incorrect gear ratio for 95 infiniti

Status
Not open for further replies.
My co-worker has a code for "incorrect gear ratio" for his 95 infiniti G20. He took it in to various transmission shops and they were unable get rid of the problem. Every time they clear the code, it comes back after a few days. Anyone have any ideas?

I think this code means that there is a discrepancy between the input shaft sensor speed and the output shaft sensor speed with regards to the gear ratio that the computer has commanded.

If a transmission developed a fault so that when the computer has commanded 1st gear the transmission is actually in 2nd, it would cause this problem. The computer measures the input and output speeds to determine what gear the transmission is in.

A sticking shift solenoid would be my guess as to the cause of the problem.

I'd look for something slipping inside the trans, and or a torque convertor clutch solenoid that isn't locking up.

Bigger wheel diameters shouldn't matter as long as they're all the same size... and different diameters would throw ABS codes.

Just erasing the code is not going to make it go away.

I second the idea that the transmission is probably slipping. Have your friend take it to a competent trans shop or dealership.

Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I talk to my co-worker and he told me the full story. Turns out he was involved in an accident before. Apparently the outcome was that the second gear would not engage (it would just freely spin). The code started popping up at this time. His transmission shop replace the second gear and clear the code, but for some reason the code kept on coming back and the shop was unable to find the cause. He told me that daily driving seems to be fine and there is no apparent problem except for the code. This is only a problem because he cannot test for smog if there is a CEL in Cali. Is it possible for the tranny to be slipping and for him not to feel it? Thanks for all your help.

An accident caused 2nd gear to fail in the transmission ?!?! What's up with that !!.
This is sounding fishy. You would have to wreck a lot of car to get to 2nd gear.
I'm not going to waste too much time trying to figure this one out. Quote "He took it in to various transmission shops and they were unable get rid of the problem." Try taking it to 1 GOOD SHOP.
P.B.

If the tranny was replaced and the gear ratios or final drive ratios aren't what the PCM was programmed for this will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back