Import tire changers & balancers

D60

I've been casually shopping for used but everything that comes up is astronomically priced, looks like scrap metal, or isn't under power so I can't verify it even powers up (primarily concerned with balancers on the latter)

I'd likely only do one set of tires per month on average, and I'm seriously tempted to risk the Chinese changer and balancer combos. Something like this, and reviews are overall good:

I did find one thread, but it kinda wandered off:

Finally, I'd appreciate not debating the "why" or "value" of getting machines vs continuing to use a tire shop. No one else can gauge the value or convenience for my situation, nor can I for another person.

i have a similar pair of machines , 5 years 30 tires a day or better and they are holding strong.
you'll be replacing hoses and the odd switch but overall they have outlasted my expectations.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
i have a similar pair of machines , 5 years 30 tires a day or better and they are holding strong.
you'll be replacing hoses and the odd switch but overall they have outlasted my expectations.
That is very helpful feedback, thank you!

If anyone else has input I'd love to hear it

Also if anyone knows a particular brand to tend to have higher standards? I mean Mayflower is kind of common, and Eastwood private labels some. There's also Corghi which has a lower-end line of machines.

I don't want total garbage but I don't need to mount tires all day every day. And it would be nice to balance at least up to 35's. Even 33's are basically stock on a lot of trucks these days like Rebels, Rubicons etc

I've been casually shopping for used but everything that comes up is astronomically priced, looks like scrap metal, or isn't under power so I can't verify it even powers up (primarily concerned with balancers on the latter)

I'd likely only do one set of tires per month on average, and I'm seriously tempted to risk the Chinese changer and balancer combos. Something like this, and reviews are overall good:

I did find one thread, but it kinda wandered off:

Finally, I'd appreciate not debating the "why" or "value" of getting machines vs continuing to use a tire shop. No one else can gauge the value or convenience for my situation, nor can I for another person.
Are thete any local shops closing up and selling off their shop tools? Might be a good way to snag something cheap.

Are thete any local shops closing up and selling off their shop tools? Might be a good way to snag something cheap.
The Cortez Big O was just blowing out a bunch. These were some that looked like scrap metal and were not under power (moved offsite). When pressed, she couldn't guarantee the balancers even worked.

Honestly, any machine that's lived its life in a Big O kinda worries me. Most of the guys at our local store are NOT brain trusts. I've received center caps that don't match and worse. Our local store largely uses guys on probation. Now there's nothing wrong with making amends and getting your life back on track, but most of them are there because they are REQUIRED to have a job and not because they are at all interested in automotive anything. People like that rarely respect tools or equipment.

While I avoid Chinese tools, I assume they are made for shop use which might be a dozen or more tires a day, so for your home use it should be fine. I'd just worry about parts and service down the line. I have a Snap On hand crank balancer and a Coats tire machine bought maybe 15 or 20 years ago for about $1000 each. Good tools ain't cheap.

You should get a used Snap-On hand crank balancer. Easy on floor space, dead nuts reliable. Here's one in NH for $500.

I'm going to judge the value of doing your own tires, it's the greatest money maker and convenience you can have in your own shop. Play "the rim game" getting junk snow tires on nice rims for free because people don't know how to dispose of them, or get tires & rims, separate them, and sell one or the other for what you paid for both.

Not to mention you can skip snooty tire stores and all their made-up rules. Go for it, it's better than you imagine!

Last edited:
That is very helpful feedback, thank you!

If anyone else has input I'd love to hear it

Also if anyone knows a particular brand to tend to have higher standards? I mean Mayflower is kind of common, and Eastwood private labels some. There's also Corghi which has a lower-end line of machines.

I don't want total garbage but I don't need to mount tires all day every day. And it would be nice to balance at least up to 35's. Even 33's are basically stock on a lot of trucks these days like Rebels, Rubicons etc
corghi has always been best with parts and quality imo.

thats what i have for my high end tire machine. their cheap stuff is top notch as well

I am in the same situation - while I have no interest in the tire business - there are plenty of times I passed up some income by not being able to replace TPMS sensors or balancing tires when diagnosis point to tire balance. I also would love to have it for my own use and buy tires cheaper. All the used I see are junk as well.

Seems like the harbor freight changer was $39.99 and had a bubble balancer

My dad said he could pop a tire off and a new one on by hand in about 5 minutes, I’m guessing he had to be full of sweat

Back