Improving The Chances Of Not Being Rear Ended

It’s pretty small,they,Federal Signal and Whelen all make a small warning light. The thing is the built in flashers flash continuosly

F514DB7E-47DA-4B49-B8BB-1C72831944F5.jpeg

I used to do that. Now I ride up between the lines of stopped cars to the head of the line. It is legal to do so in my State.

Then I continue to monitor my mirrors, keep the bike in 1st gear ready to move if there's a pileup behind me. I'm also watching cross-traffic in case I need to get out of the way.

If I'm the first vehicle to stop, I watch my mirrors and cross-traffic more intently, with the bike in 1st gear and ready to take off if the cars behind are not stopping.

To your point of tapping the rear brake or front lever to flash the taillight to wake up those following, I do that too. I'm not sure why it might be considered difficult to do by some...
Colorado has new lane filtering laws coming on line soon. They are a bit odd from how I've read them. Seems like you can filter forward under the right circumstances in the lane the cars are stopped in such as two lanes going the same direction, but not split the lanes between two lines of stopped cars. Colorado already allows going on an improved shoulder to the right to pass a stopped lane of cars and when the line starts moving filter back into line. Need more clarity on the new law.

Definitely watch the mirrors at a stop and and be ready to move in gear. Motorcycle safety 101. As is using your brake to alert others you are going to be stopping. I am not aware of a MSF course or similar that would say use a modulator with respect to alerting others around you and making presence and intentions known. I know they won't take a position on illegal headlight modulators.

Back