Inflation of common items since 2021

People that don’t have kids are NOT aware how expensive kids are to raise.

Dog or Cat doesn’t count as a child.
I am surprised how much people will spend on a pet though... I guess if you've got money to burn, but $5-7k for a trendy dog breed, or the vet bills. $100's a month on fancy food... I ran into a young fellow at the baseball game and his wife's pair of miniature bulldogs was $10k...
TBH, our kids weren't really that expensive until we got into summer camps and sports travel, and saving for college. $25/day daycare at the neighbors helped for sure, and full time school at 4. We got buried in hand me down clothes and kids stuff.
I guess the 20 months of lower pay for parental leave does add up to a good amount, but we got paid to spend time at home, so I won't count that.

I would ask why the three year mark?
It almost sounds like creating a story out of numbers
It looks dramatic the price of gasoline yet over the decades, gasoline is almost cheap.
And was also coming out of a Covid low

The price of electricity hasn’t changed at all where I live and that goes for South Carolina and North Carolina. In fact, I don’t see how it could be any cheaper.
I don’t think anybody could deny that food has gone up. I’m just not sure why January 2021.

I would think if he picked even maybe January 2023 things would’ve been a lot less in fact I don’t know. I’m just crazy.🤣
The price of electricity has trippled here. We dont even have AC and my bill is $600. My mortgage has doubled due to the insurance going up

The price of electricity has trippled here. We dont even have AC and my bill is $600. My mortgage has doubled due to the insurance going up
My homeowners insurance is 5% of my total mortgage payment - how much are you paying in homeowners insurance?

I got to say, homeowners insurance is scary everywhere I think, along the east coast here too>
So far we are doing great, not sure how long it will last though, I got other prices and everyone is significantly high quotes that we pay now on our new home, which is roughly 1800 sqft and pay just shy of $1,600. Our last home further inland was around the same price (slightly less) and 3000 sq ft. I see others in my area now paying well into the $2000+ range.

With that said taxes and electric are stupid (and I mean stupid) cheap here. Just got my electric bill, we are off to a slightly hotter summer now and used significantly more electric. (we never open our windows any time of year) so HVAC is always active.
I would freak out at the rates you pay over there. I dont know why people put up with it.

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 10.36.37 AM.jpg

I believe after the election things will get worse.

My May bill was $161.18 with A/C running all the time, Florida Power & Light

Our house has tile and dogs love to lay on cool tile during the daytime. 🐶

Last edited:
My mortgage was $469. Its now $861 due to the ins going up
That's the sum total each month for housing, no? the money to mortgage is the same, but when you add in insurance and property tax, the bill can get big. Or do you have an adjustable rate mortgage, conspiring with rising insurance rate? Jumping by $400/month would imply a rather hefty insurance bill, out past $5k by the sounds of it (as wasn't zero before).

That's the sum total each month for housing, no? the money to mortgage is the same, but when you add in insurance and property tax, the bill can get big. Or do you have an adjustable rate mortgage, conspiring with rising insurance rate? Jumping by $400/month would imply a rather hefty insurance bill, out past $5k by the sounds of it (as wasn't zero before).
Not adjustable rate. The increase is from the insurance thats part of my mortgage payment. The electric company had raised the rates to cover the fire they started a couple years ago. The mortgage and $600 electric bill is 1/2 my monthly income.

Not adjustable rate. The increase is from the insurance thats part of my mortgage payment. The electric company had raised the rates to cover the fire they started a couple years ago. The mortgage and $600 electric bill is 1/2 my monthly income.
Ouch!

$600/mo. for electricity is very high. Would supplementary solar panels be a good fit for you?

$600/mo. for electricity is very high. Would supplementary solar panels be a good fit for you?
That ship has pretty much sailed for Californians. The new rate system, I forget what it’s called, pays so little that it makes no sense to play that game anymore.

However, since Chris142 said they don’t have AC, I would imagine most of his electric bill is mostly various fees plus the exorbitant rate, but his actual usage is likely minimal. Depending on the county he lives in, installing a bare minimum solar system may put him in a lower kWh rate and knock off some fees.

I know that was the case where I live in CA. A solar system would lock you in a fixed kWh rate instead of the variable one.

That ship has pretty much sailed for Californians. The new rate system, I forget what it’s called, pays so little that it makes no sense to play that game anymore.

However, since Chris142 said they don’t have AC, I would imagine most of his electric bill is mostly various fees plus the exorbitant rate, but his actual usage is likely minimal. Depending on the county he lives in, installing a bare minimum solar system may put him in a lower kWh rate and knock off some fees.

I know that was the case where I live in CA. A solar system would lock you in a fixed kWh rate instead of the variable one.
Lights are LED. We do run evaporative coolers that use water from the well but not a lot, Stove is gas etc. Ya its mosly hook up fees ànd what not

we looked into solar and the cost was about the same as my currant bill

Why are pork chops still $1.99/lb at Shop Rite, and how many items are priced like that….

Imagine we don’t want them. They’re too dry. So it appears to be over supply.

There are plenty of countries in this world that would stock up at that price. It’s been like that 4 years or longer:

Lights are LED. We do run evaporative coolers that use water from the well but not a lot, Stove is gas etc. Ya its mosly hook up fees ànd what not
Sounds like supplementary solar is not a good fit, because of the fixed costs your utility charges.

What would be the cost of going right off the grid?

Yeah, NEM 2 was replaced with NEM 3 (now called NBT), eliminating the sweetheart deal for ratepayers and replacing it with a price that aligns more closely with wholesale, of around $0.04/kWh. This was to encourage the purchase of batteries, since Cali now has a prodigious duck curve due to this solar subsidy madness.

Screen Shot 2024-06-04 at 2.03.35 PM.jpg

Back