Inconsistent recommendation from AMSOIL - CAN-AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Before I start, I'll note I've already reached out to AMSOIL about this and am waiting to hear back.

So, both my buddy and myself have CAN-AM Outlander Max XT's, he has an 850, I have the 1000R. He's got way more mileage on his than I do on mine and thus he's already serviced the diffs and the gearbox. If we look at the BRP manual, it shows 75w-90 GL-5 for the front diff and 75w-140 GL-5 for the gearbox and rear diff:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thusly, I ordered him in the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 and 75w-140. Since then, he's noticed chatter from the front diff.

If you use the Automated AMSOIL lube tool it shows a single lube for all three applications: Synthetic ATV/UTV Transmission & Differential Fluid

Which seems to run contrary to the BRP requirements of two separate lubes. If we look at the technical properties of this product:
[Linked Image]

With a 100C visc of 15.6cSt, that puts it as a lighter 75w-90, a far cry from a 75w-140, like the Severe Gear, which BRP specs for the gearbox and rear diff:
[Linked Image]

So I'd say something is "off" here. I'm guessing the chatter may be from a lack of friction modifier, or sufficient quantities of it, but I'm more concerned about a recommendation that clearly calls for a much thinner oil than the OEM indicates.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
So I'd say something is "off" here. I'm guessing the chatter may be from a lack of friction modifier, or sufficient quantities of it, but I'm more concerned about a recommendation that clearly calls for a much thinner oil than the OEM indicates.

You need this additive if their gear lube causes chatter on clutch type LSDs - https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock/

Originally Posted by SureshR
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You need this additive if their gear lube causes chatter on clutch type LSDs - https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock/

I don't believe these are a clutch-type LSD, the noise is just similar. Also, BRP doesn't call for an additive, as you can see in the above screenshot from the manual
21.gif

What was in it prior to the change? Was it the factory fill, or was the factory fill already changed out at least once?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
What was in it prior to the change? Was it the factory fill, or was the factory fill already changed out at least once?

Factory fill is what came out.

75w-90 Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS worked perfectly in the front diff of my Canam 650 Max XT for 5,000 + miles.

Originally Posted by totegoat
75w-90 Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS worked perfectly in the front diff of my Canam 650 Max XT for 5,000 + miles.

Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back