Important maintenance items not in Owner's Manuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose mentioning the obvious again can't hurt:
Brake fluid replacement
Tires: pressure check; rotation and alignment to prevent uneven wear; and pick glass, gravel, etc from tread.
Battery: Electrolyte level and grease terminals
Headlight aim

Frankly, state inspections would catch many of these overlooked trouble areas. I say bring them back to save people from their own neglect.

Quote:

Frankly, state inspections would catch many of these overlooked trouble areas. I say bring them back to save people from their own neglect.

I live in NJ and we have state inspections. They are only interested in emissions. And not what is coming out your tailpipe but what the OBDII computer says. And if you did any modifications even if they don't trigger an OBDII MIL, such as exhaust and manifold mods. They see if the wipers work, turn signals, brake lights, brakes and head lights. They don't even check the aim of the head lights anymore.

I was in and out of the inspection station within 5 minutes.

Whimsey

What the Virginia safety inspection manual says is supposed to be checked and what actually gets checked are two different things.

There is no way that for the $15 a safety inspection pays a shop is going to do a real thorough check.

Quote:

Quote:

...the manufacturers are more interested in selling cars, not keeping them running forever. While they are running, they want you to bring them to their service department to maximize their profits..

Yes, but auto manufacturers have little to nothing to do with privately owned and operated dealerships.

Joel

You are right Joel. But I believe that there is an indirect effect in that the dealerships don't have to extract as much profit from the new car sale which helps the manufacturer sell more cars.

The dealerships clean up especially on the sale of their off-lease cars and the 2-4 year old traded in cars as well as in the service department.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what goes on in the marketplace. It is what it is. If you are aware, you can game the system to your favor.

Same in my bizz..I sell a phone system, a voice mail, or a network or a home theater, usually at break-even, or in the worst case, a loss, as do all my competitors. I'm not "selling" a system, I'm "buying" a paying customer to whom I will sell service down the road..

And so it is with the Car Stealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back