Impressed with the upcoming Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
blokey thats the Civic Hatchback. I love the look of that thing! I would rather have that than the fit or that other minivan looking Civic Si hatch. It looks great in black with nice wheels. Check out the Honda UK site.

quote:

I can see a lot of people buying these cars instead of those hybrids...

I'm not so sure about that. The Prius is Camry class, not "Fit" class. As for straight economy oriented vehicles, the echo sold a whopping 5000 units in the last model year in the US. Dealers wouldn't even stock them. (rated 43MPG by the way, the winner in gas mileage for 2005 "normal gas" vehicles)

Hah, I easily get 33-34 mpg on the highway in my whale of a Saab 9-5 (3,470 lbs). I like the looks of the Fit but c'mon give us better mpg...

The Fit is a car I'd consider buying BUT ...

It's a bit tall and that gives it a weird shape, in my opinion.

Mileage should be better. My '95 Civic DX would get 45mpg with a fair amount of highway travel.

Why do these 'economy' cars get such unimpressive mileage? Are they too heavy? Is their engione designed for emissions or performance rather than fuel economy??

--- Bror Jace

On the Honda UK site, the Jazz (Fit) comes with either a:

1.2L i-DSI
76hp @ 5700rpm
51.4 combined mpg

or a

1.4L i-DSI
82 hp @ 5700rpm
48.7 combined mpg

(purdy sure when they say "combined" they mean city+highway/2 but maybe not)

MPG is a function of gearing. Sure, the gearing in fifth gear could be taller, but then the vehicle is less responsive. Who wants to downshift at 65 mph? Answer is, hardly anybody. The result is people will either buy a larger four cylinder or a six cylinder to get the drivability they prefer so mpg goes down anyway. So there is a compromise between mpg and driving responsiveness.

Mazda was the first to go with lower gear ratios to get that zoom-zoom feeling from a four cylinder. A good example was the Protege5.

Another advantage is increased 0-60 mph times. Just think, in the 150,000 miles one might own a vehicle, how many weeks are added to one's life by not spending that time in acceleration to 60 mph
smile.gif

More downshifting? I can['t afford not to] go a little slower.

OTOH, an economy car is supposed to be... economical. I was a little surprised they didn't put one of the smaller engines in it. That would make more sense to me.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Is that RMS watts or "Max watts"?

That 200W would be the standard ILS rating (If Lightning Strikes).

Well, a base Fit comes with 160 watt ILS radio. I'm buying a Fit for a son to drive. My first set of wheels was a used 1963 VW and it had ZERO ILS mono. BTW, that 1963 VW cost about the same as a new base Fit in inflation adjusted dollars.

Inflation Adjusted Dollar Calculator

BTW, an ounce of gold was $32 and a barrel of Saudi oil was $1.50 back when I started to drive.
confused.gif

More on the Fit:
"Introduced in 2001 in Japan, it was already outselling everyone by the end of the year.
Over the course of 2002, the Fit consistently continued its fantastic performance and by the end of the year, it had achieved what no other model by Honda or any manufacturer has managed to do for the last thirty-three consecutive years - it actually out-sold the mighty Toyota Corolla!"

Source

quote:

That Fit won a 7-car comparison in the latest Car and Driver in, as they put it, "a cake-walk". It sounds pretty good; nothing even came close in that comparison.

The competition included the Dodge Caliber, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio5, Nissan Versa, Suzuki Reno, and Toyota Yaris.

Surprised?
Even if the Honda wasn't even driven it would of won
rolleyes.gif

^^ Yeah -- and the KIA came in ahead of TOYOTA! I'm still not sold onthe looks of any of these cars -- except maybe the 2 last place losers: Reno & Caliber.

quote:

That 200W would be the standard ILS rating (If Lightning Strikes).

They're probably using one of those TDA series $5 amplifier chips. 22W RMS per channel, 50W max per channel, 4 channels, there's your 200W.

Basically, the essential guts of those $20 "booster amplifiers" that Radio Shack once sold, and the same amplifier used by just about all aftermarket headunits these days.

offtopic.gif

I'm guessing that the output spec on any head unit would be very close to the following:

5W RMS per channel, all channels driven, 20Hz-20kHz at 0.1% THD.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Surprised?
Even if the Honda wasn't even driven it would of won
rolleyes.gif

Not a Car and Driver fan? C&D is my personal favorite car magazine. Either way, I don't think they favor Honda at all. They weren't too fond of the last-gen Civic and even gave it 5th (out of 10) in 2003, behind the Mazda Protege, Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla, and Ford Focus. I think Honda has been doing good in that magazine recently because they're making really good cars.

Kinda cool yes. But I want to see beter MPG. ~30 is not big deal anymore. V6 cars are getting 30+MPG

But what is the point of paddle shifters on a 10 sec 0-60 car?
dunno.gif
I don't see it.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
Kinda cool yes. But I want to see beter MPG. ~30 is not big deal anymore. V6 cars are getting 30+MPG

But what is the point of paddle shifters on a 10 sec 0-60 car?
dunno.gif
I don't see it.

You must be kidding...
Yes, in the relax cruising mode the most of the modern V6's will get around 30 mpg.
Yet you don't take into an account that under similar conditions the Fit or Yaris will get close to 40 mpg and often more.
The important figure would be the real world driving with gridlock, traffic jams, stop-n-go etc, etc.
Now try to compare your big car with a V6 to a small and nimble Fit or Yaris.
The difference now would be more than 10 mpg, if not 15!!!

10 sec car???
According to these figures it's more like 8.7-9.0, almost as fast as the 2.4L Accord!!!

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back