Injector Upgrade/Cleaning - Thanks Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
After 22 years and 146k+ miles, I thought it might be time to do something about the injectors in my 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. The common upgrade people do with the 4.0L engine is swapping in mid 90's Dodge Neon fuel injectors for a better spray pattern and better power. Some people also experience better fuel economy too. (They're a 4 hole injector vs the stock 1 hole). Same flow though.

I ordered 4 used injectors and 2 "reman" injectors on eBay and sent them to member Trav on here to work on them and make sure they're perfect, I'm keeping my Jeep forever, so swapping in used injectors and unknown reman injectors is very questionable.

It's a good thing I sent them to him, as the used ones weren't in good shape. They had likely been sitting for a long time and were rusty, one was unable to be serviced. One of the reman injectors was also defective and couldn't be serviced. I ordered up 4 more used ones and he was able to get them dialed in perfect.

Trav sealed up the injectors and labeled which ones are the 6 to use, the 2 good spares, and the 2 junk ones. I also got a data sheet showing the before and after specs of the injectors.

I assume some of my results are from going to 4 hole upgrade injectors, but certainly a lot of it is from Trav servicing them! My Jeep runs fantastic. It ran great before but now, wow!

Power- It isn't really any faster as far as a drag race is concerned, I wasn't wanting that. It's so much more responsive though, the power translates extremely evenly throughout the powerband. It can definitely pass easier without kicking down a gear. Basically, it's got power all over the place.

Noise- I never expected it to be quieter. I'm not one of those guys that can hear the difference with switching to different oils. Never have been able to. But my Jeep is way quieter now, and really smooth.

Fuel Economy- This is still a little inconclusive, because supposedly it takes 50 complete warm ups for the computer to learn new fuel injectors from what I've read. I drove it to work a couple times last week and sat through traffic, let it idle a lot for A/C, and sometimes drove a little wild
grin2.gif
and got 13.5 mpg, which is about normal for this kind of driving.
Last night I took it on a trip to Tucson, AZ and back to test the fuel economy, a 200 mile round trip. I kept it at 65 mph and had the A/C on the whole time. 21.3 mpg! I think that's wonderful for a 4x4 6 cylinder with all terrain tires and being shaped like a shoebox going down the highway, especially as it's only rated for 18 mpg on the highway, almost 20% better than the EPA rating.

I just thought I've got to give kudos to Trav, I couldn't imagine just throwing in those used injectors and drive it like that for another 20+ years. The guys on the Cherokee forum do that all the time. They're missing out!

Awesome to hear.
Even better to hear of vehicles still on the road at that age.
[censored] the northeast.

His work is second to none. I had the opportunity to meet him and watch him in action. I've met a lot of mechanics in my day, I've been around a long time, he is without a doubt the most skilled and knowledgeable of all of them.

Yes sir I was having starting issues with my 3500 454 couple years back he sent me some Ford 5.0 injectors that he redone bench tested etc they looked like new truck has been running like new every since!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Trav is a fantastic guy and a great asset to the board.
thumbsup2.gif

+1
Definitely one of our finest!

Originally Posted By: Number_35
thumbsup2.gif

+1

+2 His experience and knowledge is invaluable and his willingness to help is unheard of these days.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: Number_35
thumbsup2.gif

+1

+2 His experience and knowledge is invaluable and his willingness to help is unheard of these days.

+3

Trav is great. And he's seeing better now too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Let us know when you get these installed.

They are installed, you can see my results above for power, noise, and fuel economy.

Awesome! When my 97 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) with the 4.0 hit 180k miles I swapped the injectors to the Ford 5.0 injectors. Same flow I believe but with the 4 hole. I saw better fuel economy, and going up hills it tended to not shift down as frequently. It really was a worthwhile upgrade. I sold my Jeep to a friend and its still on the road with 220k miles now.

If I ever have to do some top-end work and time isn't a problem, I'll send my injectors over to Trav for him to do his magic on them.

Thanks for the kind words all! These injectors came out very well once we had a set that could be cleaned and a couple to match up.
The Bosch III injectors are really nice injectors, they have strong coils and provide a very nice atomized spray pattern.

There are over 20 different spray patterns from a straight stream to a large multi stream cone and everything in between.
For this engine 2V non forced induction no pent roof chambers these injectors (the 5.0 also) provide an ideal pattern and flow, the result is smoother combustion with less cylinder wall wash down, there are zero negatives to using these only positives, these Gen III units were not available when the vehicle was made.

They would not be ideal for multi valve or forced induction engines, they require a totally different spray pattern.

Trav is the man - he's helped me source flow matched injector sets for quite a number of cars, as well as help to maintain them.
thumbsup2.gif

I have two sets of injectors for my cars - one on standby for whenever I do a tune up, and the set I remove always goes back to him to clean, seal and store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back