Impressed with the upcoming Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have a fit, now.
lol.gif

U.S. Honda customers would be better off with a stripped version of the Civic 5 door instead of this Jazz. But one would have to assume Honda International Marketing Dept has a plan for which current products it offers us and what it withholds. Like the perfect-for-me Accord (TSX) wagon turbo diesel (which gets even better MPG than the Fit, but would cost about twice). Maybe next year.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
33/38 (MT)
31/38 (AT)
31/37 (AT-Sport)

Not very good MPG for a smaller car than a Civic/Corolla.
thumbsdown.gif

And both of those cars BEAT it in MPG.

I'd pass.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Beat by 1-2 MPG?
Man, that really would make a HUGE difference in the real world.
confused.gif

In comparison the Corolla/Civic duo offer very little in terms of the interior flexibility and design efficiency, at the same time being the world's most boring (the Corolla) or weirdest bordering on ugly (the Civic).
dunno.gif

Civic
30/38 (MT)
30/40 (AT)

Corolla
32/41 (MT)
30/38 (AT)

[ April 10, 2006, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
U.S. Honda customers would be better off with a stripped version of the Civic 5 door instead of this Jazz.

Agreed.
But...
The American consumer still doesn't "understand" the Euro hatchbacks.
Or Honda thinks so, cause their research shows that the consumers in US still prefer by a huge margin the weirdo shaped US Civic sedan over the modern design of the Euro hatch

I really like Honda, but a car that's smaller than a Civic or Corolla, only 100 lbs lighter, has ~20 fewer horsepower, and gets WORSE gas mileage? What's the point?
dunno.gif

I just saw something on the Dodge caliber, which is supposed to get good gas mileage, it's rated at 23/26.
lol.gif
My 18 year old Lesabre beats that.

Does anything get good mileage any more?

that fuel economy isnt that good... but what really gets me is how the 'sport' version is only available in an auto trans... or so it seems from reading into the article only part way thus far.

Sorry, this isnt an F1 car... paddle shifting doesnt mean a thing when you have a car with these specs.

But it does look like a decent commuter car. Needs to get up to corolla (41 hwy) mileage range to be a winner.

JMH

Vad, while I like the new civic, I also agree with you that the hatchback civic they get in Europe is WAAAAYYY Cooler. Its a sharp looking car. I think Honda missed something with this new design for over here. People could just buy an Aveo or whatever that thing is. I think the Toyota Yaris will be the winner in this new small car segment. Honda seems to make somethings that are good in theory, but poor design. Take the element for example, its Very practical, yet I dont see them very often. Or the ridgeline, practical, but people buying in that segment probably want a truck that has a frame.

Add me to the list that like this new little Honda! I think this car is getting back to what Honda built back in the 1970's and 1980's - small econoboxes that handled well, and were still fun to drive. The recent incarnation of the Civic has gotten too big and smooth to have much in common with the 1970's Civic.

Couple of points:

1. Interior volume is 0.1 cubic feet less than a Civic.
2. The 5-speed auto on the Sport model has torque converter lock-up in every gear, nice engine braking down shifts if you have it in "manual" mode using the paddle shifters.
3. It is drive by wire, electric power steering and has Honda's maintenance minder system.
4. You can get manual tranny (5-speed) in the Sport model.
5. Difference in cost of gas between 38 mpg and 41 mpg over 100,000 miles averaging 20,000 miles per year is $2.22/week. It's geared to give a more sporty, responsive feel, much like Mazda does with its vehicles.
6. Comes standard with 6 air bags, ABS, A/C and power windows, doors etc.
7. Sport model comes with a 200 watt stereo.

I've an e-mail in now to my dealer to order one.

That Fit won a 7-car comparison in the latest Car and Driver in, as they put it, "a cake-walk". It sounds pretty good; nothing even came close in that comparison.

The competition included the Dodge Caliber, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio5, Nissan Versa, Suzuki Reno, and Toyota Yaris.

[ April 10, 2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

Yeah -- don't believe any auto manufacturer claim on wattage..

8. The FIT also has way more cargo space than Civic.

I wish Honda would offer this in the US (I caught this in Amsterdam a couple weeks ago):
 -

I don't know what the heck it is
confused.gif

Some kind of funky 4 door Civic?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back