Infrared Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use a Fluke mini62 for work. Nice, simple.

There is a bigger Fluke that has a K type thermocouple plug in as well.

Generally, it's hard to go wrong with Fluke for measurement devices. Although, I'm sure there are cheaper that are decent.

I've seen wild variation of reading due to surface finish of radiating area. IIRC Black oxide is best, chromed steel poor vs correlation with a tape on or clamp on thermocouple.

This was when I was working in polymer molding, using equipment with heated die and feed screws. Ir was just a quick double check confirmation if a K couple was reading "off". Maybe I had a junk IR gun. I don't recall the brand. It wasn't a "cheapie".

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've seen wild variation of reading due to surface finish of radiating area. IIRC Black oxide is best, chromed steel poor vs correlation with a tape on or clamp on thermocouple.

This was when I was working in polymer molding, using equipment with heated die and feed screws. Ir was just a quick double check confirmation if a K couple was reading "off". Maybe I had a junk IR gun. I don't recall the brand. It wasn't a "cheapie".

An IR thermometer is generally set to give an accurate reading of an object with an emissivity of .95. Some are adjustable to match the emissivity of object you are measuring. If you go online you can find the emissivity of common materials.

That being said, you will never get an accurate reading of a reflective object.

What are you using the IR thermometer for? I have a cheapie one and it works great for my needs like the temperature of the air ducts in my house.

Emissivity varies with both the material and surface condition. Here is a typical emissivity chart. http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/emissivity_table For example, aluminum foil has low emissivity and will read room temperature even though being at several hundred degrees. In general, objects will be considerably warmer than an infrared thermometer indicates. In electrical work, you are better off scanning wire insulation temperature rather than lug temperature.

When was constantly monitoring the boiler house, combustors, and pollution controls at my last job, a $125 IR gun from Grainger worked out real well. It was simple and got good results. I even brought it home a few times to use on my car to find radiator or engine hot/cold spots. Should probably get one of those again, even if only for checking temperatures of the house walls and windows during winter.

When we did the annual plant surveys from combustors to stack we'd bring in a pro with top level gear that ran us $1,200 or so for 2 days as I recall. Cheap insurance when you're looking for problems.

Check out the Nubee NUB838OH over at Newegg. I got a friend onto this one last year and he uses it a lot for checking his pellet stoves and various car projects. The price very right at $15

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Check out the Nubee NUB838OH over at Newegg. I got a friend onto this one last year and he uses it a lot for checking his pellet stoves and various car projects. The price very right at $15

I have a Nubee Nub8500H. $16 at Walmart.com.

Think I got it on sale for like $12. I have no complaints about it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
What are you using the IR thermometer for? I have a cheapie one and it works great for my needs like the temperature of the air ducts in my house.

I'm going around my house looking for drafts.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: ET16
Can anyone recommend an infrared thermometer?
Thermoworks Industrial IR gun is currently on sale for $50. Looks like a quality unit from the same company that makes precision thermometers
http://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

Looks good. I got a Klein IR5; the Thermoworks looks similar.

I use the harbor freight one all the time. I located a slab leak(water) using this and I use it all the time on older gas engines to detect cylinder imbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back