Injector cleaner in Direct injection

I was thinking about using mix of Techron concrete plus and gumout regane high mileage or all in one or redline s1 which upper cilyder lubilicant using old chemtool hose with brake booster line.

You've been told a half truth.

Injector cleaners do clean the injectors for DI engines.

They do not however, clean the back of the intake valves, since fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber.
Yes, I knew that.

Oh man, not Nates Interactive

I was thinking about using mix of Techron concrete plus and gumout regane high mileage or all in one or redline s1 which upper cilyder lubilicant using old chemtool hose with brake booster line.
Why not buy the crc intake valve and turbo cleaner designed and tested specifically for GDI vehicles. Homemade concoctions may not work, do nothing (in which case it was just wasted money)or in the worst case cause catostophic engine damage. But its your car and your money.

Why not buy the crc intake valve and turbo cleaner designed and tested specifically for GDI vehicles. Homemade concoctions may not work, do nothing (in which case it was just wasted money)or in the worst case cause catostophic engine damage. But its your car and your money.
CRC intake cleaner is amazing stuff.
A little more work but it works.

It is not like a foam, just a clear liquid coming out of the straw.
Works great , I use it every 10k on all of our DI cars.

Follow the instructions on the can, you can't go wrong.
Might need a helper to keep the rpms up over 2.5k.

Worth checking out is some of the diesel products. Stay away from the cetane boosters. The direct injection gas engines have high pressure fuel pumps and injectors in the combustion area just like diesel engines, the lubricity of gasoline is not much better than the ultra low sulphur diesel being pumped.

Its worth a shot to consider.

Lubricity of gas is much worse than ultra low sulphur diesel... pressures are a factor 10 lower in DI gas engines and the pumps are part oil lubricated.

Gumout AlO and Regane High Mileage with up to 30% Of PEA.

Techron recently updated their MSDS. Trade secret is now up to 35%, wonder if thats PEA or not.

As others noted, they still clean direct injectors. However, the problem is that not much is reaching the intake valves, which still get carboned up from combustion deposits. Some engines have a supplemental port fuel injector. I heard that cleaning the valves is just a side benefit, while performance/efficiency is the main reason.

Afton claims to have developed detergent additives that deal with cleaning in DI engines. However, they claim that it helps with cleaning injectors in hotter conditions compared to port injectors.

PEA based cleaners help keep the nozzles clean but once they are clogged or partially clogged nothing in a bottle will clean them back to 100%.
Redline SI-1, Techron, some of the Gumout products will do as good a job as any Seafoam does very little if anything.
Some injectors found in a few engines eg Mazda, VW/Audi have a habit of burning the filters right out, the burnt filter particles go in the injector and in some cases damages the injector.

I usually see these at about 80-100K. I service a lot of injectors for the local Mazda dealer mostly Mazda 3 with no filter left at all just the brass ring.
Trav, have you noticed this more on the 2l Skyactiv as opposed to the 2.5l?

I was going to ask if the same injectors are on the Mazda 2.5g.
I believe they’re different, going by aftermarket park numbers at least.

That may shed some light on why he’s seeing this more with the 3 as opposed to the other models that have the 2.5l as an option.

I understand that even soaking carbonized valves in carb cleaner, parts cleaner and other chemicals are still unable to remove the build up from the valves, you need to use physical force to remove the build up. If that is the case, how is it that intake cleaner can do anything at all for DI engines ? It sounds like the product is just a marketing scam. Thoughts?

I disagree a almost clogged injector can't be cleaned. My ford tarus with 100k mi was barely running would stall at idle. The machanic wanted 800 to fix injectors. I was not going to put that money in the car. With the gas down to 2gal (warning light came on) i put in techron, drove 10 mi added 1gal gas then tried b12, then tried seafoam, lastly tryied k&m technical grade. So after 4 products and adding 4 gal of gas i came to the conclusion that 12 to 16 oz of any product was going to be too diluted to clean the injectors. As a last dish effort i added 1 gal of pure naphtha. So 2 gal gas 1gal solvent. The car hated it and bucked. But after 10 mi it ran fine. Added 1gal more it elimiated the bucking. NEVER HAD A PROB AGAIN AND SAVED 750 DOLLARS.

Gumout has a “Multi-system Tune-Up” additive for cleaning fuel injectors when added to the fuel tank.

It also says it can be added to the oil at the rate of one ounce per quart of oil.

I believe adding it to a GDI engine with 50k miles or more would likely do little to clean any intake valve deposits.

However, if you add it to the oil on a new(er) engine, do you believe it would slow down or prevent an IVD issue?

Gumout has a “Multi-system Tune-Up” additive for cleaning fuel injectors when added to the fuel tank.

It also says it can be added to the oil at the rate of one ounce per quart of oil.

I believe adding it to a GDI engine with 50k miles or more would likely do little to clean any intake valve deposits.

However, if you add it to the oil on a new(er) engine, do you believe it would slow down or prevent an IVD issue?
I would use it in the fuel tank and use one ounce per quart of oil right before a oil change and run it for a few minutes around the block/idle for 10-15 minutes than drain. I like the CRC GDi aerosol cleaner through the throttle body. I spray some on a old toothbrush 🪥 and scrub the throttle plate.

Back