2004 Yukon Denali Air Ride Conversion

Just bought a new to me 2004 Yukon Denali XL. It’s a secondary vehicle that I have to tow my 5000lbs boat to the lake and back. Air ride suspension no longer working and I want to switch to coils and standard shocks. I’ve seen conversion kits priced anywhere from $500 to $600. Are they necessary or can I get away with ordering coils and shocks individually? I am not concerned with eliminating the error message on my dashboard, just want to get a functioning traditional suspension.

Does your rear jump up and down when you go over a bump as if the regular shocks are also blown? or is it just the air suspension itself. The rear air suspension which is only used to lift the rear up when towing also failed on my 05 xl Denali but i never used or cared about it and all 4 of the oem shocks are still good to this day.

Does your rear jump up and down when you go over a bump as if the regular shocks are also blown? or is it just the air suspension itself. The rear air suspension which is only used to lift the rear up when towing also failed on my 05 xl Denali but i never used or cared about it and all 4 of the oem shocks are still good to this day.
I honestly cannot answer that question. I don’t know how the SUV is suppose to ride or feel normally. When I bought the vehicle, I had an error message on the dash that said “Service Ride Control”. I have not troubleshot the issue more then and decided to just proceed with the air ride replacement. I agree that nothing beats a functioning air ride, but there are a lot of components in that system that can get expensive in a hurry. I’d rather just switch to a standard coil and shock setup.

I just changed all of this on my 05 Suburban 4x4. I tow a 5,00lb camper all over the place. It was really simple to replace the compressor and air shocks. I spent about $600 total and maybe 3 hours of my time. I don't feel there is much to it.

I honestly cannot answer that question. I don’t know how the SUV is suppose to ride or feel normally. When I bought the vehicle, I had an error message on the dash that said “Service Ride Control”. I have not troubleshot the issue more then and decided to just proceed with the air ride replacement. I agree that nothing beats a functioning air ride, but there are a lot of components in that system that can get expensive in a hurry. I’d rather just switch to a standard coil and shock setup.
It ain't gonna ride too differently compared to a car. If it rides fine then it's fine, If it don't feel right then it aint. If it's all jumpy then the shocks are gone but if you can't tell if it's bad then it's probably good.

Back