In a dilemma, sell my car or keep it

Maybe this is a decision that shouldn't be made by a bunch of strangers on the internet?

The proportions look odd in profile until you see what it does then it makes sense. Interesting car.
Just wanna hear different opinions, and I got many good ones, some to the practicality side, some to the "human" side.
Yeah I guess I dont really need the money now, and I can save up that amount in 3 years or less. Perhaps I can put my mind to saving up the amount offered maybe more, and running the small business to supplement my income. Whats the use of living if one has to give up on one's dreams ?

By the way, more in depth info on the car :

Yeah, tough call. You were poor, did good for yourself, rewarded your hard work with a special car, and now you have the chance to sell the car at a profit. Would depend on how much money we're talking about. Is the frugal psychology interfering with your thought process? My wife helps me fight that off. Lol. My mother never enjoyed her money. Lived frugally and never spent. Money in the bank is nice but tomorrow is not guaranteed. Enjoy the car.

Well, if you say you are "frugal", I will assume you spend and invest wisely and live within your means. If so, then the profit from the car is not a necessity and I would say keep it. As others have said, life is short with no guarantees. Enjoy your unique and fun vehicle. I saw a Soarer on the highway here, certainly distinctive.

I always enjoyed my visits to Kuala Lumpur, especially the food. Now the time I got lost in the neighborhoods of Johor Bahru at night while trying to get back to Singapore....not so much :D

Last edited:
What does your wife think about this?
she is surprised, says she don't want me doing something i will regret
Yeah, tough call. You were poor, did good for yourself, rewarded your hard work with a special car, and now you have the chance to sell the car at a profit. Would depend on how much money we're talking about. Is the frugal psychology interfering with your thought process? My wife helps me fight that off. Lol. My mother never enjoyed her money. Lived frugally and never spent. Money in the bank is nice but tomorrow is not guaranteed. Enjoy the car.
I get you, my mother was exactly like that, I guess that rubbed off on me, she always wanted to see the Egyptian pyramids, for several years ,we (my brother and me) offered to pay for the trip. She keeps citing money issues. Sadly she got sick quickly in 2013 with acute myeloid leukemia, and within 2 months, she was gone. Just 6 months before, I had to practically force her to come along to a trip(not Egypt) with my family. I am glad she relented and came along.
Well, if you say you are "frugal", I will assume you spend and invest wisely and live within your means. If so, then the profit from the car is not a necessity and I would say keep it. As others have said, life is short with no guarantees. Enjoy your unique and fun vehicle. I saw a Soarer on the highway here, certainly distinctive.

I always enjoyed my visits to Kuala Lumpur, especially the food. Now the time I got lost in the neighborhoods of Johor Bahru at night while trying to get back to Singapore....not so much :D
I guess being lost in Johor Bahru isnt that bad, almost everyone here speaks english. When this covi-crap is over and if you do come over to Malaysia do look me up.

Since classic car values are so fickle timing the market can folly. Case in point the 77 in my sig which we purchased new is on a high right now but is not for sale even tho it`s worth 3 times what we paid for it. The best we can hope for is keeping up with inflation unless the vehicle is truly classic which is a different consideration.

I would sell it. Not really a car guy but retro computer stuff guy. It is cool to keep fun toys but it won't be easy to keep a car like that around forever. Since you can use the money to run a business you can always find another fun car to buy in the future.

The way regrets work for me is, no matter what I choose, I will regret down the road, either I should have sold it when the price was good or I should not have sold it because I liked it.

Cars come and cars go.. The memory is always better than the actual possession of the car itself. Back in 1971 I was 18 years old a bought a Dodge Challenger. 4 speed Hurst shifter 340 engine cam, intake, headers mags ,the car would hit redline in top gear . In my memory it was a cool car which to me still is.. Last year I got a ride in a 2017 Dodge Challenger with the Hellcat engine ,now that is a really cool car.

Last edited:
I'd sell it. Find the guy who wants to buy it and get 20% more out of him. If he'll pay 5000 smackaroos he'll pay 6000.

