Improving The Chances Of Not Being Rear Ended

Flashing LED brake light is on my RK for years now. 3 flashes then on fully. If in doubt on who's coming up from behind off and on the brake again to repeat sequence.
Flashing red lights on the front of a vehicle are the illegal ones.

I get the rear lighting, I always added to make the back brighter but also should not ignore front. I dont know the statistics but wow, I see a lot of motorcycle accidents and it seems most all are cars that turn into the path of the motorcycle from a side street. Really bad stuff when that happens so I always made sure or robust lighting upfront.

I have even caught myself when I am in my truck on the interstate ready to move into another lane when I realize a bike it right up near the side of my truck. Some bikes are REALLY hard to see from the front and honestly some of this new LED lighting is so directional down on the road that it is not very bright when viewing higher up in an SUV.
Personally the new LED even in expensive Harley touring bikes dont look like much when viewed from an SUV. I prefer my halogen.

The photos posted below are not as bright as it is in real life. The front on my bike are really bright yellow driving lights to each side of the main headlight, then Custom Dynamics marker/turn lights too.

The back LEDS are very bright and because when I added the saddle bag running/stop lights they are Harley branded lights they are DOT approved. I dont use a flasher on them, just a personal choice, however in more abrupt stops if I feel the need I pump the brake for cars behind me.

The lights are much brighter than photo present. You really cant stare at the front of the bike and look at the lights directly and the back red lights, when you hit the brakes as an example, it will really light up the street behind you at night which gives an idea of how bright.
Ive always been big on lighting, even my metrics when I had them. We routinely ride interstates which I actually feel is safer doing 85 MPH on an interstate then 45 mph on a secondary road.

IMG_8646.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8648.JPG

I would add, keep some space in front of you and an eye on your mirrors, so you have a chance to get out of the way.
Yes. Good advice.

I always have one eye in the rearview and a car length ahead.

About 30 years ago I was stopped in traffic on a 50mph state highway in North Andover, Mass. as a car was attempting to turn right into a Pub/restaurant parking lot but some other moron stopped at the lot entrance to chat with a patron - blocking the way in.
Behind me, I was just over a hill rise and not visible. Old Saab 99 stopped in front of me. I knew good stuff was not going to happen. Beeped horn once to try to alert the idiot in the parking lot.
Then here comes a car over the hill cranking at over 50mph, To my right was a low curb and some shrubs.
Well, it was hit the gas and exit stage right! The oncoming car creamed the Saab in the back, squishing the plastic bumper dropping the tail pipe and shattering the rear hatch.
I was sitting on top of a yew or juniper and the thing was smoking, so I preceded into the parking lot the hard way. The three smashed cars ended up in the pub lot. I said to the shaken Saab driver, "sorry man but I wasn't going to take that hit! I will be inside if you or the cops want to speak to me." I need a cold BASS Ale or three, a Burger and some chili!

I've used these taillights for years. I can tell you cars back off when they see them. Adjustable to many patterns and flashes, you cannot duplicate this with just flashing your brake lever. If you think you can you are fooling yourself or are way overestimating your skill level.

Those taillights, along with a headlight modulator will go a LONG way to keep you safe and are worth every penny.

Stop and or drive off center from the vehicle in front of you.
I always stop to the far left or far right of the car in front of me at lights. That way you can escape around the sides if you see some maniac bearing down fast on you from behind. And always monitor the rear view mirrors when stopped, the danger is then behind, not in front of you.

I've used these taillights for years. I can tell you cars back off when they see them. Adjustable to many patterns and flashes, you cannot duplicate this with just flashing your brake lever. If you think you can you are fooling yourself or are way overestimating your skill level.
Easy enough (doesn't require some high level expert riding skills) to make your tail light flash however you want it to by hitting the front brake lever just enough to light the tail light.

Tap a front or rear brake before you would actually start braking for the stop. Gives advance warning at a point in stopping that drivers behind home in on because it's not where they are in the zone expecting a brake light. I'm checking my mirrors and see the drivers eyes looking ahead or not, I am more planned/prepared for what I'm going to do for when they aren't.

Looks good for a tourer, is there a smaller version for other bikes that don't have the area to mount this example? DOT approved as well I gather?
Flashing brake lights are not DOT approved -
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sets federal regulations for vehicle lighting through FMVSS 108. This standard currently allows steady-burning brake lights only."

Im not taking a position on this, I actually think they are good on some motorcycles with limited rear lighting. Im just addressing your question.
I doubt very much a cop will stop you for it, unless he/she is looking for a reason to stop you that is.

Flashing LED brake light is on my RK for years now. 3 flashes then on fully. If in doubt on who's coming up from behind off and on the brake again to repeat sequence.
Flashing red lights on the front of a vehicle are the illegal ones.
Flashing lights anywhere are the illegal ones.
Flashing brake lights are not DOT approved -
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) sets federal regulations for vehicle lighting through FMVSS 108. This standard currently allows steady-burning brake lights only."

Im not taking a position on this, I actually think they are good on some motorcycles with limited rear lighting. Im just addressing your question.
I doubt very much a cop will stop you for it, unless he/she is looking for a reason to stop you that is.
Not taking a position either, cops aren't out to get folks around my neck of the woods and agree they probably won't care. With the loud exhaust crowd turning petrol resources into slow forward motion in most cases and lifted trucks blinding oncoming drivers with enough candlepower to light a stadium, the cops should work and stay busy with real nuisance control.

I always stop to the far left or far right of the car in front of me at lights. That way you can escape around the sides if you see some maniac bearing down fast on you from behind. And always monitor the rear view mirrors when stopped, the danger is then behind, not in front of you.

I used to do that. Now I ride up between the lines of stopped cars to the head of the line. It is legal to do so in my State.

Then I continue to monitor my mirrors, keep the bike in 1st gear ready to move if there's a pileup behind me. I'm also watching cross-traffic in case I need to get out of the way.

If I'm the first vehicle to stop, I watch my mirrors and cross-traffic more intently, with the bike in 1st gear and ready to take off if the cars behind are not stopping.

To your point of tapping the rear brake or front lever to flash the taillight to wake up those following, I do that too. I'm not sure why it might be considered difficult to do by some...

Back