Indian Red Peaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a half bushel of Indian red peaches thinking they would be like the other peaches. I discovered they are crunchy like an apple. The peach orchid I go to you can pick them or buy them already picked. Do any of you guys have a recipe for that kind of peaches? This orchard has 99 rows of trees and there is 17 different varieties. I have been trying different varieties each time I go.

Thank you in advance.

Helen

What`s the softest,sweetest peaches? So far out of all I`ve tried,it`s Texas peaches. They`re soooooooooooo good!!!!!! Unfortunately the Texas peach crop season is very short.

We made Peach Butter last weekend. We used Crest Haven peaches, since they are cooked, I'm not sure it would matter the type.

9 lbs of peaches, peeled and sliced
2 lbs of sugar
4 tsp of cinnamon
1 Gal of apple cider*
We used a Ninja cooking system, so we could go from boiling to putting it on slow cook for several hours, otherwise if you use a pot on the stove you'd need to stir constantly. A regular crock pot (on High) could be used, but would take a bit longer.

Boil the cider down until you have 50% left
* an alternative is to use apple juice concentrate, just don't add as much water
Add peaches and boil until soft (~15 to 20 mins, but may be longer for harder peaches)
Turn down to a simmer (or use slow cook settings on crock pot)
After a few hours you'll want to use a hand blender to smooth out the butter. Unlike apples that completely break down, peaches will need to be blended.
Once it is smooth, check the consistency to determine if it needs more cook time to reduce the water content. Remember it will thicken a bit when it cools, just like oil. (I knew I could get an oil reference in here)
Take it off the heat or turn off the crock pot and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. We learned last year not to put the sugar in earlier in the process as the butter got gummy since the sugar was cooked for a long time.

We let it cool for a few hours and then put it in bags and use a vacuum sealer, then throw the bags in the freezer.
It should make about three quarts or so (we never really measured it out to be sure).

Here in Florida, we used to have what we called an "Indian" peach. When mature, they were small and hard and crunchy and somewhat tart. The flesh, as I recall, was a mixed yellow/red. Are your preaches like these? It's been years since I've seen any of ours as no one raises them in these parts anymore.

Perhaps this adaptation of a crunchy pear recipe would work: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sugar-Free-Apple_-Pear-or-Asian-Pear-Pie-Food_com-100379?columns=3&position=1%2F39

I've never had them, but of course my first instinct is to try them in a wine (smile).

I like the idea of a peach butter or jam/jelly.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What`s the softest,sweetest peaches? So far out of all I`ve tried,it`s Texas peaches. They`re soooooooooooo good!!!!!! Unfortunately the Texas peach crop season is very short.

I agree, and not because I live here. I have purchased them at Central Market in Plano when in season. They are not always good, though. But, when they are good, they are VERY good. You can almost always tell by sniffing. Good ones have a wonderful aroma that you can smell right through the skin.

GreeCGuy the peaches are exactly like you described. I thought they would be like other peaches I have had. I bought them already picked because it had rained the night before and the temp. was in the high 90's.

My favorite peaches are the Redhaven. They are large with a thin skin and freestone. The owner of the orchard tells you to taste the peaches when you are out picking them to make sure you like that variety. My friend and I were there in July when the Redhavens were ready to pick and the smell was wonderful. We "tried" several and they were so juicy that our tops had a lot of peach juice on them. I told her how much my kids like to use a some peaches, ice cream and a little milk and blend it for a peach milk shake. and she went home and made some for her granddaughter and herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back