on electric … but if I get on the freeway ramp the gasoline motor has to start and take over … you don’t count on these Atkinson cycle engines to do the low end work …

I just read the MSDS for M1 0w20 Ann Prot, and its about ~65% PAO. I think the M1 EP 0w20 was around 40% PAO or so.

M1 EP 0w-20 and M1 AP 0w-20 have the same amount of PAO listed in the MSDS.

Both list 60-70%:

M1 EP 0w-20:

M1 AP 0w-20:

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I just read the MSDS for M1 0w20 Ann Prot, and its about ~65% PAO. I think the M1 EP 0w20 was around 40% PAO or so.

M1 EP 0w-20 and M1 AP 0w-20 have the same amount of PAO listed in the MSDS.

Both list 60-70%:

M1 EP 0w-20:

M1 AP 0w-20:

Have you seen 5w20 and 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back