In The Market For Hearing Aids

Yep, gonna get me some hearing aids. My family is overjoyed. And that is putting it mildly.

Looking for any advice as these things are very expensive.

Costco hearing aids are very good. They have 3 or 4 different sets/prices to pick from. I had a set of their Phonak Brio aids that lasted about 5 years. Costco also has the best prices on hearing aid batteries. They do a decent test first to check your level of hearing loss then they can tune the new hearing aids with their computer to give you the best sound possible. They also do free adjustments when you need them, and nowadays depending on the model you buy they can even remote in via blue tooth to make any changes. You don't even need to go to the store for it.

Costco has a very good hearing aid department. It is also worth a look at Lively hearing aids. When I needed a new set I found Lively to be about half the price of Kirkland/Phonak. With Lively you have to go online at www.listenlively.com and do an online hearing test, then one of their audiologists will call you and go over the options with you to get the best results. They have 3 models, all cost a lot less than Costco or at other hearing aid centers/audiologists. After the tests and consultation they will program your hearing aids and ship them to you, then you have a follow up appointment by phone and bluetooth to be sure everything is working correctly. I got my new hearing aids in April this year, I got the best ones they have, price was about $2,000.00. I could have just paid cash but I opted for their 18 months same as cash zero percent financing. This was absolutely some of the very best money I ever spent. They also have a 100 day money back no questions asked guarantee.

I have been very happy with my Lively aids. They also have a phone app you can use to make your own adjustments and set up different listening profiles for various listening environments. Once I found the right settings it has been set and forget. My Lively aids also do not need batteries. They will go about 3 days on a single charge, 10-12 hours a day. It makes a huge difference in my quality of life to be able to hear better. It also helps me in my job and my marriage too. I told my wife when I first got hearing aids I felt like an illiterate person who finally learned to read. She is really happy we can communicate better and she is not repeating herself all the time.

The main thing with hearing aids is keep them dry. I don't wear mine if I will be out in the rain or even very humid days. Moisture is the main enemy of hearing aids. One other thing I would suggest is stay away from the cheap "amplifiers" on Amazon. Before I went with Lively I tried a set of $100.00 hearing amplifiers from Amazon and they were total garbage. One did not work at all straight out of the box and the other one just squealed super loud in my ear, no matter what volume I set it on.

No matter where you buy, when they test your ears try the best you can to give the most accurate responses to the test tones you will hear. That is critical to setting up your hearing aids for the best performance. I have "profound" hearing loss and it took 3 tests with Lively to dial mine in correctly. One last thing is give yourself time to get used to hearing aids. The best way to do that is spend a few hours reading a book or magazine out loud to yourself. You will be able to hear other people better right away with hearing aids but it may surprise you how your own voice sounds different, stronger and clearer with hearing aids.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Costco is the way to go; excellent product and superb service. My mother has used their hearing aids for years and is very happy (as is the rest of the family, who no longer have to shout). Consider the investment one that benefits quality of life.

My wife got hearing aids 2 years ago. We both started off with an assessment by an audiologist who said that my wife would benefit from hearing aids but that I didn't need them yet. Four different brands (all recommended by Consumer Reports) were on offer but one in particular was suggested as her best option. That brand's hearing aids are available in a number of price levels ranging from pretty cheap to very expensive. More expensive levels have finer adjustment capabilities. We chose a model that had a bit more adjustment capability than she currently needed (future proofing it a bit) with rechargeable batteries, but essentially no bells and whistles. She was provided a pair of loaners that had been adjusted specifically for her for about a month to make sure it was a good choice and that she was going to use them.

Since she got her own aids she wears them all day every day (except in the shower or in bed). Her hearing using those new aids is better than mine. We were never pressured to buy anything nor did they try to push us into a more expensive model or to buy add-ons. I'd say it was a good purchase experience with a very good outcome.

We have friends who bought less expensive hearing aids and never wear them. I think there's a message there. Buy hearing aids when you need them and are ready to use them (not before) and buy ones that have been carefully selected and adjusted for you.

Costco bandwagon here, wife has had good luck with them. And I have to say my life changed once my wife installed hearing aids, no more repeating myself.

She uses the app on her phone so she can turn them up or down depending on her surroundings.

Yep, gonna get me some hearing aids. My family is overjoyed. And that is putting it mildly.

Looking for any advice as these things are very expensive.

My wife just got hearing aids. We shopped around did extensive research. We went with https://www.listenlively.com/

Their story is great. We're very pleased with their product, support, and the cost was less than everyone else, including Costco. Do yourself a favor and check them out. We went with the replaceable batteries as they last 7-10 days where as the rechargeable units only last 1 day.

My daughter works for an audiologist. Their is a grant out there that can be applied for, to help offset the cost. I think one stipulation, you had to be working and paying taxes as a requirement.

My daughter works for an audiologist. Their is a grant out there that can be applied for, to help offset the cost. I think one stipulation, you had to be working and paying taxes as a requirement.
Thanks!

No one has mentioned that.

This thing is going to kick in soon: Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act of 2017.
"The effective date for the final rule is 60 days following publication in the Federal Register. Manufacturers of hearing aids sold prior to the effective date of the final rule will have 240 days after its publication to comply with the new or revised requirements. For hearing aids that have not been offered for sale prior to the effective date, compliance with the new or revised requirements must be achieved before marketing the device, including obtaining 510(k) clearance if applicable."

Mid-October. Devices for moderate hearing loss should become a lot cheaper. Reading the above paragraph I could see where mfgrs get a 240 day bump from mid-October. Toss of the coin whether a mfgr chases near-term profits or market share.

What other brands have you tried? My insurance doesn't cover hearing aids.
Neither my insurance when I worked or Medicare now that I'm retired covers hearing aids.

I have severe tinnitus. The Siemens "notched" ones I last tried were close to $5K and 100% out of pocket. Notched means they amplify all sounds except for the frequency of my tinnitus. I was hopeful, but they didn't help. Protect your hearing. Severe tinnitus is a life changer. I equate it to constant pain.

Scott

I can barely hear in one ear and the other is last check not that good and I need new hearing aids.

Costco bandwagon here, wife has had good luck with them. And I have to say my life changed once my wife installed hearing aids, no more repeating myself.

She uses the app on her phone so she can turn them up or down depending on her surroundings.
I detest carrying a cell phone, I am probably the only person on Earth that thinks that way. I do not want an app to do my life.

One thing worth mentioning, make sure you get the rechargeable ones. My wife knows several people that have hearing aids that take batteries and I guess it's a pain. One guy she works with said he has to put new batteries in every couple days and the goods ones ain't cheap.

Back