Insect Screen over Radiator

I was thinking of putting an Insect Screen over my Grill to prevent bugs, rocks and seeds (simular to cotton) from
clogging or damaging the Radiators (coolant & transmission) and AC condenser.
Although, after 19 years of driving same vehicle, this may be a solution looking for a problem.

I was considering:
1) Seasonal use during Spring or a long trip to rural areas
2) Mount to exterior of grill so could be easily removed for cleaning or storage
3) Not a very fine screen (NOT window screen) but with 1/8" between thin wires

I am concerned about restricting any air flow and worry about possible over heating.

Question: Anybody install an Insect Screen in front of vehicle and have good or bad results ?

Thanks for any advise.

I have window screen in front of the Park Ave's condenser, been there since the car was new in '05. I changed the screen only once 4 or 5 years ago, because the original had a tear in it. The condenser looks like new, no bugs, no bent fins. I just wash the bugs off the screen occasionally.
The alternative is pressure washing the bugs out of the condenser, which could result in bent fins.
No problems with engine temp or a/c performance. I do have the screen installed so that it is quite 'wavy' with extra screen, and not tight against the condenser. I secured it around the outside edges with a few zip ties.

In hot weather you can keep an eye on the engine temp gauge for the first few drives, just to be sure that there isn't an issue with the screen.

There used to bug screen kits and winter blanking kits ( some with both, as a set). I had one for my 93 Suburban. It was very common on trucks in the 90’s. A search on Amazon did not turn anything up. A business opportunity?

After having an AC condenser condenser coil broken by a piece of gravel, I installed aluminum window screen over all my vehicle radiators and coils. The screen is installed loosely with plenty of curves for flexibility. I wash the bugs and grass seed off thoroughly at least every spring. Works for me.

The "ricer" thing to do would be to fiberglass in aluminum expanded metal (cooking grill mesh) on the back side of the bumper

If you're handy with body working and fabrication, you could probably make the screens into removable panels

Back