Improving ride quality, 2006 Sentra

Hello folks,

Soon I will have to drive to work. I am considering using 2006 Sentra for commuting.

The problem is, the ride quality of the car is harsh (don't expect it to be like a luxury car). A couple of years ago, I started with lower back pain and every pothole on the road reminds me of it.

A few years ago, I replaced struts with Gabriel ready-mount (a big mistake), but the ride quality was bad even before that.

I currently have Bridgestone Advantage T/A installed (
I am curious if there is anything I can do to improve ride quality, other than changing suspension.

Thanks in advance.

You mean BF Goodrich Advantage T/A? Which usually have quite good bump/poor road absorption.
Anyway, your suspension bushings are most likely dried and have gotten hard and all the new shocks/struts will only make the ride firmer at this point. So you’re going to feel every bump in the road. Tires may help some but the key word is, some.

I think it is what it is. I used to sometimes carpool with a coworker with a 2017 Sentra when it was only 2 years old and like 30k miles. Harsh ride.

What tire pressure are you running? On most vehicle/tires, anything over 32 psi starts to get harsh. As Jeff posted, maybe go a couple of psi lower like 30 psi. Don't use the pressure written on the side of the tire. That's the max allowable pressure. Read the vehicle manufacturer's pressure recommendation off the door jam or owners manual. But don't be afraid to experiment by going a couple of psi lower/higher. All tires ride a little different.

Get an Airhawk. Helsp with a harsh ride on a motorcycle. Strap it on your Sentra. Keeps you from getting 'monkey butt'.

1648073428251.png

Last edited:
I think it is what it is. I used to sometimes carpool with a coworker with a 2017 Sentra when it was only 2 years old and like 30k miles. Harsh ride.
+1
At the end of the day, it's not designed to be comfy. It's sole purpose is to get you from point a to b as cheaply as possible.

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider a late 90s Crown vic/town car.
Sure your fuel economy will increase a bit, but you'll be much more comfortable.

Assuming you don't have the fancy model, try to find a fancy model in the wreckers and see if you like the seat. Or even find a low mileage version of your seat. Your next set of tires should be 185/65R15 size, a touch more sidewall and should transmit less road noise and crack slap with a narrower contact patch.
FWIW, I used to have back pain alot but starting doing core strength exercises and its pretty much a non-issue now with almost any car/plane seat.

How about a new set of Monroe quick struts for front & rear. I buy mine from Rock Auto & remember to use the 5% discount code you can find here on this forum under sales & rebates. Put them on the Acura, Baja and Taurus front and rear & significant ride difference from day one.

- As other have mentioned - more sidewall and slightly below recommended PSI. Going too big on tires may result in rubbing, going too low on tire pressure may result in abnormal tire wear and stability issues on the highway. Research on model specific forums.
- Another option is to sell it and try to buy a Toyota Avalon, really any generation, all are comfy, and they are the reliable Japanese Buick basically. Get respectable fuel mileage considering the size.
- And last option is air suspension, but that introduces it's own set of challenges and I don't think this car is worth those challenges...

Thank you, everyone. A lot of ideas. I will see what I can do.

I usually maintain the suggested tire pressure 33 and 30psi. It came with 195/55/16, but the original wheels were bent, so I replaced wheels and have 205/55/16.

Selling the car is not an option at the moment.

The injury is ~20 years old, rearing its head again. I am taking PT to address it.

Thank you, everyone. A lot of ideas. I will see what I can do.

I usually maintain the suggested tire pressure 33 and 30psi. It came with 195/55/16, but the original wheels were bent, so I replaced wheels and have 205/55/16.

Selling the car is not an option at the moment.

The injury is ~20 years old, rearing its head again. I am taking PT to address it.
A 65 aspect ratio tire would ride more softly. Dunno if it would fit your wheels. Discount Tire would know re fit.

I don't have any suggestions for the ride quality but I've had chronic back pain from a construction accident for over 22 years and spent about 20 of those years on prescription Fentanyl patches or Morphine. Just over 2 years ago I went to a physical therapist that gave me some aquatic exercises to do for my back and core strengthening. I usually spend 1-1.5 hours a day 5 days a week doing my routine in the pool and have now been off the narcotics for just over 3 months and my pain level isn't as bad as it was while on the drugs. Some days now I don't even need my muscle relaxers. I nearly died of dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea back in Dec. when I went cold turkey to get off of Morphine. When I got to the hospital on Christmas day I think my blood pressure was 63/40 and my kidneys were in stage 5 kidney failure and shutting down. Dr. said if I'd been a couple hours later coming to the hospital I'd have been dead. If my wife hadn't called a nurse friend of ours who talked me into going to the hospital I'd have laid here at home and died. I thought it was nothing but the withdrawals from the drugs and didn't think I was really all that sick. I spent 4 days in the hospital, 2 in ICU with them pumping fluids in me as fast as they could go. Last time I was at the Dr. which was late Jan. if I recall correctly the Dr. said my kidneys were functioning normally. I strongly advise pool therapy. It's much better than drugs. I had tried regular physical therapy for about a year 22 years ago and it only made the pain worse so I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome of pool therapy. One of my exercises that I think has made the biggest difference is doing about 15 minutes of jogging in place in the water. I can tell my stomach/core has tightened considerably since I added that to the routine the therapist gave me. Those drugs really have severe effects on a persons body. Even after 3 months off of them I'm still having to take medication 3 times a day to slow the effects of diarrhea and they say it could last up to six months. 'Glucosamine/Chondroitin also helps with my pain. I've probably been using it at least 15 years.

Last edited:
It came with 195/55/16, but the original wheels were bent, so I replaced wheels and have 205/55/16.

- equivalent to 195/55 R16 is 205/50 R16, commonly same LI87
- load index has bigger impact on ride than aspect ratio
- taller size (same wheel dia, bigger sidewall) uses to come with higher LI
- 205/55 R16 is available both in LI91 and LI94
- LI94 is noticeably stiffer compared to LI91
- popular believe isn't always true
- thanks

Take a bus. You will never get a nice ride with tires having an aspect ratio as the ones you have.

Take a bus. You will never get a nice ride with tires having an aspect ratio as the ones you have.
Only works in the cities. I’ll say this - even a “low-floor” Gillig or New Flyer rides better bad city roads than my Prius does.

Seriously though, there ain’t much you can do. Buy the “softest” tires you can - Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 or Hankook Optimo H727/Kinergy GTs are the OEM pick for Toyota and Hyundai/GM for a “lazy” feel on the Camry/Avalon/Lexus ES, Elantra/Sonata and Malibu. For shocks, I’d go KYB. Ask your PT if there’s anything non-medication for your pain as well.

Back