I find fun in bringing home projects, planning their fixing, and actually executing. Same as vacations. Once a car is "perfect" I get bored of it and move on.

And as said above, cars come and go.

Of course, I'm not you, so you decide what's right for you. As you get richer though you'll find that "Money finds money" and the nicer stuff you collect will have a stable if not appreciating value.

If I were tight on money or going to be tight at retirement I'd sell it, provided IF I needed to replace it, I would not lose any financial advantage on that end.

We all love our favorite vehicles but as we get older we realize they aren't all that important.

I'm 47 and am financially ok. But my retirement is nill so I'm aggressively saving. I drive an '02 Taurus. I've always had either fast cars or tall trucks. I was buying $34k vehicles back in the early 2000's. But at this point with little retirement and two kids my vehicle preferences are of no importance.

You’ll have plenty of energy at 55-60. You have to wait about 20 years past that.

Well here we are 10 days on, wonder what happened.

FWIW, assuming you still like the car, that you are able to support your family, meet your obligations and save money for retirement (which it sounds like you are) I would keep the car.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with a little nostalgia or with becoming attached to an object, when it isn't detrimental to your well being. Live a little...

I just wanted to say that I read your post and am in no way in any position to give someone like you advice on how best to deal with finances. Next level bro, next level. Whatever you do, enjoy life as much as possible! That's my advice.

Like everybody else I must plead the ?th. It's impossible to know what will benefit you more.

SOUNDS LIKE it's ripe time to sell. As good as the car may be, you're not keeping it on a satin pillow. If it's not on said pillow already AND money's on your mind I'd say send your beautiful car to greener pastures.

Sure you like it but it's just another car. That "jewel in a jewel box" level of presentation is what you need to make it a true liquid asset.

I am 44 years old now. All my life I have been thrift as I am not from a well off family and I struggled financially. However I do love cars, and I always wanted a 2 door 1980s rwd car. From the time I started working, which was at 21 years old, I drove my dads car and kept driving it for 20 years , from 1997 till 2017.
My dads car was a cheap 4 door econobox or ****box as some people would say, nothing special.
Back in 2012 I switched jobs and finally had better pay, so in 2015 I started searching for my retro JDM car. The plan is to get a good condition one so there will be minimal work involved, especially concerning body rust. Indeed I found a recently imported 1989 Toyota Soarer. I thought out of a plan to keep it in great shape till I retire , then sell it at that time, which should be when I am 55 to 60 years old. I dont think I will have the energy to maintain it when I retire, and I certainly dont want my kids to deal with disposing it if I should pass on not long after I retire.
I can keep it in good shape as its not a daily and I can keep it out of the rain and sunlight for most of the year, yes its a weekend car.
I have owned the car for 3 years now, and several days ago while it was parked in a mall, some one took photos of it on facebook, and it generated a lot of interest. My friend alerted me to this post and I had a look.
As usual some people asked is it for sale.
I opened my big mouth and one guy made me a very good offer on it. I feel that I am unlikely to get such an offer in the future, if I go ahead with my ownership as per my initial plan, When it comes time to selling it at the time, it is unlikely for me to get such a price, as I think only this guy is willing to pay this much for it now, because in my country, to import a classic car it must be 35 years old, and I got it before the rules were changed from 25 years old to 35 years old.
So the conundrum is, I sell the car soon, gain a handsome profit which I could add to my retirement fund, or keep it and enjoy the experience while I still am living. While I do enjoy the car a lot, I also treasure my financial independence. I plan to run small CNC business on the side soon, and together with my retirement fund it should help to keep me and my wife afloat in our golden years.
If you are a car guy in my situation, what would you do?
If its a RHD car I'd sell it.

If it is LHD I could go either way....

If its a RHD car I'd sell it.

If it is LHD I could go either way....
Well the whole country of Malaysia inherited the British road system, so we are all RHD.
I just wanted to say that I read your post and am in no way in any position to give someone like you advice on how best to deal with finances. Next level bro, next level. Whatever you do, enjoy life as much as possible! That's my advice.
Enjoy life to me is keeping the car. Thanks.

Back