Help With Suspension Modifications For SOFTER Ride

IME even within the same tire size - tires can make a huge difference in how a car rides and drives. My advice would be to either select your next set of tires with reviews about ride quality paramount, or go to the smaller wheels and select tires with ride quality paramount. Beyond that the ride goes with the territory...

I had this issue back in the late 80's when I had an Rx7 turbo, which came with a suspension that was masochistic on its best day. It got to the point where I dreaded driving it, every bump or crack in the pavement was like getting smacked on the bottom and every panel and piece of trim creaked and rattled on anything but the smoothest roads. Why any car would need a suspension that stiff was beyond my comprehension. I had non-turbo versions before this one and they were nothing like that and they handled great. I ended up diving through the various local junkyards and found a wrecked non-turbo base model and grabbed all four struts.

At first I paired the base model shocks on the turbo springs and tried that out, but not only was it still too stiff but the base model shocks couldnt control the turbo model springs, so I got the horrifically firm ride coupled with too much float. Then I put the base model springs on the turbo shocks, and that was the ticket. It completely transformed the car into a firm and sporty, but very pleasant ride and I drove it like that for years until the engine died. Honestly if I hadnt found the base model springs in the junkyard I probably would have gotten rid of the car because it was just way too stiff for my tastes.

I would add, dont overlook the sway bars as well. I went to a smaller diameter bar and that made a very noticeable difference too, the handling and lean in corners didnt really change much, or not enough to justify the larger bar and the firmness it added, but it definitely helped the ride quality on bumpy roads.

So swapping out sway bars and springs and nothing else transformed a car that I thought would go down as one of my biggest regretful automotive purchases, into a car I couldnt wait to drive.

Find some 18s (which generally are cheaper and more abundant) and a tire with a soft sidewall like the General RT43. The only other option is to find some sort of softer springs.

The RT43 Softened the ride on my little sisters Pontiac Solistice by a large margin despite still being a 45 Series tire. As a plus they are pretty good in the snow.

Lincoln isn't necessarily the softest. The suspension on my mother's '18 MKX is definitely stiffer than the '15 Buick Enclave it replaced. Of course the shorter wheelbase doesn't help.

The base 300C 5.7L suspension used to be softer than the Charger. I would try test driving one of a similar vintage at a dealer. If it rides to your liking that will work.

A word of warning about those that recommend weak shocks for the best ride. I have not found that to be the case. They need to match the spring rates. My Konis on my Mustang set to the softest ride like absolute garbage. You have to stiffen them to match the springs to smooth out the ride.

Last edited:
Back