Indianapolis to New Jersey.....sights this time of year?

Driving Indy to New Jersey; 750 miles.
Is there anything along the I-70 and I-80 latitudes that's notable?
Along that general swathe of the country, I have only been to Pittsburgh.
We saw the Warhol Museum.....and I "Fear the Cat" to this day (school mascot).

I'm thinking car/train/plane museums or any industrial sites with history.
Fortunately for me I like driving and enjoy the countryside views.
Just wondering if there's anything in eastern Indiana, central Ohio or western Pennsylvania.

I'd rather not go pedal-to-the-metal and zoom home.
TIA

From Indy I'd guess you'd take I-70 eastbound into OH.
The National Museum of the US Air Force would be right on your way. Think of at least one of everything going back to the interwar period. Absolutely worth a stop.

I'm into historical cemeteries. They went nuts over assassinated Presidents.

McKinley tomb, Canton Ohio
Garfield tomb, Cleveland Ohio

not assassinated, but died in office

Warren G Harding gravesite, Marion Ohio

railroad fans

Horseshoe Curve, Altoona Pennsylvania

history/Civil War

Gettysburg Pennsylvania

disaster site

Three Mile Island, Middletown Pennsylvania

++ National Museum of the US Air Force(free) in dayton is the 8th wonder of the world. (yes I'm a huge fan)
about 30m south of 70 IIRC. its aprox 1hr sw from columbus ohio.

Also Jungle Jim's international market is worth a stop.. if you are in the area. Its not on the same level at all though. :ROFLMAO:

There is also the British Transportation Museum in Dayton, not too far south of 70, with an interesting and eclectic collection of Brit iron of varied vintages including some nice pre-war stuff.

I did that once a long time ago when I was at home on leave from a ship out of Cape May, NJ. Left from Chicago so maybe tack on a few miles. Don't remember seeing much, was mostly concerned with not getting run over by 18 wheelers. Going through Philly was dicey.

Riding something just like this;

1711227526555.jpg

Autoevolution

There’s a decent difference between going I-70, and 76/80/90, including when you get to the PA line.

I think the dunklosteus exhibit is back on at the Cleveland museum. Ive wanted to see it as armored ancient fish are interesting.

The town where Thomas Edison was born is nice.

Pittsburgh is a good city to visit

Gettysburg is a good tour if you have time

Etc…

Destination.....Hackensack....on the west bank of the Hackensack River....
Passaic River falls, Paterson NJ. There is also an old locomotive factory. I think its still open.

Thomas Edison's labs in West Orange NJ

And for an interesting NJ experience drive, the Pulaski Skyway between Newark and Jersey City.

Oh...don't get me started.
Colt's first firearms company was in Paterson. Old fashioned stuff...before the familiar SAA (six gun)
You can see where Alexander Hamilton and friends built a zig-zag sluiceway to bring the river to more factories. Pratt and Whitney had a plant there too. Cool, small engine display.
While the Pulaski Skyway (featured at the top of The Karate Kid) is a cool, old metal thing, a cruise along the Palisades Interstate Parkway can be gorgeous. Henry Hudson Drive along the cliffs is way cool. Bring a picnic lunch or select from the immediate towns for chow.

edit: I should be clear. I live in No. NJ. I'm seriously considering flying to Indy to buy a car.
A 2104 Volvo XC70 with the features I want at a price I can afford is calling me.

Last edited:
Destination.....Hackensack....on the west bank of the Hackensack River....

Be sure to get some White Manna, but more importantly… B&W coffee cakes.

There’s a neat old Sears downtown. My father used to get tires there.

Edit: I see you will know those places and more ;)

White Manna....if you can ever get into the place! It's small.
B&W Bakery, "Home of the Heavy Crumb Cake". People worship that cake. Even before my diet, it was too much.
The Sears, with its gorgeous, blue recessed lettering, is, alas, closed. I've heard no rumors of what's going in there. There was the "Outdoor Living" building going north on Main St.. That simple building was raised to build a new Lidl store.
Continuing north stands Sears ~16 bay Auto Care building; also vacant.

ps The B&W Bakery sets adjacent to a Target store. That site played host to great businesses housed in and added to an old trolley barn.
It was called Packard Bambergers which itself evolved into a great food store.

It had been many shop keepers' stalls under one roof. You walked with a basket which you hung on available hooks to rest your arm. Mr. Packard commissioned a fellow who made baby carriages to build high, wheeled frames for the customers' baskets. Thus the shopping cart was "invented there". Not everybody knows this.

The P-B building had a singular liquor store -Mr P would go buy wines in Europe. His photo gallery of vineyards rivaled any you've ever seen. There was a barber shop and a travel agency. The best however was a wallpaper factory and basic (meaning useful) paint supply store.
It's where I found my one-and-only roll of "Cover Age"....a textured paper product for fixing damaged walls. After reading about Cover Age in Popular Science, it was cool to find some. So often a product feature is never seen.
Ha-ha....could've used Shark Tank.

Last edited:
Back