Increased oil capacity = lower pil temps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I see lower oil temps if I increase my oil capacity by 2qts with a new larger oil pan? Specifically when towing a travel trailer for long periods during the summer. IThe see high oil temps when climbing grades but if I take it easy the temps drop after I've climbed the grade and hit level ground or start assending the other side.

The pan in question is an AFE aluminum pan with exterior fins (smooth interior) and increases the total oil capacity to 12qts. The OEM pan is a smooth aluminum pan and the total oil capacity is 10.5qts.

The tow vehicle is a 2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel.

Screenshot_20190322-070551.jpg

It will also take longer to warm up. Perhaps in your climate this is not a problem but ideally a thermostatically controlled oil cooler would be the best option.

I think an oil cooler would be the best solution to cool the oil.

I think the fins would me marginal. The extra 2 QTs will not help to cool the oil. Longer to heat up, but once heated up, then its irrelevant for cooling the oil.

The reason I was considering it is that AFE had one from their Ebay warehouse on sale for $100 opposed to the $250 full price (which I would never consider).

I wasn't so concerned that I'd want to install an oil cooler. If I wasn't avle to keep temps under cpntrol I'd get a bigger truck or smaller travel trailer.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
The reason I was considering it is that AFE had one from their Ebay warehouse on sale for $100 opposed to the $250 full price (which I would never consider).

I wasn't so concerned that I'd want to install an oil cooler. If I wasn't avle to keep temps under cpntrol I'd get a bigger truck or smaller travel trailer.

I'd give it a try for $100 dollars. I do not think it will hurt anything and feel it would help.

What temps are you seeing? Id go for it, the extra capacity cant hurt especially if the temps are getting a little too high. I probably wouldnt if you werent towing or hauling, but you could benefit from the extra capacity. Labor is in the 5-6 hour range, depending on options, so Im assuming subframe gets lowered, so an alignment is probably necessary.

What are your oil temps now while towing? Is this just a solution in search of a problem?

More oil capacity helps. Your RAM diesel should have a thermostat controlled oil and trans cooler already. My 2018 RAM 1500 3.6/8speed auto has them.

You are not increasing the surface area by much....however, increased heat transfer to the environment.

The oil cycle time is increased, meaning that there's longer residence time between trips....increased ability to transfer heat between trips to the engine...however if it DOES reduce oil temperatures, that's a reduced rate of heat transfer.

Convective heat flow works with relation to velocity of the oil across the metal...reduced heat transfer.

SOOOOO....I think it's likely a wash

I'm not aware of how your truck is designed but most new diesel pickups have an oil cooler intergrated into the cooling circuit along with it being thermostatically controlled. Before one started to throw money at something it would be wise to do your research as engineers are paid to design these systems to work within a wide parameter of operating conditions. Your attempt to add cooling may be nullified if there is already a thermostat within the system.

1) small changes in volume don't make for big differences in temps
2) any change for the positive can also be a negative in the opposite season (takes longer to warm up)
3) unless your truck is maxed out at the cooling conditions, it's likely you'd never see this "benefit" because the t-stat controlled cooling system is managing the oil temps more so than a finned Al pan will ever achieve
4) thermal transfer basics escape most people ...
5) what are your current temps? Are you confident that you're in a condition that "needs" a cooling boost? (probs not; you're just sucked into marketing hype ....)

You should probably stack the deck in your favor ....
- add the larger pan
- run syn lube; everyone knows they always run cooler
- use a larger oil filter; if some capacity gain is good, then more must always be better, right? (it's the Amurikan way!)
- add a remote oil filter system; get more oil capacity on top of the already larger oil filter!
- remove the grill; too much drag from the chrome-laden obstruction restricting airflow
- add water/meth injection; you can never be "too cool" for ol' skool

How hot has the oil been getting?
How many rpm's is the engine turning when you're climbing hills?

Increased residence time of the oil in the pan would be a positive, allowing it more time for de-aeration before the pump sends it back to the pressurized gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back