Inflation of common items since 2021

we looked into solar and the cost was about the same as my currant bill
They all do that though and it includes financing and everything else and they are sizing the solar to 100% offset your usage. So in your case it is a large installation to offset $600/month.
That doesn’t mean solar doesn’t make sense for you just yet.

Are you metered on the time of use or on a tiered rate?

I was on a tiered rate and did some calculations where a small panel of around 5kw would be enough to keep me in tier 1, which was around 14c/kw. The tier2 bumped it to around 30c/kwh I think. So it was the tier2 that was the majority of the bill, even though it was a small portion of the kWh used.
Had I not decided to move to TX, I would have installed that small solar panel just to offset the tier2 rate hike.

I recommend you do some more research into your PG&E rates and which plans they offer in your area. The solar panel sales people won’t do that for you.

Not adjustable rate. The increase is from the insurance thats part of my mortgage payment. The electric company had raised the rates to cover the fire they started a couple years ago. The mortgage and $600 electric bill is 1/2 my monthly income.
It's not just due to the fire.

There's a certain margin between wholesale and retail and that margin is supposed to cover costs the Utility incurs outside of the fees defined on your bill. One of those things is of course profit, if the utility is a private corporation.

So, let's look at California. Consumption was 245TWh; 245,000GWh; 245,000,000MWh in 2023. Assuming this could be procured at an average wholesale rate of $80/MWh, that's a wholesale cost of $19.6 billion. Let's assume a retail rate of $150/MWh (we are ignoring for the sake of this simplified exercise, lower industrial/commercial rates), that's $36.75 billion in revenue, which nets us $17.15 billion. If we assume $15 billion in operating costs for the utility, that leaves us with $2.15 billion in profit.

So, this breaks down as:
Total operating costs: $34.6 billion
Total revenues: $36.75 billion
Net revenues: $2.15 billion

Now, let's take 41.3TWh; 41,300GWh; 41,300,000MWh and net meter it at $350/MWh! That's a $14.46 billion expense.

So, assuming again for the sake of this exercise that we could procure the remaining 203,700,000MWh at $80/MWh, that's $16.3 billion, so a total supply cost of $30.76 billion, the cost of which we have to spread over the non-solar customers of 203,700,000MWh. We assume the same $15 billion in operating costs remain.

Total operating costs: $45.76 billion

So, now assuming Net revenues are expected to be the same, we need to recoup $47.91 billion from those remaining 203,700,000MWh, which yields a retail rate of $235/MWh.

Then, you add in the much lower retail rates for large I/C customers, and the retail rate required for consumers ratchets up further.

This is why the net metering system, paying full retail to wealthy homeowners who can afford solar, is a fool's errand, as the cost is increasingly borne by the less wealthy ratepayers, who are required to cover the full-retail subsidy, as well as the Utility operating costs that are not being carried by the net metering customers. This drives up the retail rates.

Last edited:
Folks with kids notice inflation much more than a husband and wife with no kids.
Do you mean because of the things needed for kids, or do you mean it’s felt less by those with no kids. My bro has no kids and I think he’s got more money than he needs for his lifetime as a result, but he still finds things expensive. For example a pizza where he lives is $26. To me that means simply can’t have it. To him it means cringe and get it.

Do you mean because of the things needed for kids, or do you mean it’s felt less by those with no kids. My bro has no kids and I think he’s got more money than he needs for his lifetime as a result, but he still finds things expensive. For example a pizza where he lives is $26. To me that means simply can’t have it. To him it means cringe and get it.

Both.

Of course childcare is a bell weather indicator of the economy. If one (either) parent gets laid off or rolls back to school hours they pull their kids out of daycare. You don't need years of education to work there so the workforce is transient, needs big bucks to retain in a hot market.

I'm still going by how fast semi trucks are speeding, and how late my amazon stuff is in the mail, to judge the economy.

One of the many advantages to owning a business - not that there aren't several risks too. Again, most of my friends do not own their own business and no one is getting laid off here. No one is canceling appointments because they lost their job. No one is transferring because we are not in-network with their insurance. Restaurants are full. The airport is full. People are going on vacation. I have no doubt there are areas feeling some strain right now, but it's not here.
MA, NH at least have strong economies , not sure if similar all parts of USA.

Back