Info for lawnmower class action settlement $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2024
Two links, one is for the news story on the local news about the class action settlement. And the other link is for the settlement website. Up to $35.00 for walkbehinds, and up to $75.00 for riders if purchased between 1/1/94 and 4-12-10!

story

link to settlment

Last edited:
I can't believe that enough people could prove that they were materialy damaged by an overstated HP rating in of all things a lawnmower that a class action could even be constructed, let alone successful.

And then that people would be hopping on the bandwagon to get their ounce of flesh.

And then complain about ambulance chasing lawyers.

Agreed to a point, the settlment seems kinda petty. But at the same time big business needs to be honest regaurding the products they sell to the public. A lot of people make a living with small engines being they're workhorses. Shouldnt you get what you think your paying for?

My bad to Quatro Pete for the repost topic. Havent been on BITOG latley and at first glance I didnt see this topic has already been started...
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Shouldnt you get what you think your paying for?

True, true.

BUT, it still sounds like to much for me.

Agreed to a point, the settlment seems kinda petty. But at the same time big business needs to be honest regaurding the products they sell to the public. A lot of people make a living with small engines being they're workhorses. Shouldnt you get what you think your paying for?

Dunno about whether an inch pound in torque is what I'm buying for, rather than something to mow my grass, and last 20 years.

I too think that when it is rated at say 27HP, I would be more inclined to buy it, instead of the opposing brand with a measly 23hp. All bussiness needs to sell products honestly and let the consumer decide. I bought a cub cadet 1554 with a 27hp Kohler engine and it replaced a 15 year old sears garden that had a 44 inch deck with a 18hp kohler, the new mower has a 10 inch wider deck but seems like it has never cut as good as the old mower to me, not as strong in thicker grass, granted it has to also run the hydrastatic drive which I am sure eats HP but if it is rated 27hp it should be 27 that is why I bought it.

I think if the HP was exaggerated the companies that lied should be punished and made to pay. Next time they'll state the true HP. I have to read the papers I might be entitled to some cash. Better in my pocket than in big businesses pocket. JMO

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
How can it be proved one (or all) of those brands done that?

No clue, I guess the lawyers sorted it out, or will sort it out.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I can't believe that enough people could prove that they were materialy damaged by an overstated HP rating in of all things a lawnmower that a class action could even be constructed, let alone successful.

Consider the fact that an average consumer might have made a choice and paid extra $$ for what he thought was the "better, more powerful" model, when in fact, he wasn't getting it. I just bought a new weedwhacker last week, and did exactly that, buying the 'middle' model and paying more because it advertised a more powerful engine. I am sure many folk buy the same way..

In real simple terms:

You buy thirty widgets from me and I charge you for thirty. I put them in a bag, you take them home and find twenty. Is that right or is it wrong? Should I be punished for ripping you off? Or should you just shrug it off?

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
What a waste!

Agreed, who cars its a lawnmower. Don'r people have more important things to worry about?

To those that are not filing their claims, who do you think gets the money if it is not claimed? I am pretty sure the lawyers that filed the lawsuit keep it, not the manufacturer. So who better to have it, you or them? I agree this lawsuit is pretty frivolous, but why let the ambulance chasers keep it?

I am filing for mine. I have a 2006 135A. I do think it is frivolous and I don't have any regrets on buying my John Deere engine wise or frame wise or anything like that but I do have a recurring problem with the paint peeling and I figure $75 would go towards the cost of the paint I have been buying to keep touching up the places where it is peeling. engine wise this machine is great!!! it says 22hp and I believe it is as I am a very large man,(I don't need the wheel weights in the winter) I weigh almost as much as the machine itself and it hauls my big rear end around the yard just fine!!! I have also used it to haul heavy bags of stuff around the yard and even used a chain on it to pull out an old clothes line pole that was cemented into the ground with about three feet of cement.

I also mow part of a field that borders my back yard just to keep the weeds and critters a little farther from my lawn. When I first mowed it the weeds were taller than the front of the tractor's hood and I just mowed a little slower than normal just to give the blades a little extra time to first cut the weed "trees" down then to grind them up, I expected it to bog down at some point but it never did and the motor never even seemed to notice at all!! Not bad for a "little" Deere with a hydro and 22hp motor!

It also got me through the record setting snow fall this winter and I use the snow blade and not a blower so it was working very hard at that, never let me down, never even slowed me down ever since I have had it. Bought it new 3/2006 I have only had to replace the blades and the blade drive belt and I really did not "have" to do either of those in fact I still have the original blades and belt in the garage as backups just in case.

The only real complaint I have is the paint peeling!!! So yea, I am going to file and see if I can get back some money I have spent on that.

The engine as well and the whole machine still runs like it was new and has all the power I can use!!!!!

My bad to Quatro Pete for the repost topic. Havent been on BITOG latley and at first glance I didnt see this topic has already been started...
33.gif

No biggie. We can't possibly be monitoring every single thread on this board.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back