Infared Heaters...such as the EdenPure

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend asked me what I thought of the infared heaters that are available for a source of zoned heat in residential homes. I understand that they heat by infared radiation(IR) and that around 49% of the Earth's warmth is IR from the sun, but I wasn't sure about it. I realize that smallest of light transmission is a form of radiation but these "untested, unknown"appliances are transmitting radiation around my family and I and I'm not sure about it. I can see the benefits of IR heating over conventional thermal air heating, especially in large areas such as warehouses where they have been employed for years, but I just still don't know. How much is too much? What brought it up is that Sam's Club has a brand that promises heat for up to 1,000 sq feet for $139.00. Any thoughts?

IR heating does not heat the air much. Instead it heats the object that it hits. So as it hits your skin, it has a warming effect that feels warmer than if the air had been heated with a similar amount of energy.

IR radiation is very safe.

Last edited:
Edenpure is a scam company that uses marketing against naive consumers.

If your home has a nat gas in it, then electric heat is the most inefficient way to go.

Those two things being said, there's nothing wrong IMO with certain limited IR space heating apps such as under the desk IR foot warmer panels.

http://www.amazon.com/Indus-Tool-CL-Flat-Panel-150-Watt-Radiant/dp/B0009HMFPM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GG8...VY9394ACXHMCRJK

Some IR heat has supposed theraputic benefits. hence ir saunas, for instance.

Usually the best way to save energy is through insulation. Find old uninsulated exterior walls and use blow in cellulose insulation (home dep and lows rents the blower machines, you just need the 2 an 3 in drill bits).

My folks have a small one they use when sitting on the couch. It works quite well for heating a small area. It's not meant for large area heating.

My little Vornado electric resistance heater does a great job heating 150 or so square feet of bedroom during the spring/fall when it's chilly at night, but cranking up the central heat is overkill.

I wouldn't worry about the radiation. The dangerous forms of radiation - UV, X-ray, gamma ray - are on the opposite side of visible light in the electromagnetic spectrum. The deciding factor should be whether it is as comfortable and efficient as other forms of heat for your application.

I have natural gas radiant heat in the garage. It's very simple and efficient in that application, and since it warms the objects rather than the air you never get condensation on tools and things when turning on the heat on a cold day.

Anyone try the Sears units with the wood cabinets?

I must say we us a Vornado in the spacious master bath at the Pablo Amsoilweasel's abode and it works great. Perfect for the brisk really early AM shower and shave in comfort, 15-20 minutes. Daughter took a bath in there and left it on for half a day....cripes the entire 1/2 the upper floor was toasty.

Anyway topic at hand:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Appliances_Air+Conditioners%2C+Fans+%26+Heaters_Indoor+Heaters

Any of these woodies any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back