Info on PTO generators appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know where to post this, will try here first. Am looking into generators and have a 30hp Ford diesel tractor. Someone suggested looking into PTO generators. Any experiences, suggestions or comments welcome. Thanks and have a good one.

Just to keep this active, what's your intended usage? That is, mobile power ..back up power (on the semi-cheap- you already have a good engine for the job)?? Is this going to be through direct mounted chain drive ...or to a remote mounted trailer'd unit (drive shafts and universals)???

I don't have a clue ..but just figured I'd ask some of the sensible questions.
21.gif

Thanks for the reply. Main use will be as back up power and was thinking of running it off the PTO with a shaft.

Originally Posted By: cephas
Thanks for the reply. Main use will be as back up power and was thinking of running it off the PTO with a shaft.

What kind of Kw you looking to turn? I figure you're really looking for what NOT to buy ..since it seems that there's plenty of out of the box stuff (Northern Tool, as was mentioned, appears to have a few + accessories).

Actually I was just looking for some general advice. What to look out for, stay away from, helps if you do this, things that I usually consider after I buy something. For what I need I could get by with an out of the box generator. Shove it in the corner ready to go. However I look at my tractor, and my buried fuel oil tank I could run it off of, and am sitting on the fence on which way to go.

Many farmers use a PTO generators, simply because they already have a convienient power source. My uncle uses one, theres a disconnect on the power pole by the house and he just rolls up and hooks up.

You might want to start by looking at the horsepower requirements each generator requires and go from there.

Alex.

A question of my own,,,Will the goevernor on a tractor engine speed up and slow down precisely enough to keep 60 cycle going when load changes from electrical loads going off and on? Heater thermostat, fridge cycling, etc.?

Bob

Tractor engine idle speed is very low the PTO shaft moves slowly...Most PTO on tractors as tractors are engaged at a certain rpm per by manual recommended in movement with different gear engagement.

"Farm tractors and some trucks and industrial engines can have a PTO or Power-Take-Off shaft that is used to power attachments such as sprayers, hydraulic pumps and, well, generators.

The PTO is low speed, so a PTO generator usually has a gearbox to step the speed up to the RPM needed to turn a generator. PTO's are pretty standardized and use a short driveshaft to couple the tractors PTO to the attachment.

PTO generators are used where remote power is needed and a PTO-equipped vehicle is available. It saves having to buy and maintain another engine.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
A question of my own,,,Will the goevernor on a tractor engine speed up and slow down precisely enough to keep 60 cycle going when load changes from electrical loads going off and on? Heater thermostat, fridge cycling, etc.?

Bob

Tractors have governors. Just like a lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
unless you need a lot of power it seems like running a 30 hp engine would be a little inefficient. On the other hand it is a cheap way to get a 30hp generator.

Thanks, your reply has really got me thinking,and you're right on about being inefficient overall. Maybe will look at some small diesel generators so I still could take advantage of my stash of fuel. Possibly do another reality check and realize a moderate gas one could do all I need. Have a good one.

Bob

It can become somewhat a problem when you are putting a heavy load on. I have a 10HP b/s engine driving a generator using a belt. I have the engine running at about 2800 rpm and of course the generator runs at 3600 rpm. So my problem is somewhat magnified.

Basically I run with about 132 volts to anticipate a drop when a load gets put on. If you have a "store bought" system where the engine always runs at 3600 rpm (max) and so does the generator. It is less a problem.

BTW I use one of these plugged in all the time to keep an eye on voltage.
11SD37G6Y8L._SL500_AA150_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cephas
tom slick said:
Maybe will look at some small diesel generators so I still could take advantage of my stash of fuel. Possibly do another reality check and realize a moderate gas one could do all I need. Have a good one.

Yea..give it some thought. Think exactly what you want to run. How you are gonna' connect up. Gasoline is a PIA..look at fuel consumption for the load and then think through how you are gonna' keep it fueled. My system is so convoluted..only I could ever operate it.

Originally Posted By: Al

Yea..give it some thought. Think exactly what you want to run. How you are gonna' connect up. Gasoline is a PIA..look at fuel consumption for the load and then think through how you are gonna' keep it fueled. My system is so convoluted..only I could ever operate it.

diesel can also be a PIA; it doesn't store well and can be a bear to start when it is really cold out.

Propane power would be worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: twentynine

Bob

Tractors have governors. Just like a lawnmower.

Not being totally ignorant on subject (notice I'm asking ABOUT governor). Question was, is the tractor's governor sensitive enough to keep gen at correct rpm when load changes?

Bob

Bob

No the rpm is set, the PTO will spin as given what the tractor puts out. Tractor engines are much more powerful than a generator engine it will not bog down the PTO should spin as given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back