Inherited Savage model 110 in 30-06. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice the checkering in the first photo where some of the cuts went outside the border cuts. The first owner probably wasn't thrilled, today we like to see the evidence of hand made.

Hope you can take it afield and enjoy it.

great rifle. you can change the caliber to 308 or something with the same case head size easily by replacing the barrel by unthreading the nut. they are also known to be quite accurate .

Fine rifle. Besides the ammo, accuracy will depend on the scope and the stock bedding. Don't file the extractor any, it might be old enough to be bronze beryllium, highly toxic.

The Savage 110 had one of the longest actions on the market at a time when short actions and short cartridges (.223, .308) were all the new rage, they were snubbed and overlooked by gun writers for years. Eventually they came out with a short action version.

Snarl,

Your rifle looks like it may be a Model 110 Sporter Bolt Action that Savage manufactured from 1958-1963 according to the Blue Book of Gun Values. The four digit serial number and what looks like a "J" in the inspectors stamp suggests that the rifle was manufactured in 1958. I suggest you contact Mad Dog on savageshooters.com, as he has helped several members there track down the date of manufacture of their Model 110's.

Belker

I have one. Probably newer than yours. I bought mine (used) in 1992, it was probably 2-4 years old at the time. Fairly accurate, 1-2" groups at 100 yards.

Kicks like three mad mules!

I once had one , purchased used , also in .30-06 . Was a good rifle , except , being light , I did not care for the recoil . Eventually sold it and bought a .308 .

PS I sanded the wood down to expose the wood & stain it . It came with a horrible dark finish , almost like a cross between varnish and paint . Think I sanded out most of the barrel channel to free float the barrel .

The rifle shot very well . Just too light and kicked too much for my liking .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back